Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Lens change button fell off

So changing lenses and noticed a button on the floor and then looked at my camera to see that it was the lens change button. I have the button so I tried putting it back on but its not staying on. Can I just take this to a shop to get a quick fix or should I send it in to Pentax. I currently live in Italy but am on vacation in New Jersey. I am concerned about the weather sealing the button has a little cone shaped rubber thing around it and I am wondering if just putting it back on is correctly sealing it. I have had my camera a few months now and have already managed to fall into a stream with it and been caught in two down pours. The sealing is very important to me.

Last edited by Viperwife; 08-23-2011 at 09:52 PM.
08-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm sure someone will help you with your issue, though I'm afraid there's nothing I can offer. I just had to comment on the fact that you live in Italy and are vacationing in NJ. At first I thought I must have read that backwards. Sort of like an angel vacationing in hell. (No offense to those who live in NJ)
08-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ha Ha yeah seriously well its not so much of vacation as seeing my American friends/family while my husband is in Iceland. The reason I mentioned it is should I try to get it fixed in person while I am here in America.
08-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Which camera do you have? Model ? K-5, K-7, K20d, ...

It may help anyone who might be able to assist.

08-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
It is the K5
08-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Sort of like an angel vacationing in hell. (No offense to those who live in NJ)
None taken.
I've even vacationed in Tenn. at times.
But, be aware that when you do pass on we will be trying
to get first claim on your soul.
How do you think we get all of those cast members for The Jersey Shore fiasco?
08-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Closed Account

Sadly, I have heard several K-5 owners complain about loosing this button recently. Just one more thing to keep my eyes on. Good luck to you!

08-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomK Quote
None taken.
I've even vacationed in Tenn. at times.
But, be aware that when you do pass on we will be trying
to get first claim on your soul.
How do you think we get all of those cast members for The Jersey Shore fiasco?
Yeah, luckily I know enough folks from NJ to know that show is not indicative of your population as a whole (thank God!). I wonder how many people across the country think it is, though?
08-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #9

I have a new K-R, and the button just fell off of mine...only had it for about 3 weeks. Using a push-pin with the point cut off for now. I have a vacation scheduled in October, so I don't want to try to warranty it yet. I would welcome any suggestions about either the warranty process or the workaround.
08-31-2011, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Favourite Japanese crap design this. Injection mold a soft plastic component with a stem and a groove. Stick a steel circlip round it into the groove and load the item in tension. Then be surprised, after you've made a few tens of thousand and the mold die wears, that they start failing where the groove is. Sony H series bridge cameras had a shutter button made like this. Always used to pop off.
08-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Forum Member

For what it's worth, I've had pretty good success with replacing the lens button on my K5 by using a tiny bit of super glue to reset the button (make sure it doesn't freeze up), and then adding a narrow strip of black duct tape across the button for insurance.

No problems since.
09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Homefree Quote
I have a new K-R, and the button just fell off of mine...only had it for about 3 weeks. Using a push-pin with the point cut off for now. I have a vacation scheduled in October, so I don't want to try to warranty it yet. I would welcome any suggestions about either the warranty process or the workaround.
I called Pentax and all I have to do is send in the body with a note explaining the problem and copy of the proof of purchase and it will take 15 to 20 business days to fix. I am skeptical on the time frame I feel like it will take longer and I want my camera for the next few months so I am gonna wait to send it in and use a piece of tape over the button since I still have it.

It seems that every one that has had this problem had it happen early on I have been using 2 lens for only a few weeks so I think anyone that has used this button for awhile has nothing to worry about.
09-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CRIS usually is pretty good about time frames. It took 3 weeks for them to get replacement parts (all new guts) for my K20. I would think that this would be pretty straight forward.

I just saw that you are in Italy - I don't know where Pentax services are (although I think I read somewhere they moved from Germany to France?). Anyway - I would think that it should be pretty simple.

09-03-2011, 09:57 AM   #14

Original Poster
The address they want me to send it to is in Colorado. All my mail goes through New York anyways so sending it to America is cheaper than Europe.
09-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

How about a chat with your dealer?
Some dealers are very understanding.
Perhaps they would loan you a camera while yours is being repaired.

Mickey