Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #1

Image Stabilization, lens problem!?

Hi! When i try to take picture from hands through Liveview image is very good and stabilized but if i take it through glass i can't see any stabilizaton there? every single image is blured, have movement etc... Is it normal?? I mean is In body stabilization working only with LV? or is it problem with my lens or with... i don't know??

I have Pentax k-5 and just got Pentax F 100-300 AF 4.5-5.6.

Thanks a lot!

Here is the Picture of both shots so you don't have to check links below

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69090258/stabtog.jpg

Last edited by Zandroido; 09-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.
09-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #2

Original Poster
I jsut took 2 pictures to show you how awful that difference is. I tested it for like 50 times and all pictures are the same. The first one is taken with LIVEVIEW and stabilization is working and second one through glass id stabilization is obviously not working.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69090258/stab1.jpg

vs

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/69090258/stab2.jpg
09-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Image stabilization is in the sensor, so you won't see it working through the lens(since the lens is not IS). The second picture doesn't look blurred it just seems like the phase detection points picked a different spot to focus, as opposed to dead center, that the contrast detection picked. If you want to see IS working in the viewfinder, you would need a Sigma OS lens, but I've found the camera stabilization has worked better in my uses.
09-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

To me it looks as if #2 is out of focus. Try to focus using the center point only, then recompose while keeping the shutter button half-pressed.

Also make sure that you don't trip the shutter until the image has stabilized (the hand symbol must light up in the viewfinder before you take the shot).

09-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm not seeing any motion blur in these; both are stabilized. In the VF shot, the camera focused on the white thing on the left, while in the LV shot, the camera focused on the brown handle.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yeah looks like youre roght. Dod some research and its all ok now. It really was out of focus. I was focusing rope now and it was the same all the time and this stabilization iz worki g very good. Thanks all
09-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just remember, live view has the advantage of focusing on the stabalized image. The AF through the viewfinder does not, so your shake moves the focus point around this can lead to focus errors if you are not steady

09-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
yeah. But i'm interested in one thing. If i'm trying to take some photo in move, like seagull or something. Is it better for me to FOLLOW seagull with my camera and click or to have it a place waiting for seagull to enter my view and take shot?? What will take better image?
09-19-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

To get a clear shot, you will need a fast shutter speed. Keep it at least 1/1000. I would recommend AF.C for a bird on the move (if you're not manually focusing) and following the movement as you shoot. If you want a "panning" shot, that's going to take some practice, slower shutter, and turning off SR.

Fast shutter:

Slower shutter:
09-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
To get a clear shot, you will need a fast shutter speed. Keep it at least 1/1000. I would recommend AF.C for a bird on the move (if you're not manually focusing) and following the movement as you shoot. If you want a "panning" shot, that's going to take some practice, slower shutter, and turning off SR.

Fast shutter:

Slower shutter:
A haa here is my set with following AF.C shots and in next few days i'll be trying panning. Seagull - Galeb - a set on Flickr

But what is producing better images in general?
09-20-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zandroido Quote
A haa here is my set with following AF.C shots and in next few days i'll be trying panning. Seagull - Galeb - a set on Flickr

But what is producing better images in general?
The best images are those you like the most
09-20-2012, 04:00 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
The best images are those you like the most
A yeah but i was thinking on quality of the images
09-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zandroido Quote
A yeah but i was thinking on quality of the images
so was I.

You have some stellar photos there, looks to me like you're doing it right.
09-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
so was I.

Thanks!
But why i'm asking is when i'm taking shots there is a lot of images to throw away cause their IQ is so bad. But i guess it has to be that way and that's why i'll try panning just to see how it works. Or maybe to get the monopod hmm.. not sure.
09-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Just what I was thinking. You're examples just blew mine away.
If you want more "keepers", then I would suggest a faster lens; noticed you were using an F 100-300. It would be a nice price jump for a 70-200 f2.8, but if you're looking for a softer background, it will more effective than trying to pan on each shot.