Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[SOLVED] Lens stuck to TC

I managed to get my Vivitar 90/2.5 (Bokina) stuck to a TC. This is not a Ricoh pin issue; the lens is plain K-mount, and while the TC did start life as KR, I had already removed the Ricoh pin. I think I somehow managed to get the TC's aperture coupling lever on the wrong side of the lens's coupling lever. Having removed the bottom (camera-facing) mounting plate from the TC I can get no further -- can't figure out how to disengage, remove, or otherwise free the lever. Any suggestions before I take this to the shop?

Last edited by baro-nite; 03-21-2012 at 11:08 AM. Reason: problem solved
03-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think the dreaded "Ricoh pin" affects only AF lenses. The lens in this case is not AF, so it is not the Ricoh pịn

When you push the lens release button on the TC and try to turn the lens, does the lens turn at all?

If the lens does not turn, a possible cause is that the lens release pin does not retract all the way. Turn the lens counterclockwise (as when you attach the lens to the TC), then back up just a bit so that it does not jam the pin on the TC. Try pushing the lens release button all the way in and turn the lens.

I had the same problem with my "new" Pentax bellows kit last week. It took some "persuasion" before the lens was set free.
03-14-2012, 02:22 AM   #3

It's the other way around. The "Ricoh Pin" only affects AF Bodies. So a lens with a ricoh-pin sticks to a body or TC with screw-AF capability.

Having used the bokina, I cannot think of a TC I wouldn't disassemble or break in order to keep it from damage.
03-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
When you push the lens release button on the TC and try to turn the lens, does the lens turn at all?
Yes, part way, until the aperture ring reaches minimum. This is why I think I have the TC's aperture coupling on the wrong side.

QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
Having used the bokina, I cannot think of a TC I wouldn't disassemble or break in order to keep it from damage.
Believe me, I agree, and would happily destroy the TC myself if I knew how to do so without damaging the lens.

(topace is correct; the Ricoh pin issue is when mounting a KR lens on an AF mount. I only brought it up to make it clear that this is not a Ricoh pin issue.)

03-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: turned out to be a much easier fix than I expected. It was the aperture coupling as I had thought, but it wasn't necessary to remove the lever. That's what the optical repair guy tried first, but he didn't have a tiny enough right angle screwdriver. He then simply pulled the lever down (away from the lens) enough to free it -- bingo.
03-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another update: having freed the Bokina from the TC, I then promptly got the thing stuck to its matched 1:1 adapter. Freed it up as above (had to partially disassemble the adapter to do this, and managed to scatter bearings in the process -- argh), and have now affixed a note to the rear lens cap that I need to stop this lens down before attaching it to a TC or its adapter, or presumably anything else with an aperture coupling, such as an uncrippled camera. This is the plain K-mount version of the lens (Vivitar Series I 90/2.5).
03-26-2012, 06:04 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Another update: having freed the Bokina from the TC, I then promptly got the thing stuck to its matched 1:1 adapter. Freed it up as above (had to partially disassemble the adapter to do this, and managed to scatter bearings in the process -- argh), and have now affixed a note to the rear lens cap that I need to stop this lens down before attaching it to a TC or its adapter, or presumably anything else with an aperture coupling, such as an uncrippled camera. This is the plain K-mount version of the lens (Vivitar Series I 90/2.5).
Just be glad you didn't have to disassemble the actual lens. A friend of mine tried that with the Tokina version, and it turned out to have been full of black magic mechanics. I think he eventually managed to make it permanent stop-down.

Now, I think I've actually seen the service manual for the vivitar version on e-bay, but it's still not a thing I would feel comfortable with doing.

03-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by topace Quote
Now, I think I've actually seen the service manual for the vivitar version on e-bay, but it's still not a thing I would feel comfortable with doing.
I never would have attempted it myself -- that would have been straight to the shop. I don't think it would have been very practical anyway, as I guess one would have to disassemble the lens from the front in this case. Fortunately I have survived to tell the tale!