Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2845 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #781
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Living in a dark sky region is nice sometimes.

06-07-2011, 05:53 AM   #782

Beach huts are just so . . .English, aren't they?
06-07-2011, 06:12 AM   #783
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Thanks Jez. The more I use it the more it impresses me, though I'm moving on from it to the DA 35 f/2.4 now since I have the DA 12-24 and Tamron 28-75...

That sounds like a nice setup, all the bases covered, with a nice lightweight prime in the middle. I am tempted by the DA 35. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. However, I tend to use wide angle an awful lot, so the 21 Ltd is what I am aiming for next.
06-07-2011, 06:15 AM   #784
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Jannie Quote
Beach huts are just so . . .English, aren't they?
Or Brighton Beach, Victoria, Australia - Stock Photos of Australia, Victoria, Melbourne, beach huts on Brighton Beach x16424832 - Search Stock Photography, Print Pictures, Images, and Photo Clip Art - x16424832.jpg
They are worth a fortune.

06-07-2011, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #785
Veteran Member

Here's a post I posted in the "Post Your Pictures" forum.

Shot with the Kx and 18-55mm Kit lens

I took a bike trip to the Colorado National Monument in Fruita, CO over the weekend. The monument is a sandstone mesa that has many interesting rock formations, canyons, and scrub. It is a great place to go exploring in with many miles of trails. Many trails are right on the edge of vertical cliffs with 1500+ ft. drops.

My photos aren't as good as they could have been on this trip. This is because of the huge amount of smoke from fires in Arizona heading north. Most of the pictures would have had deep blue sky if the smoke wasn't there. Oh well, I like them anyway

Here they are:

First night at camp

Tried my hand at a star trail. This is one ~10 minute exposure

Morning, waking up to smoke filled skies

Used my handy dandy remote for this one

There are countless lizards all over the mesa, many different species. Most are rather large. The Collared lizard (the bright one) was over 1 ft. long.

Hiking into a small slot canyon

Finally, a shot of me riding through the canyons on my bike. I had my camera strapped around my neck and took the pictures with my left hand.

06-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #786
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
Here's a post I posted in the "Post Your Pictures" forum.

Shot with the Kx and 18-55mm Kit lens

I took a bike trip to the Colorado National Monument in Fruita, CO over the weekend. The monument is a sandstone mesa that has many interesting rock formations, canyons, and scrub. It is a great place to go exploring in with many miles of trails. Many trails are right on the edge of vertical cliffs with 1500+ ft. drops.

My photos aren't as good as they could have been on this trip. This is because of the huge amount of smoke from fires in Arizona heading north. Most of the pictures would have had deep blue sky if the smoke wasn't there. Oh well, I like them anyway

Here they are:

First night at camp

Tried my hand at a star trail. This is one ~10 minute exposure

Morning, waking up to smoke filled skies

Used my handy dandy remote for this one

There are countless lizards all over the mesa, many different species. Most are rather large. The Collared lizard (the bright one) was over 1 ft. long.

Hiking into a small slot canyon

Finally, a shot of me riding through the canyons on my bike. I had my camera strapped around my neck and took the pictures with my left hand.

Awesome! Shows how good the kit lens can be but a lot had to do with your composition.
06-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #787
Veteran Member

The beach huts in the pictures are in Whitstable, and they are notoriously expensive. My friend bought hers for about £100 10 years ago. She could sell it now for between 10 and 20 thousand. I'm very lucky she is so generous with hers, great way to get away from the hurly burly and take some pictures! They were seen as the ultimate in uncool when she bought it, now the opposite. That kind of sums up what has happened to Whitstable - previously a depressed fishing town, now full of DFLs (down from Londoners) and modest 3 bedroom houses going for half a million...

06-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #788
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ColoradoCJ - nice set of kit lens shots - looks like a great trip! Yes, it's been a bad year for fires, we've had our share down here in TX, too. But, enjoyed your photos - well done
06-08-2011, 12:16 AM   #789

QuoteOriginally posted by jeztastic Quote
Whitstable - previously a depressed fishing town, now full of DFLs (down from Londoners) and modest 3 bedroom houses going for half a million...
I could make some crass comment about Londoners, money and sense but I'm too polite.

CJ's Colorado shots are super. In a lot of them there's a lovely three-dimensional quality which really adds to the impact of those glorious landscapes.
06-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We took some relatives over to the Gaylord Texan Resort here in Grapevine Friday night. It's a huge hotel/resort complex with everything under a climate-controlled dome that stays at 73F year round. The 5th floor balcony railing served as my 'tripod'. The glare in the one shot is a small Jumbotron announcement screen. Here's a few kit lens shots using a K100D:

06-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #791
Veteran Member

Great photos, all!
The Colorado shots are amazing!

I was driving to work yesterday and liked how the early morning light was hitting this broken down barn so I pulled over and got this one with the 18-55 at 55mm.

06-08-2011, 10:44 PM - 2 Likes   #792
Veteran Member

We had weather tonight. Shot from a bean bag and pointing out the passenger window while parked on the side of the road.

06-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #793
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
We had weather tonight. Shot from a bean bag and pointing out the passenger window while parked on the side of the road.

WOW! That is something else. Were you using a lightning detector, or just shooting manual?

Very different looking colors in the sky, must have been the sun shining through the clouds on the left?
06-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #794
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
WOW! That is something else. Were you using a lightning detector, or just shooting manual?

Very different looking colors in the sky, must have been the sun shining through the clouds on the left?
Shooting manual, and no sun - it was 1:30 in the morning. I think there may of been more light pollution to the left (its looking pretty much directly up coastal US 1) where straight on past those hills you hit the open waters of Penobscot Bay past the town of Belfast.
06-10-2011, 05:59 AM   #795
Inactive Account

Kit Lens 18-55 @ f5.6

Henry Lee Bobby, my new best Photo subject, will hold pose for treat!