Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2011, 07:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

corrupted raw files due to sd card

Hi all,

I got a new sandisk class 4 sd card, and i started to get a lot of corrupted file during shooting, i shoot with raw files. The camera will appear 'failed to generate preview' an error message like these.

But if i use the camera features to develop it to a jpg, it is successful, so i assume it means the raw files are okay, just failed to generate a preview jpg for it.

When i tried to import it to lightroom, or open with photoshop, both software are not recognizing it.

I am using pentax kx.

If the a way to repair those raw files?

10-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a card with which he camera works correctly?
10-27-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Do you have a card with which he camera works correctly?
yes, my old card same specifications, 8g class 4, kingston..never has a single failed images.

but this sandisk 8g, class 4 had failed many times, and i have even exchanged a new one from the store i bought. I have given up with this card now, just to think about anyway i can repair those files.

It seems to me the data are there..pentax kx can develop it to jpg in camera, but not the software on my computer when i had copied it to computer harddisk.
10-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

How about copying your files to your computer and seeing if you can load them into photoshop from there? I've had the same issue with a couple of cards... and never found a solution, but copying to my desktop lets me by-pass the corrupted files in some cases. For me, if I could get the file to my desktop, I could load it...sounds like you have a different problem.

10-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know about repairing the files, but make sure you format the card either with your computer or the camera before shooting any more. This will repair the filesystem which is obviously corrupted.
10-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #6

Could try Recuva file recovery and try to take the pics off the card and then see if they are still corrupted? Though, if you have used the card already, that greatly decreases your chance of recovering anything, if at all since I'm not sure if Recuva can recover raw.
10-29-2011, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There is a difference between recovering a deleted file and restoring a corrupted file to a usable state. I doubt very much it can restore corrupted files. From their website
QuoteQuote:
Accidentally deleted an important file? Lost something important when your computer crashed? No problem! Recuva recovers files deleted from your Windows computer, Recycle Bin, digital camera card, or MP3 player. And it's free!
I on purpose corrupted a DNG and a jpeg file and deleted them (else recuva does not even find it). After recovering, there was no change.

10-30-2011, 12:27 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
yes, it is not about recovering a file from card due to deletion or card problem

the raw file seems had failed to generate a preview in camera, due to the slow speed of card writing.

I can develop the raw file into a jpg inside the camera features, but the raw files are not recognised in adobe lightroom or photoshop. maybe there are some software from pentax can read it and save as a proper format raw files?

I google internet, there are some people having same problem using k7.. anyone else has similar problems?
10-30-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

From your description, it sounds like a bad card. If the camera can process any raw image on the card (not just the last one that is still in the buffer) it sounds like a corrupted preview image. That might also be the reason that your PP software complains.

If so, there might be a chance that you can save the loaded image to another format (e.g. the native format of the program you're using); I'm not familiar with the PP software that you use so can't say for sure.

Test your card with the program(s) given in post #20 in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/131710-damaged-fil...-images-2.html. I've never used it, so be aware that it might be a destructive test meaning that all data will be lost.

Note: you might as well have a counterfeit card; you can contact Sandisk and they might be able give you pointers what to look for.
10-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anna Go Quote
To restore files from sd card you can use this program: Undelete - How To Undelete Files - Undelete Deleted Files - Undelete Software
it does it very good)
Undelete does not help as files are not deleted / lost. They are corrupted.
11-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
ya, it is corrupted format of file, the file still can be copied to harddisk. Something wrong is happened when the raw file is generating the preview in camera.. I am able to use the in-camera features to develop it to a jpg, but lightroom and photoshop doesn't recognize.

I wonder did pentax develop any softeware for their raw files? I remember the pentax kx comes with some software..

I have exchanged the card but both cards are having same kind of problem.
11-01-2011, 05:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Your camera comes with with software. Search for the CD and install