Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upcoming Events: World Pentax Day and Pentax SyncSnap!

If you have not yet uploaded your photos for either of our recent events, here are some conveninent links:

[Upload photo for World Pentax Day] (Gallery open for submissions until 10/24, max. 3 photos up to 1.5Mb each)

[Upload photo for SyncSnap] (Gallery open for submissions until 10/31, max. 1 photo* up to 1.5Mb)

*If you managed to snap 2 cameras at exactly the same time, please contact me to be able to upload multiple photos.

Note that it is now too late to shoot new photos for the events.

------------------------------------------

Pentax World SyncSnap – October 17th, 2009 - Event #1

This event will be held on Saturday, October 17th, 2009 at exactly* 12:00:01am midnight GMT.

What is the World SyncSnap? The World SyncSnap is a chance for Pentax users around the world to snap their shutters in unison, capturing our images all at the same time. Think of it as the Pentaxium’s little brother. Where the Pentaxium lasts one entire day, the SyncSnap begins and ends within the blink of an eye…or, more appropriately, the opening and closing of a shutter.

How does it work? You’re given the date and time of the SyncSnap for the Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) time zone. All you need to do is adjust the date and time for your time zone, grab your Pentax camera, and snap your shutter at exactly the right moment, along with the rest of us.

GMT is not adjusted for daylight savings. Use this site to figure out what time it will be in your area with respect to GMT: GMT: Greenwich Mean Time - World Time / Time in every Time Zone

Where do I post my photograph? There is a dedicated event category in our gallery at this URL: User Photo Gallery - Pentax World SyncSnap. When uploading your photo, title it with the following information: Event number, your username, and the location where the image was captured.

Example: If you captured the image in Philadelphia, PA, USA:
Photo title for October photo: SyncSnap1, DanLoc78, Philadelphia, PA, USA

Make sure you also specify what lens and camera was used in the fields provided. The camera must be a Pentax! *Try your best to capture your photo at the exact time specified. A few seconds off here or there doesn’t really matter.

SyncSnap Time Key, adjusted for DST in the US
Sydney 11:00am Saturday 17th Oct
Brisbane 10:00am Saturday 17th Oct
Central Europe 1.00am Saturday 17th Oct
London 12.00midnight Saturday 17th Oct
New York 8.00pm Friday 16th Oct
Los Angeles 5.00pm Friday 16th Oct

Pentax World Day #7 – October 10th, 2009 - Event #7

We want your photographs from before dawn to after dusk, in your time zone, on the next Pentax World Day: October 10th, 2009. Submit photos to our gallery to show your Pentax spirit and to share something special from your part of the world! The only restrictions are as follows:

1. Although you may submit entries at any time, the photo must be taken on Pentax Day (October 10th, 2009), between midnight and midnight in your time zone. Please leave all EXIF information intact. You may submit up to three photos.

2. The photo must be taken with a Pentax camera (DSLR, Film, or compact)

3. The photo's largest dimension should be between 800 and 900 pixels.

4. The photo should be submitted to the PentaxForums.com User Photo Gallery. You can access the gallery directly by clicking: User Photo Gallery - October 10, 2009. Click the "Upload" link located in the navbar to add your photo. You must be logged in. You will be able to upload between 10/10/2009 and 10/24/2009. After this period, only viewing will be allowed for the event gallery.

Help us chronicle this day in the the life of Pentaxians from all corners of the world. Astound us with your film-like imaging, your freedom from camera shake, and your sharp, contrasty lenses!

If you experience any trouble uploading photos, please make sure you've selected the correct gallery category first, then contact us as soon as possible to obtain assistance.

Help us make this day a Pentax Day! I will send this message as an e-mail notification to interested forum members as we near the commencement of the event.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Last edited by Adam; 10-17-2009 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Updated information
09-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can I suggest for the SyncSnap that we all use the same shutter speed, say 1/125? I love the idea that this moment has taken 13.6 billion years to create since the Big Bang and click! in 1/125th of a second all that unimaginable energy and build-up is gone and the echo, the trace of it is inside all of our cameras. It gives me goose bumps just thinking of it.
09-25-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Not a bad idea, but I think it wouldn't be too great for people taking shots at night...so let's hold off for now.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-25-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My cameras don't have EXIF data, Adam. Are they still acceptable?

09-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I thought that all digital cameras record EXIF, but even if not, it's fine, as long as it's a Pentax.

Adam

09-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Trying to figure out when I'm supposed to SyncSnap is going to make my head hurt. To start with, is that the midnight between Friday & Saturday or between Saturday & Sunday?
09-25-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Friday to Saturday.

Adam

09-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't have a digital yet, Adam, I'm still shooting film.
09-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Oh, well then there's the obvious answer! tongue

Adam

09-25-2009, 05:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I don't have a digital yet, Adam, I'm still shooting film.
Come on Adam, I knew that was coming!
09-25-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

LOL Well, of course I knew why mine didn't have EXIF but when you mentioned to save that info, I wasn't sure I was going to eligible. I thought it was going to be a contest for digital Pentax users.
09-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Can I suggest for the SyncSnap that we all use the same shutter speed, say 1/125? I love the idea that this moment has taken 13.6 billion years to create since the Big Bang and click! in 1/125th of a second all that unimaginable energy and build-up is gone and the echo, the trace of it is inside all of our cameras. It gives me goose bumps just thinking of it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Not a bad idea, but I think it wouldn't be too great for people taking shots at night...so let's hold off for now.
I agree with Adam. In NC, if I did the conversion right, it will be 7:00 PM. and it will definitely be dark outside. I'm thinking of doing my shot looking down the main street of my town, or having something which shows the location (town sign, exit sign from highway, etc), but it will require > 1/125.
09-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
no need for proselytizing
09-26-2009, 01:04 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I get the SyncSnap thing, but was curious as to how often World Pentax Day comes along. I could swear that World Pentax Day happened back on April 4. Is this a twice yearly event?

Steve
09-26-2009, 01:08 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Friday to Saturday.
Um. I think I might be having a senior's moment. October 17 is a Saturday. So midnight on Saturday should be the transition between Saturday and Sunday. That would make it 7:00 pm Saturday in New York, NY, USA (ignoring daylight savings) and 10:00 am Sunday in Melbourne, VIC, Oz (again, ignoring daylight savings).

I think. Or have I got it totally wrong?

Richard.
Closed Thread