Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 Adapter stuck on M42 lenses

I just got a Super Takumar 135 f/2.5 M42 mount. I purchased a M42 from B&H last week. I've used it on my Tak 200mm f/4 with no problem.
It went on okay but would not go all the way. I then tried to take it off and had to use the release lenses button to removed it from the body. It's on there pretty good. Any ideas? I've tried putting it on ice, used a rubber mat trying to twist it off. No go. I'm thinking it's dremel time and buy another M42 adapter and try and see if the threads are messed up on the lenses.

Any help would be great.

03-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Glee:

First, do not ice the adapter, this will tighten it onto the lens as it will make it smaller. Try using a hair dryer to warm it up. Also, try putting the entire unit in the freezer and then hitting it with the hair dryer. The lens will stay at a low temperature longer than the ring. You may want to put the entire rig into a plastic bag before putting it in the freezer so you do not get issues with condensation once you take it out.

Good luck! I know this situation can be a big bugger of a problem!
03-07-2011, 05:56 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Inactive Account

If you're trying to remove the adapter from the lens, use a K mount rear cap so you can get hold of it. I've removed adapters that were Glued on this way.

03-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You say you bought this adapter from B&H?
Would it happen to be Bower?
If so, there should be a small screw with a metal tab on the outside of the mount, between two of the prongs. Pay close attention to the following.

TAKE IT OFF FOR THE LOVE OF WHATEVER DEITY YOU BELIEVE IN!

I can't stress that enough. It almost buggered the threads on my Chinon 55mm. Once it's off the adapter should come on and off fairly easily.
It seems the screw is a few fractions of a millimeter too long, and it catches the threads. Remove it and you're golden.

03-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
You say you bought this adapter from B&H?
Would it happen to be Bower?
If so, there should be a small screw with a metal tab on the outside of the mount, between two of the prongs. Pay close attention to the following.

TAKE IT OFF FOR THE LOVE OF WHATEVER DEITY YOU BELIEVE IN!

I can't stress that enough. It almost buggered the threads on my Chinon 55mm. Once it's off the adapter should come on and off fairly easily.
It seems the screw is a few fractions of a millimeter too long, and it catches the threads. Remove it and you're golden.
Yes, it's a Bower. I thought it was giving it a problem. I'll take it off and give it a go and see what happens. So far, all of the other tricks have failed. However, if I leave it on, I can still use it but the focus is off and I have to adjust for it.. However, not what I want to do for a lens I just paid over $100.
03-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Once it's off you'll probably have to screw and unscrew the adapter from the lens, rather than leaving the adapter on the body and mounting the lens directly to the body, HOWEVER, there should be minimal, if any, risk of stripped threads. And unless you go way overboard it's not too hard to screw and unscrew directly from the lens, especially if you have a K-mount rear cap.
Let me know how it goes.
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Yes, it's a Bower. I thought it was giving it a problem. I'll take it off and give it a go and see what happens. So far, all of the other tricks have failed. However, if I leave it on, I can still use it but the focus is off and I have to adjust for it.. However, not what I want to do for a lens I just paid over $100.
Well I must have over tighten it when I was trying to get it to go on, or put too much pressure trying to get it off. It's not going to come off without the dremel cutting it off. So, I'm going to order the Pentax one, and another one like the Bower but remove the pin.
I had a feeling that pin didn't look right.

---------- Post added 03-07-11 at 07:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Once it's off you'll probably have to screw and unscrew the adapter from the lens, rather than leaving the adapter on the body and mounting the lens directly to the body, HOWEVER, there should be minimal, if any, risk of stripped threads. And unless you go way overboard it's not too hard to screw and unscrew directly from the lens, especially if you have a K-mount rear cap.
Let me know how it goes.
I'm able to use it that way for the moment. Yet, if will not focus at the long end at 135mm.

Here the focus light says it's focused.

Here it's in focus, but I have to turn it just pass where it's suppose to be in focus.

I keep at it until I get it fixed, but a lesson to be learned the hard way for sure...

Last edited by glee46; 03-13-2011 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Change size of pictures
03-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got it Off

I had to use a Dremel & cut the stupid thing off. I was lucky I didn't cut the threads on the lens. The B&H M42 Adapter is a Bower. It's solid, but would have been nice to know about that screw and flange. I ordered Two M42 adapters from Fotodiox. They were $11 each and they are outstanding. They're hard plastic, but they go in with no problem at all and work great. Now, I'm going to email B&H and send this thing back to them.

I should point out that all the effort I had to put on the lenses to get it out has messed up the one lenses focus at the far end. I'll have to figure out how to fix that. Any ideas are welcome.

Last edited by glee46; 03-13-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Needed to add another comment
03-13-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

ALERT!

B&H had supposedly started selling the original Pentax Adapter over the last few weeks for LESS than direct from Pentax--but this experience here says NO, that this is NOT true and this is NOT the original!!!

And it's just a crappy Bower, of which I have two that I spit upon.

What gives???
03-13-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I warned about the Bower's adapter long time ago in

Hin's Tech Corner: Warning on Bower M42 adapter

All the best,
Hin
03-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bower & Fotodiox

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I warned about the Bower's adapter long time ago in

Hin's Tech Corner: Warning on Bower M42 adapter

All the best,
Hin
Here is a picture of the Bower after I cut it off.

There is some small but maybe big differences between the Bower & Fotodiox M42 Adapters. Here is the Fotodiox M42

Here you can see the difference with the size of the flange on both of them.

This is a better view of how the red dot is located in a different position between the two. Not sure if it make a difference.

03-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

There is common knowledge among m42 lovers to get the genuine pentax adapter -- its build is much better and is not prone to have stuck lens due to worn out screw and locking plate as in the bowers.

The best place to buy this: PentaxWebstore Mount Adapter K(35m m Screwmount to Bayonet)

While some other 3rd party adapter may be better than the bowers, there are simply too many horrible stories such as yours to stay away from 3rd party adapter. You can visit my prior blog posts for my past experience

Hin's Tech Corner: m42 adapter

and without a doubt, I always recommend the genuine adapter from Pentax. Many of the 3rd party adapter have large flange that will prevent the lens for infinity focus.

Hope this helps you,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 03-14-2011 at 12:41 PM.
03-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The flanges look very big; do they fit inside the mount of the camera or are they laying on top of it (so basically outside the camera)?

If the latter, it explains your infinity focus issue. The whole adaptor should fit inside the camera mount (unless you want to loose infinity focus).
03-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You all so very smart...

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
The flanges look very big; do they fit inside the mount of the camera or are they laying on top of it (so basically outside the camera)?

If the latter, it explains your infinity focus issue. The whole adapter should fit inside the camera mount (unless you want to loose infinity focus).
Hindman... You're right. I agree that the Genuine Pentax one is the best choice. I ordered mine a few weeks back and it's still not here.

Ya, the flange is on the outside.

So, that could be the reason why it won't focus at anything over 35 yards away?

You're right about the infinity focus as well. I checked it on my 200 & 55 and same problem. I wonder if there's a way to hack these suckers since I got two and have no idea when the Genuine Pentax one will show up.

Last edited by glee46; 03-14-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Correction spelling, and corrected my post
03-14-2011, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Your best adapter with the genuine pentax m42 will eventually come.

Even with the adapter, it is still advisable to take pre-cautions especially in dismounting. You don't want to find yourself dropping the adapter into the sensor. I find a great video with instruction that you can reference

and I have few tips on dismounting in Hin's Tech Corner: Informative M42 mounting YouTube video

Once you get your genuine adapter, the troubles is all worth it as you can pretty much meter in Av mode with M42 lens. Though you won't have the F aperture recorded in the EXIF, I find the Av mode working quite well in metering in my K20D

All the best,
Hin