Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Pixie Dust Lens Club

I would like to start a new lens club titled "The Pixie Dust Lens club", if you fellow forum menbers think its a good idea. The purpose of the club is to provide pictorial evidence that a lens has some unique properties, that make it legendary in image rendering qualities, not usually found in the average lens. As such I have thought of some simple rules:

1. The photo should clearly show that its the unique rendering of the lens that made the photo, not composition, lighting, special effects etc.
2. The scene should be commonplace, ie. not an exotic location, landmark, attraction, or special event.
3. The photo must have been taken by the poster.
4. No post processing is allowed.
5. The poster must explain why they think its the lens that made the photo.
6. The make and model of the lens must be listed along with the body. Any lens, any body.

Hope you can all join the club with your magical lenses and fill it with beautiful photos.

05-26-2011, 02:50 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

LoL...LMAO...

Enough said
05-26-2011, 04:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
LoL...LMAO...

Enough said
As if the three lenses on your profile picture weren't typical pixie dust example...
05-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Dang! even bank loan applications aren't that long

Besides, the club already exist...check the FA limited club and the leica club and you should be able to find many images sprinkled with pixie dust, more than most other clubs.

05-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I once had a teacher who told us "Sarcasm is the last convulsion of a decaying brain"
05-26-2011, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I'm being serious. The rules may appear long winded but all I'm asking for is a test shot. Go back to that time when you just got that new lens, and you took some shots to see if it was worth all that cash, and then the lens spoke your name.

For me, its my F*300/4.5, and it was my first good lens and it always will be my best. Has been with me for nearly five years now, and it always delivers. I remember when it called my name, and here is the shot:
Attached Images

05-26-2011, 05:59 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
As if the three lenses on your profile picture weren't typical pixie dust example...
there are 4 lenses in my sig

besides, I don't buy lenses based on some dust rumor, I buy lenses that suit my needs. And I don't believe in pixie dust anyway, I believe certain lenses render certain way and certain photographers are gifted enough to take advantage of it. But that's it....

05-26-2011, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not quite sure what happened in this shot, but the end result was all the more chilling. Same lens. There's an example of a lens doing something unexpected....its not a crop BTW
Attached Images

05-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure about this, selar.
condition #4 is oxymoronic and #1 and 2 will not assist in highlighting the unique characteristics of particular lenses.
Given the absence of any clear definition of pixie dust or any such dusted lenses, this will be a difficult thread to patronise.
05-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
No, I'm being serious. The rules may appear long winded but all I'm asking for is a test shot. Go back to that time when you just got that new lens, and you took some shots to see if it was worth all that cash, and then the lens spoke your name.

For me, its my F*300/4.5, and it was my first good lens and it always will be my best. Has been with me for nearly five years now, and it always delivers. I remember when it called my name, and here is the shot:
I dig that image - reminds me of fireworks!
05-27-2011, 03:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
there are 4 lenses in my sig

besides, I don't buy lenses based on some dust rumor, I buy lenses that suit my needs. And I don't believe in pixie dust anyway, I believe certain lenses render certain way and certain photographers are gifted enough to take advantage of it. But that's it....
I missed the FA31. Great collection!

I'm not quite sure what happened in this shot, but the end result was all the more chilling. Same lens. There's an example of a lens doing something unexpected....its not a crop BTW
Ugh, that's an ugly picture. Use Fa*85 for crocodiles, much better.
05-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose pixie dust doesn't refer to some ineffable quality that can be evident in a single pic. But looking at the pics in PPG, I think I can say that FA 31mm has it. To be frank, I wouldn't say the same about the famed FA 43mm--pictures taken with this one do look "photographic," and there is something in them that looks like film, but I fail to see the pixie dust. Perhaps it can be noticed in full-size images.
05-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Ugh, that's an ugly picture. Use Fa*85 for crocodiles, much better.
I will freely admit that I am too chicken to attempt that shot with a 85mm lens.
05-27-2011, 04:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I dig that image - reminds me of fireworks!
Thanks Steve. I am sure you will post much better examples.
05-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve. I am sure you will post much better examples.
LOL - Thanks, but I can't! I don't have any pixie dusted lenses!

Besides, that's a great shot; can't post a better one, just a *different* one.