Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

Thin white vertical lines in photos

Hi All-

I recently had some service work on my Pentax K7 where they replaced the PCB and updated the firmware. I have started shooting again and am now seeing thin white vertical lines in all of my photos. It is most noticeable in darker portions of the images but it is visible even in light sections too. Any ideas as to what might be causing this and how to correct it? Is this an issue with the camera settings or a default in the firmware?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!

Last edited by gharber; 03-19-2011 at 02:12 PM.
03-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do not know the specific cause of the problem, sorry, but there is no setting in the camera to cause vertical lines. I'm guessing it is hardware.

I would return it to service.
03-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gharber Quote
Hi All-

I recently had some service work on my Pentax K7 where they replaced the PCB and updated the firmware. I have started shooting again and am now seeing thin white vertical lines in all if my photos. It is most noticeable in darker portions of the images but it is visible even in light sections too. Any ideas as to what might be causing this and how to correct it? Is this an issue with the camera settings or a default in the firmware?

Many thanks for any advice you can offer!
Can you post a picture that has that problem? That would certainly help the diagnosis.
03-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sound like the kind of banding I've seen when outdoors under very cold conditions. In that situation I put it down to the battery slowing as it gets colder. (I could be wrong of course.) If you are sure your battery is healthy and fully charged and this appears on every shot I would return the camera for further servicing.

-Joe

03-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
I'm completely new to the forum and am unfamiliar with posting images to the site, so I posted some shots to my Flickr page: Flickr: gharber's Photostream The first three photos (caracara, salvia and alligator) show the lines in the darker segments of the images. If you need to enlarge them to see the lines click the ACTIONS icon at the top left corner of the image and then select View All Sizes. Many thanks for your feedback thus far.
03-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Definitely back to service, unfortunately. Photos should not come out of the camera in that manner.
03-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Definitely back to service, unfortunately. Photos should not come out of the camera in that manner.
+1 something is really wrong with it. You should return it ASAP.