Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Help needed

I am a student currently studying for a diploma in I.T and as part of my course i need to do a project - my project is based on photography and as this website/forum is mainly to do with photography question. I was wondering if you will be willing to fill in my questionnaire to help me with my project.

Questionnaire
(Based on technological changes to photographic equipment)

Name: ___________________

Gender (strikeout inappropriate) - male or female

Age –

□ 10-14
□ 15-20
□ 21-25
□ 26-30
□ 31-35
□ 36-40
□ 40-45
□ 45+

Question 1:
How often do you use a camera?

Question 2:
Has the improvement in photographic equipment affected you? If yea why? If no why?

Question 3:
Do you prefer to use digital cameras rather than film cameras? Why?

Question 4:
Is the picture quality better with digital cameras than film?

Question 5:
Did you find it easy swapping from film camera to digital? Why?

I would really appreciate if you filled this in.

Thanks Gemma

10-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No offense, but as this is your first post, and you are asking for name, age and gender, this smacks a little of a phishing scam.
10-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure, I'll play. I've got a few spare minutes. If your phishing, you aren't going to learn much from me.

QuoteOriginally posted by gem-gem-94 Quote
I am a student currently studying for a diploma in I.T and as part of my course i need to do a project - my project is based on photography and as this website/forum is mainly to do with photography question. I was wondering if you will be willing to fill in my questionnaire to help me with my project.

Questionnaire

Name: _Wheatfield___________

Gender (strikeout inappropriate) - male

Age –

□ 10-14
□ 15-20
□ 21-25
□ 26-30
□ 31-35
□ 36-40
□ 40-45
*45+

Question 1:

Frequently

Question 2:
Has the improvement in photographic equipment affected you? If yea why? If no why?

Yes. It's allowed a lot of talentless no nothing people to call themselves photographers.

Question 3:

I prefer film cameras, but the reality is that digital is here to stay, so I use what I need to use to get paid.

Question 4:

No

Question 5:

Yes. I use multiple film formats, so the switch to digital was just learning another format.

Thanks Gemma
Yer welcome.
10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Questionnaire

Name: __Wildnsyko___

Gender (strikeout inappropriate) - female

Age –

□ 10-14
□ 15-20
□ 21-25
□ 26-30
□ 31-35
□ 36-40
* 40-45
□ 45+

Question 1:

As often as I have time. Work nights, sleep days so time is not usually on my side... nor the weather.

Question 2:

Improvement as far as film compared to digital. Digital makes the pictures instantly seen instead of having to wait until you send the film off to be developed. Or as I used to do, forget about a roll and have no idea what's on it. Good example is: I found a roll the other day. I haven't shot film in over a year. This ought to be interesting to see what I've missed.

Question 3:

Pretty much the same answer as above.

Question 4:

Depends on who took the picture.

Question 5:

Yes. The controls are the same pretty on all SLRs.

Thanks Gemma

Done and good luck!

10-13-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Parallax thanks for the comment and I totally understand what you mean however - i only got told today about having three weeks to complete my project and that as part of a the project i need to put a questionnnaire onto a internet based forum.
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Gemma.
Knowing a little more about you would help to dispel some of the doubt surrounding your request.
How about an introduction of yourself in the Welcomes and Introductions section?
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Banned

I dont believe the forum allows strikeout of text.

Name: Séamuis Moore

Age –

□ 10-20
□ 21-30
□ 31-40
□ 41-50
□ 51-60
□ 61-70
□ 71-80
□ 81-90
□ 91+

Question 1:

every day.

Question 2:

it has allowed me to practice photographic tecniques without having to pay for each frame. it has allowed me to explore various forms of photography and styles with the use of older lenses and techniques with a modern camera body. and in general, allowed me to get shots I wouldnt have been able to otherwise.

Question 3:

I would say that I do not at this stage prefer one format over the other. I currently use both side by side to take advantage of the strengths of each format.

Question 4:

this is subjective, when one takes into accout the lenses used, and what film format you are using for capture, ie: 35mm, medium format, large format, etc. but for my own use and expierence, 35mm vs APS-C digital, the film still gives me better results overall in regards to image quality.

Question 5:

in my case, yes. I may be a bit unique in this, but I actually use the two side by side in daily use. and with a system that can use all of my lenses interchangebly, I find that I have very few ddifficulties working between the two.

Last edited by séamuis; 10-13-2009 at 02:03 PM.
10-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
mel
Veteran Member

Given the age range of the people on this forum why do you stop your age brackets at 45+? Do only people in the younger brackets matter in terms of their age? Do you not think that there might be a difference in photographic attituded between someone who is 45 and someone who is maybe 75? The 75 year old would have seen a whole lot of photographic developments and perhaps making the change to digital would be a lot more significant that someone who hasn't known anything else.

I think your first 4 age bracket can be merged into two and add a couple more at the other end. We don't all just die after 45.
10-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Questionnaire

Name: Timo Torma

Age –

□ 10-14
□ 15-20
□ 21-25
□ 26-30
□ 31-35
□ 36-40
□ 40-45
* 45+

Question 1:
Weekly (if I'm not traveling for work)

Question 2:
Yes it has. Before I had to wait to see a result, now there can be more try-check-retry based work. And generally for me as non-professional it gives better results faster. It also gives a good method to improve my skills as I can take several photos and compare "real time".

Question 3:
At the moment digital seems to be almost a must as every day fewer shops actually do film work.

Question 4:
Depends on the camera and film.
As such film has better quality, but taking in count that with digital you can take as many samples as your memory allows and do post processing, digital is coming close.

Question 5:
For me it was easy. But I'm an engineer and thus used to work with new technical stuff.

Thanks Gemma

Glad if I could help!
10-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Questionnaire

Name: Ashraf

Gender - male

Age –

□ 10-14
□ 15-20
□ 21-25
□ 26-30
X 31-35
□ 36-40
□ 40-45
□ 45+

Question 1:
Varies according to work/life balance. Can be daily during holidays down to weekly when life gets busy in other ways.

Question 2:
Technological advances have enticed me to upgrade my gear in the past, however I'm quite pleased at present with the camera I have. I have a growing working collection of lenses, mainly for the pursuit of producing brilliant images.

Question 3:
Yes. Film cameras are great, they have helped to teach me a lot about photography, but the instant feedback and versatility of customising settings with digital cameras make them more desirable to use. No longer is there a need to change films for different sensitivity settings or adding filters to change colour temperature.

Question 4:
Not necessarily. Good film matched with a good camera and lens can be hard to beat, but as high-end sensors are continually developed digital is quickly matching film in resolution.

Question 5:
Yes. I am quite comfortable with the operation of most consumer electronic equipment, being brought up in an environment rich with such toys, so it was all second nature to me shifting to digital.

Cheers.
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks 'Mel' for you advice on my age ranges, as a results I have made some changes

Questionnaire

Name: ___________________

Age –

□ 10-20
□ 21-30
□ 31-40
□ 41-50
□ 51-60
□ 61-70
□ 71-80
□ 81-90
□ 91+

Question 1:

Question 2:

Question 3:

Question 4:

Question 5:

Thanks Gemma
10-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Given the age range of the people on this forum why do you stop your age brackets at 45+? Do only people in the younger brackets matter in terms of their age? Do you not think that there might be a difference in photographic attituded between someone who is 45 and someone who is maybe 75? The 75 year old would have seen a whole lot of photographic developments and perhaps making the change to digital would be a lot more significant that someone who hasn't known anything else.

I think your first 4 age bracket can be merged into two and add a couple more at the other end. We don't all just die after 45.
I agree with Mel. As far as I recall, when there was a previous age poll here, it turned out that we had members that was 70+. Why do you stop at 45? Do you think "elder" people are too stupid to understand a digital camera? Don't you think it can be as significant differences between someone who is 50, 60 or 70 as between some who are 20, 30, or 40?

Several of your other questions are impossible for me to answer with yes or no the way you want. I did not stop shooting film just because I started using digital cameras. I think that apply to a lot of us. The same apply to other questions. The answer is not just a yes or no.
10-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Sure, why not? Let's see..

Name: Ryuu Tsukiouji

Age –
□ 21-25

Question 1:
I try to shoot at least 1 rolls of 135-36 film along with ~100-200 digital pictures per week, mostly on a weekends. If highlighting some events, add 500-2000 more digital pictures per month.

Question 2:
Well, it made equpment cost less and easier to use.
Also, dSLR improve skills rapidly.

Question 3:
Digital is for journalism due to time of producion. Film is mostly for myself (e.g. is for fun).

Question 4:
Near all of photolabs at our town spoil film prints with under- or overexposure. Thus, digital prints are of higher quality.
But film negatives, I must say, may just be equally or even better than digital RAWs.
Also, I must state, b/w film & prints home processing is fun.

Question 5:
I use my dSLR in Manual mode from the beginnig of my photographic journey, so there is no pain in swapping cameras at all.
Also, I'm fond of rangefinders (my film cameras of choice), and use TLR ocassionally. I guess, that sums up too.
10-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Name: ___little laker________________

Age –

□ 40-45

Question 1:

Frequently

Question 2:

yes, it allowed me to get started easier.

Question 3:

Film, I find it more of a challenge, in some ways. Plus the results more pleasing in some ways.

Question 4:

That really depends upon the situation. I actually chose a digital camera which has a very film like appearance to the photographs.

Question 5:

No problems at all. It's just another format.

Thanks Gemma
no problem
10-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
graphicgr8s

Questionnaire

Name: George

Age –

□ 45+

Question 1:
Every day

Question 2:
Not really. Equipment is a tool.

Question 3:
I like both. Each has a place and a use.

Question 4:
No.

Question 5:
Sure it was easy. Again the camera is just a tool. Your basics regarding composition, exposure, etc. follow the same rules

Thanks Gemma
Hope it helps

George