Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Whale watching

Going Puerto Vallarta in a couple weeks, and to try to get to see the whales there. Is there any settings that i should use on a k200 witha 18-250mm pentax. never did this before so any help would be nice

02-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #2

I would recommend you buy a polarizing filter if you haven't got one, it will cut down on the glare on the water, also I recommend you shoot with fast shutter speeds to offset camera movement with the longer focal distance plus whatever movement the boat will make.
02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Would you use tv setting and what iso? I would use a polarizing filter for sure.Would a person use shake reduction or not. Any help would be greatly apprecated.
02-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neil1 Quote
Going Puerto Vallarta in a couple weeks,
Do be very careful. A few areas of Mexico can be unsafe these days and at times even being in a group is not much of a safeguard.

Will you hope to be on a boat for the whale experiences or lookouts along the beach?
Some of the settings are probably less important than your personal experience. Whatever settings and modes you use most often and are most familiar with might be best to help you secure some interesting images. If you are in a mode or setting that is less familiar to you and an issue bothers you, it could cost you your shot.

02-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I cant speak of the mexican coast, but doing whale watching out of boston, the whales are close enough that you dont need to be overly concerned about long lenses. They can come almost to the boat.

SR will help because among other things the boat is moving. also consider if it is a sunny day even the relitively slow 18-250 will givegood shutter speeds at reasonable ISO so as others have indicated just about any reasonable setting should work
02-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

I agree with Nowhere Matt, the settings will depend on what you encounter. Heavy overcast days will mean higher ISO and lower f-stops, longer focal lengths will require faster shutter speeds regardless of the weather conditions. The mode will depend on what you're most comfortable with. I am partial to Av, that way I set the aperture to the fastest aperture the lens will allow while maintaining image quality, then if I see the shutter speed is too low I raise ISO until I get what I need.
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Go to vacations photos | vacations images,vacation pictures for our whale watching shots from a "Shore Excursion" during an Alaska Cruise. I was using my K10D with a DA*50-135 and my wife was using her K200D with a DA55-300. (There are a few from my Mother-in-law with her W90 point and shoot).

P.S. You'll need to pay attention and learn the rythum of the whale's swimming motion to catch what you want. If you wait to see the tail in the view finder, you'll get a beautiful photo of swirls in the water.