Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Picture 11 of 138 from Group Astrophotography
My first Milky Way shot and my 3rd attempt at editing it. This is the Frank Schott old stone barn near Chokio, MN.<br />
143x13s<br />
ISO 3200<br />
f/2.8<br />
K-3ii<br />
Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero D<br />
Stacked in Sequator.
My first Milky Way shot and my 3rd attempt at editing it. This is the Frank Schott old stone barn near Chokio, MN.
143x13s
ISO 3200
f/2.8
K-3ii
Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero D
Stacked in Sequator.
Picture Added: 07-30-2020 06:29 PM
Picture By: MossyRocks

Showing Picture Comments 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Astropaps
    Your first shot? Wow! Looks like you nailed the Milky Way aspect. Maybe a little illumination on the barn would work? Just a different shot from the silhouette. I’ll have to learn stacking.

Amy
  2. MossyRocks
    @Astropaps "Maybe a little illumination on the barn would work?"

That was the plan and I had intended to bring my old manual flashes, but like a dummy forgot them. I only had my giant 2 million candle power spot light. I gave that a try on one shot and even a quick blast blew out the highlights because I was too close.
  3. stillshot2
    Do you use an astrotracer?
  4. MossyRocks
    @stillshot2
    For this shot no I didn't. Astrotracer makes a hot mess of things when using an ultrawide lens as the field of view in the frame is so large that the movements that astrotracer can do lead to edges and corners showing more movement. I regularly use it for longer lengths even up to 560mm. At 12mm you can get lots of untracked time that doesn't show movement. Granted this was my second time using that lens so I didn't really have it figured out yet. Now going forward I run it at ISO3200, f/2.8 and 20s which gives even better results. Running things off of an equatorial because you have proper movement even with a huge field of view you don't have star movement artifacts and you don't even need a great polar alignment because the lens is so wide.
  5. stillshot2
    Ok. Thanks for the reply!
  6. jcshellyg
    Wow! This is really great!