Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2010, 05:18 AM   #676

Photos: Albums
panagor zoom

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi! I wanted a bit more open zoom, don't care about AF, so I found this on ebay, and made a review.... I think I like it!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=727

09-01-2010, 07:13 AM   #677
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy the lens. I think too much importance is often placed on "sharpness". I know there are many around the forum who just enjoy somehow feeling a certain amount of satisfaction with using lenses of less than favorable sharpness and reputation.
"WWJXD?"
09-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #678

Thanks, I'll do my best

Yes, sharpness has its disadvantages, only a small minority of people are happy with their wrinkles showing in all detail on a photo (most of them are definitely not female... )

I'm considering a brand new semi-all-round lens between 50mm and 135mm and pondering between the

Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 f2.8 Di Macro AF for Pentax vs

Samyang 85mm f/1.4 IF MC Aspherical lens for PENTAX

I've heard that the Tamron is way too sharp for portraits, and though the macro is a cool feature and autofocus is convenient, my priority lies more at the ability to make indoor low-light shots, where autofocus doesn't work anyway...
09-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #679
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Promaster 28/2.8 K-mount

picked up in a shop in Iron Mountain,MI. 1989
was working in U.P. area and had only brought ME spr & A70-210/4, $80 then.
old bridge by house,few weeks ago,with K20D

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
09-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #680
Veteran Member

Practikar Pentacon 500mm f5.6

I recently was outbid on this lens on eBay. I did not know a lot about it but I liked the look. I have done some online(google) research and learned where it was made and have seen a few images and reviews. Most were positive about the MC, multi coated, version of the lens and that one did have the MC on it. I am wondering if anyone has used this on either a 6x7 format or 35 mm or digital body?? It went for more than I felt I could afford but apparently about half of others ending bids. I also am wondering how many of you may have had success using long medium format lenses with a digital body?
Thanks in advance, Alan.
09-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #681
Veteran Member

Physalis, or Ground Cherry - they are small tomato-ish, taste like a cross between a tomato and a gooseberry.

Lens: Bausch & Lomb Tessar 1c on Asahi bellows, K100D. The B-L Tessar dropped the name "Zeiss" during WW 1, so my lens dates to as early as WW1, or else to the very early 1920s.
09-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #682

Quantaray Auto Zoom 85-210mm f:3.8 macro.. Does anyone have any info on this lens, I have searched but can not find any usefull info on it. No it's not in the data base I figured i would ask in this thread as there are alot of off brand lenses. I will be using it with a k-x that will be here tommorow and i am infant when it comes to photography. I paid 9 bucks for it well 18 with shipping. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

09-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #683
Pentaxian

Anyone familiar with the Carl Zeiss Jena II 28mm f2.8 in P/KA mount? There was one on ebay a few days ago.
09-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #684
Forum Member

I didn't know there were CZJs in P/KA mount, but why not ? There's always something to learn...
09-06-2010, 03:36 PM   #685
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by olered Quote
Quantaray Auto Zoom 85-210mm f:3.8 macro.. Does anyone have any info on this lens, I have searched but can not find any usefull info on it. No it's not in the data base I figured i would ask in this thread as there are alot of off brand lenses. I will be using it with a k-x that will be here tommorow and i am infant when it comes to photography. I paid 9 bucks for it well 18 with shipping. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
Not familiar with the lens but Quantaray re-badged lenses so if you look through the database for those specs without the brand you may find the lens under another name.
The backwards aperture ring is interesting. I wonder how that will work?
Would be interested to see an image of the back end of the lens.

If it is what I suspect, you will need to use full manual exposure with this lens.

Last edited by Matthew; 09-06-2010 at 03:56 PM.
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #686
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

review

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
Hi! I wanted a bit more open zoom, don't care about AF, so I found this on ebay, and made a review.... I think I like it!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=727
Thanks for the review, however it would be nice to include colour images rather than monochrome. Is the colour performance of the lens one of it's weak points?
Also listing the lens weight and minimum focus distance in it's description would be nice.

I think the "auto" probably refers to the fact that it can leave the aperture open for focusing and the camera will stop it down to what you have set for taking the photo or when you press the green button.
09-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #687

Quantary 85-210mm, don't know if this helps you but this is the pic of the backside. I was told it should work in some of the other modes. Thanks for the help.

09-06-2010, 05:50 PM   #688
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Odd mount

Quantary 85-210mm, don't know if this helps you but this is the pic of the backside. I was told it should work in some of the other modes. Thanks for the help.
The aperture lever for this lens is in an odd position and I can't see a red dot anywhere. The photo is pretty poor though so maybe I'm missing something.
Do you have the lens in hand yet?
09-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #689

No i don't have the lens in hand yet. How can you tell if a lens will work in certain modes with my camera ?
09-06-2010, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #690
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manual

No i don't have the lens in hand yet. How can you tell if a lens will work in certain modes with my camera ?
Your manual may give details (e.g. appendix 5 in K10D manual).
In summary, if your lens has no aperture ring or an "A" position then it will let the camera meter and control the aperture automatically. Older lenses such as the M or "K" series from Pentax still let the aperture be set while you preview the scene at the largest aperture, but you will have to set the aperture with the aperture ring and the camera will not know what that aperture is. You can still get the camera to meter with your set aperture via the green button. This can set the shutter speed semi-automatically. I always use M and the green button for this type of lens but I believe there are other options using the Av setting. Most other settings become Av anyway.
Then there are lenses that have no camera control of the aperture. These include Screw mount lenses and most other lenses via adapters. These can be used by manually controlling the aperture but the lens won't spring open to the largest aperture for focusing and composing. To obtain the most accurate focus you can set the aperture wide open, then stop down to meter and shoot. Some screw mount lenses have an Auto switch which throws the aperture between wide open and whatever you have set it to so as you don't have to take your eyes off the subject.
Your new lens has an aperture ring that is sequenced in reverse to the normal Pentax direction and is controlled by a lever that is set in an odd position. Before you mount it to your camera, check it against a trusted Pentax lens and check that everything is roughly in the same positions. It could be that the lens is a modified version that was made for another mount. We won't know until you get a good look at it or post better photos.
Once you have established that you can mount the lens, put it on and try using the green button for metering. Some lenses don't work reliably with the green button, but you may be able to deal with this by using exposure compensation or just try and wing it with "M".
Good Luck.