Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New BBCode Feature- YouTube embedding

Embedding Youtube Videos

Simply paste a youtube or vimeo url into your post, and the linked video will automatically be embedded unless you uncheck the corresponding option in the advanced posting interface!

I'm happy to announce that I've now added BBCode tags that will allow you to embed youtube videos directly into your posts. Simply wrap the youtube URLs with [yt] tags!

Demo:
(Code: [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCHdsZI88g[/yt])

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCHdsZI88g[/yt]

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adam, the youtube BBCode is great.

Because most of us are posting in vimeo (because of the better quality) it would be great and even more useful to add vimeo BBCode too. Would it be difficult to add?

The code looks like this:
HTML Code:
<object width="400" height="300">
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" />
<param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" />
<param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5711361&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" />
<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5711361&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300">
</embed>
</object>
<p><a href="http://vimeo.com/5711361">K7Grillen (K-7 Barbecue)</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1835129">falconeye</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
The parameter is just an ID (5711361).
09-07-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Nope, you're stuck with youtube

Just kidding! Adding a tag for vimeo should be doable; I'll have a look at it tomorrow or later in the week.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adding a tag for vimeo should be doable; I'll have a look at it tomorrow or later in the week.
That'll be great, Adam! There's some nice K-7 footage on Vimeo.
Thanks to Falk for providing the code.

09-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=5711361[/vimeo]

Just wrap the URL with vimeo tags!

Adam

09-09-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Adam,

this is a great service! Thank You very much.
09-29-2009, 05:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Adam made an eror when implementing this feature.

When adding a vimeo video, you must type the exact following markup into the post:
HTML Code:
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=???????[/vimeo]
where you replace ??????? by the actual clip id as it appears inside the vimeo URL. Wrapping the entire vimeo url won't work.

As there now is a closed sticky thread within the video forum linking here (and the wrong description), the sticky thread within the video forum should be fixed as well and kept synchronozed with possible changes to the vimeo tag.

09-29-2009, 05:48 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Do regular vimeo URLs contain the parameter that identifies the flash video? If not, then the way it's set up right now is the only way it can be done.

Adam

10-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Because most of us are posting in vimeo (because of the better quality)
better quality on vimeo? where in the world did you hear that??

youtube is h.264, the last time i looked at vimeo it was still flash-only... fyi, flash is good, but h.264 is better.

isn't vimeo still 24fps only? while the k-7 is 30fps only? hacking up the framerate is not good for picture quality... the 30fps youtube framerate matches the 30fps k-7 framerate, so youtube is a clear winner for that reason alone.

this vimeo vs. youtube argument used to come up regularly, so i ran my own test comparison a while back... i uploaded the exact same video clip to both, then downloaded the encoded files and pulled out the same frame from each of 'em... this was the free vimeo encoding job, i think that if you pay for vimeo you'll get two-pass encoding, but it's not going to be enough to make up for the huge quality difference that you can see here... youtube blows vimeo away:

10-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Do regular vimeo URLs contain the parameter that identifies the flash video?
Regular vimeo URLs do contain the video ID but another URL must be constructed from it to be embedded.
The regular vimeo URL looks like this:
HTML Code:
http://www.vimeo.com/???????
and this is the URL for embedding:
HTML Code:
http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=???????
where ??????? is the numeric id.

BTW, vimeo does have the better video quality. Mostly, because it supports the download of the original, non recoded nor resampled footage (within the first week after upload).

But also because HD on youtube is 480p most of the time (rather than 720p) and download is even (officially) supported. But any hints how to get 720p H.264 out of youtube will be welcomed.

For the sake of this forum where new content is uploaded and footage is discussed for its technical merits within the week after upload, vimeo is a much better fit.
10-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
BTW, vimeo does have the better video quality. Mostly, because it supports the download of the original, non recoded nor resampled footage (within the first week after upload).
if downloading the source file was all that mattered, there are any number of free file hosting sites that you could put it on, and it wouldn't get removed after a week, like vimeo does.

you are confusing file hosting with video hosting.

QuoteQuote:
But also because HD on youtube is 480p most of the time (rather than 720p) and download is even (officially) supported. But any hints how to get 720p H.264 out of youtube will be welcomed.
i don't think that i've ever seen 720p hd on youtube revert to 480p here in the states... if you embed the 720p hd version, that's what you'll get on playback.

if you upload 480p though, i'd guess that it won't be uprezzed to 720p? you should always match the intended frame size on your upload, use 1280x720 for 720p, don't upload 1920x1080 to youtube, for instance... the frame resizing algorithms are not very good on those sites.
10-17-2009, 03:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
you are confusing file hosting with video hosting.
[...]
i don't think that i've ever seen 720p hd on youtube revert to 480p here in the states... if you embed the 720p hd version, that's what you'll get on playback.
I am not confusing file hosting with video hosting. I am talking about overall value and ability to download the original adds to this value.

But I concede that youtube now is slightly better wrt recoding quality (my original comment is two months old now).

In their current issue, German magazine c't ran a test of various video hosting sites and youtube came out slightly in front of vimeo. Youtube seem to be doing 2.0 Mbps vs. 1.8 Mbps on vimeo. Both H.264 though. Moreover, only vimeo Pro accounts are found to have the same two pass encoding quality and then the difference is vanishing almost.
10-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
osv
Veteran Member

i don't see any added value in a file that is only available for a week... the internet is a 24/7/365 operation.

the tests that i ran and posted here were done months ago, which means that youtube has ALWAYS had better quality than vimeo... if anything, the quality differences may or may not be decreasing slightly, since vimeo started using h.264 instead of vp6.

falk, you need to face the facts... youtube is the 800lb. gorilla in the room, nobody can afford to compete with that.

talking about paying for encoding and hosting services brings the discussion to a whole 'nother level, because then it's not just about vimeo... the comparisons would have to include photobucket and others as well.
11-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
osv
Veteran Member

just an update to this thread, for those of you looking for the best picture quality on the 'net.

at this point in time, the new youtube upgrade won't help the pentax community very much, because of the current rather cheesy video implementation that the k-7 has, but it will make a difference for future generations of our dslrs:

"We're excited to say that support for watching 1080p HD videos in full resolution is on its way. Starting next week, YouTube's HD mode will add support for viewing videos in 720p or 1080p, depending on the resolution of the original source, up from our maximum output of 720p today.

As resolution of consumer cameras increases, we want to make sure YouTube is the best home on the web to showcase your content. For viewers with big monitors and a fast computer, try switching to 1080p to get the most out of the fullscreen experience.

Just how much larger is 1080p? Take a look at the following screenshots from this video:"
YouTube Blog
11-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

For Vimeo, at a vb forum I admin I did it like this:

<embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id={param}&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;show_title=0&amp;show_byline=0&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=00ADEF&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="220"></embed>

Wrap the vimeo tags with the vimeo video ID only

example: 7622493

PS: I see your youtubes allow full screen.
For some reason, the full screen button doesn't even appear on our forum using the embed code I think you are using too.