Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
About our Marketplace: Gaining Access

New Marketplace Access Requirements

The Photographer's Marketplace is a very widely-used section here at PentaxForums.com; we've been offering it since the launch of the site. It allows forum members to buy and sell their used photo equipment at great convenience and with traffic from tens of thousands of users.

Changes have recently been made to user access requirements to the Photographer's Marketplace. Starting on May 16th, 2009, only Site Supporters, Pentaxians, and Marketplace Resellers will be able to post new items for sale in the Marketplace.

In order to be able to post threads (sell items) in the Marketplace, you must meet one of the below conditions:
1. Donated at least $10 to PentaxForums.com (Donate here)
OR
2. Be a "Pentaxian" (veteran forum member, see link for details)
OR
3. Have an active commercial selling (reseller) subscription

Please note that all forum users are still able to browse items in the Marketplace, post in the 'Wanted Items' section, buy from others, and leave feedback, regardless of donation status. Access to these sections and features remains unchanged.

Commercial Sellers

We now allow those interested to resell items, sell items in bulk, and sell items commercially (solely for profit), provided that they pay an additional access fee. All items must still be photo-related; photographic services may be listed with prior approval. The reseller access can be purchased via PayPal or credit card using the User CP payments page (PentaxForums.com). It costs $15/month and discounts are available for long-term access. If you are a reseller, you must maintain this access for the full duration of your Marketplace threads. Members with 15 or more sales per year with limited involvement in other parts of the forum considered Marketplace Resellers and must acquire the access.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Marketplace documentation has been updated to reflect these changes. All donations are processed automatically, and you will be given instant access once you complete your transaction via PayPal. Donations can be made via PayPal (see the User CP for automated donation options), or using a credit card through 2Checkout or PayPal. Alternatively, we can make arrangements for paper checks or money orders for non-Paypal users. All Site Supporters and Pentaxians will have access to the Marketplace for personal use.

If your Marketplace access expires, your active threads will automatically be withdrawn. Renewal of access will allow you to reinstate your listings.

By limiting seller access to supporting members and forum veterans, we aim to reduce the risk of fraudulent activity and Marketplace abuse. Your contributions will also be used toward site maintenance and development costs to ensure a smooth browsing experience.

If you have any questions about these new changes, please feel free to post in this thread. Thank you!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was thinking of buying a bumper sticker. Does that count as a donation? Also, do donations provide lifetime access, or just 1 month?
05-16-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Bumper stickers don't count as donations at the moment, because they're not processed through our forum donation system. However, I might decide to change that later down the road.

Each donation gives you unlimited access to the Marketplace for a whole year.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, I can certainly understand it, but I don't like it.

05-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The reasons for these changes are twofold. Firstly, abuse of the Marketplace will be reduced, and fraudulent users will no longer be able to post threads...
And unfortunatly punishing those who are honest and dont fit in with the Pentaxian profile.

Personally I dont like seeing forums try and make money from the members who make a forum what it is. Alot of the knowledge and information that is provided on this forum (and forums like it) is free.

For those of us, like me, who dont spend there lives here, making the 1000 posts or 200+2yrs will take along time to happen and I am not about to make a forced donation for something I have used twice since being a member. I provide my knowledge to this community for free, I would have though that this would be far more valuable than trying to make $10.

Why not make it 50 or 100 posts and make it that your post count does not increase in the For Sale section. This way, people have to participate in other sections of the forums before they can post in the market place...

Moose
05-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I may be in the minority, but I think this is a great idea.

At the cost of 'penalising' the honest newbies or infrequent posters, it will more than likely add an element of reassurance to the buyer.

And really, it's no big deal to donate $10 or more to a forum that offers probably the biggest marketplace of Pentax gear the world over.

Good stuff Adam.
05-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
At the cost of 'penalising' the honest newbies or infrequent posters, it will more than likely add an element of reassurance to the buyer.
isnt that what the seller feedback tool is for?

05-16-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One would have to have already sold a few items, AND buyers would have had to provide feedback for that person for this to be useful.
05-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The reasons for these changes are twofold. Firstly, abuse of the Marketplace will be reduced, and fraudulent users will no longer be able to post threads.
I don't know how will it help against fraudulent users. Would I be one, I would be happy to pay $10 for the right to post to the marketplace and then to sell non-existing FA 31mm limited for $600...

If you would restrict marketplace to Pentaxians, then yes, it would help to avoid fraudulent sellers. However now any fraudulent seller can buy the right to sell for $10.

And what about those poor forum members who are not Pentaxians, however have few positive feedbacks as a sellers?

Last edited by Edvinas; 05-16-2009 at 10:47 PM.
05-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There can be no guarantee in any measure that is made to prevent frauds from participating.

Nevertheless, it will still be a disincentive for a fraud to have to set up a PayPal account , put $10 in it, donate and then post their single fraudulent sale on the marketplace.
05-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

There can be no guarantee in any measure that is made to prevent frauds from participating.
So, if it doesn't help, why to bother with all kinds of restrictions at all?

Nevertheless, it will still be a disincentive for a fraud to have to set up a PayPal account , put $10 in it, donate and then post their single fraudulent sale on the marketplace.
Currently it is just the same. If user's the only message is in the marketplace, it is suspicious. It's up for buyer to decide.

Thing is that possibility to buy the right to sell in Marketplace does not help to decrease risk for buyers at all.
05-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Moose Quote
And unfortunatly punishing those who are honest and dont fit in with the Pentaxian profile.

Personally I dont like seeing forums try and make money from the members who make a forum what it is. Alot of the knowledge and information that is provided on this forum (and forums like it) is free.

For those of us, like me, who dont spend there lives here, making the 1000 posts or 200+2yrs will take along time to happen and I am not about to make a forced donation for something I have used twice since being a member. I provide my knowledge to this community for free, I would have though that this would be far more valuable than trying to make $10.

Why not make it 50 or 100 posts and make it that your post count does not increase in the For Sale section. This way, people have to participate in other sections of the forums before they can post in the market place...

Moose
It's cheaper to donate $10 to the forum than to pay Ebay fees and this forum costs money to keep it running. Don't forget there is no advertising on here.
Yes, the members make the forum what it is but the forum has to be there in the first place.
Your dissent is noted but it's not going to change anything I'm afraid.
05-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Your dissent is noted but it's not going to change anything I'm afraid.
Not a worry at all. I work on the pretext that if I dont like something, I have a say and then get over it.

I didnt want to be one of those people who piss winge in the forums and not actually say anything

Onwards and upwards.

John
05-17-2009, 01:22 AM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Moose Quote
Not a worry at all. I work on the pretext that if I dont like something, I have a say and then get over it.

I didnt want to be one of those people who piss winge in the forums and not actually say anything

Onwards and upwards.

John

Good attitude mate.
05-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #15

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Don't forget there is no advertising on here.
Just add advertising then.

It's easy for those that are bothered by it to download AdBlock Plus plugin for Firefox and Voila, they are gone. That way you make money from those who don't care about the adds and those that do care just block them anyway.
Closed Thread