Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 91898 Likes Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #5881
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
It's not a "photographic" phenomenon as such and not a color in the feathers themself. It's simply the color of the sky reflected by the surface of the feathers. Much the same reason that the ocean or a pond seems blue -- as in the second image.

H2
Agreed. It is why the best field guides use artists renderings and not photos, because the colors change depending on reflections etc. of course the problem with renderings is that you need to hold a bird in the hand to see what the artist paints, and that involves a different kind of shooting.

01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #5882
Veteran Member

Well today was one of the best birding days ever, for me!!! Probably won't be able to post anything until tomorrow but I just couldn't keep quiet about it!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
I have been told I am lucky living close enough to some of these places where I photograph birds. A couple of people have told me about blue tones in photos of birds that don't exist visually. It happened to this first photo of a Neotropic Cormorant in flight. I don't know what kind of photographic phenomenon that causes it.
The second one is IMPRESSIVE! But oh man imagine that heartburn!!!
01-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #5883
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Well today was one of the best birding days ever, for me!!! Probably won't be able to post anything until tomorrow but I just couldn't keep quiet about it!!!
Well good for you! I know you've been frustrated lately getting "skunked" a bunch of times being out - looking forward to seeing your results!
01-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #5884
Veteran Member

It's not a "photographic" phenomenon as such and not a color in the feathers themself. It's simply the color of the sky reflected by the surface of the feathers. Much the same reason that the ocean or a pond seems blue -- as in the second image.

H2
That makes sense. Thanks everyone!

01-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #5885
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great day for Eagles, one for now..
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #5886
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

travis beautiful...how many eagles you got up there
01-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #5887
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
travis beautiful...how many eagles you got up there
Thanx, not as many as you guys probably think I go to six different spots in a day where I know there might be eagles and I will be very lucky to see a couple..

01-10-2013, 03:32 PM   #5888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A visit to Greyser's playground

I had a business meeting on the other side of the city past where Greyser lives and since I was going out there I asked him for directions to one of the areas he likes to shoot pictures at.
I was not prepared for the diversity of species concentrated in this one little wildlife reserve smack dab in the middle of Los Angeles.
Not knowing what to expect I brought my Bigma and K-5 with a monopod, now I'm itching to go back and bring the Q and adapter with me.
This is a small sampling of what I was able to get pictures of by just walking around the pond for about an hour, there is so much more there that it almost felt like I was in a zoo's aviary.
If you are ever in LA and are looking for a convenient spot to take some photos, this spot should be on your list.
Sorry for too many pics. (Maybe this should go in the Birding group instead?)

01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #5889
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
A visit to Greyser's playground
Beautiful set Larry - you really make the Bigma shine. Even @500mm it looks great!

You guys with these "city ponds" are killing me!
01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #5890
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My biggest regret is the White Kite, since I'm new to the Bigma I did not expect that when I turned it up to take the shots it was creeping down on me.
After it took off I realized most of my shots were at 350mm or less
Now I will remember to confirm that it is fully extended.
01-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5891
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
My biggest regret is the White Kite, since I'm new to the Bigma I did not expect that when I turned it up to take the shots it was creeping down on me.
After it took off I realized most of my shots were at 350mm or less
Now I will remember to confirm that it is fully extended.
Ha - I know the same would probably happen to me as I am so used to shooing my 300mm prime.

In that shooting situation you had where some of the critters will get real close to you, the zoom seems it would be quite practical.
01-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #5892
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . when I turned it up to take the shots it was creeping down on me.
I've had a few like that. My cheap-smack solution is to put a reasonably heavy rubber band around the inner barrel. It's easy to move and provides enough friction to prevent creep. If only max FL is in play it's completely un-noticed. The rubber band can also work as a moveable manual focus stop if a limited range of movement is needed.

H2

Far easier to be pragmatic with what you have and understand than to invent something new.
01-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #5893
Veteran Member

I've had a few like that. My cheap-smack solution is to put a reasonably heavy rubber band around the inner barrel. It's easy to move and provides enough friction to prevent creep. If only max FL is in play it's completely un-noticed. The rubber band can also work as a moveable manual focus stop if a limited range of movement is needed.

H2

Far easier to be pragmatic with what you have and understand than to invent something new.
Well since you posted that H2 I now realize I read crewl1's post wrong - I thought he merely forgot what focal length he had his zoom set at.
01-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #5894
Veteran Member

Love number one crew1...
01-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #5895
Veteran Member

My biggest regret is the White Kite...
Welcome to my sacred lake, crewl1! I'm glad you like it.
I never saw white kites here. However, there are a few ospreys around. It might be a juvenile osprey.

The place is amazing. I discovered it about a year ago. Every time I visit it, I see something different here. It is so diverse. I was there on Saturday and I did not see Canadian Geese. Now they have arrived. However, there was a bunch of White Pelicans. Have you seen them?

Nice shooting, BTW.

SG
« The Tammy Club! | - »