Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #1

K1000 damaged after using m42 adapter

I attempted mounting a m42 lens to my K1000 using what I assumed was an original Pentax adapter. Printed directly on the metal of the ring was "M42-Pentax Japan".

After connecting it to my camera, the lens mounted just fine.

In removing the adapter (using the tool provided) it was stuck. After some effort the adapter ring did come off...as did a small metal plate (afterwards I learned the plate was attached to the adapter ring itself).

I've since mounted a standard k-mount lens to the camera and the aperture ring doesn't fully function - only shuts down half as much as it used to. Any suggestions?

I fear that I've ruined one of my two vintage K1000's....

10-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Morning,

If a tool came with the adapter, then it would not be a genuine Pentax M42 K mount adapter.Also, if something did occur to your K1000 then Eric can probably make it perfect.Eric has been repairing Pentax film cameras for years (he started out with Pentax). He is almost a legend here on the Forums.
Eric has exchanged mounts on two of my Contax Carl Zeiss lenses (each 25 to 30 years old). Excellent job and a fair price.

10-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by theperfectionist Quote
I attempted mounting a m42 lens to my K1000 using what I assumed was an original Pentax adapter. Printed directly on the metal of the ring was "M42-Pentax Japan".

After connecting it to my camera, the lens mounted just fine.

In removing the adapter (using the tool provided) it was stuck. After some effort the adapter ring did come off...as did a small metal plate (afterwards I learned the plate was attached to the adapter ring itself).

I've since mounted a standard k-mount lens to the camera and the aperture ring doesn't fully function - only shuts down half as much as it used to. Any suggestions?

I fear that I've ruined one of my two vintage K1000's....
Throw the 'tool' in the garbage. It is too thick to get in there, release the spring on the adapter, and allow you to turn it. A simple fine point Ink pen will release the spring locking the adapter on. Of course, that's hindsight knowledge but for next time, you will know.

10-24-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is just a guess, but your post has made me look at my KX, since the mount is exactly the same as your old K1000.

I suspect that the "tool" hit the aperture reading lever, which when yuou face your K1000 with a lens un mounted, is sitting at about the 2:00 position. The tool will sweep past this point whe you remove the M42 adaptor.

If you look closely at the tool, it may have a recess on one side to avoid this. I have not really paid attention as I use my screw mounts on my digital cameras and there is no risk of hitting this lever because it was deleted

10-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theperfectionist Quote
You've got the plate, what about the screw attaching it to the adapter.....? Although small, it might be stuck inside the camera somewhere?