Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2011, 10:59 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just received a Componar 105mm 4.5 and I will try to build something like your rig for sure. Thanx for inspiration!

02-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Interesting, Georg! Any samples to share?
Results are here, (link was broken for click-the-pic).

Peter that's good pp on that portrait imo. I'm afraid the real folder cam users will kill us for all this .-)
02-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #123
Veteran Member

Here's a quick and easy conversion and it looks quite usable so far (real pics later)

This is a plastic meniscus lens from a diana clone. You can pop off the front of the lens incl. 'focussing mechanism',
put it on a 7mm M42 spacer and voilą. The camera becomes noticeably lighter.
02-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Here's a quick and easy conversion and it looks quite usable so far (real pics later)

This is a plastic meniscus lens from a diana clone. You can pop off the front of the lens incl. 'focussing mechanism',
put it on a 7mm M42 spacer and voilą. The camera becomes noticeably lighter.

Now that is cute

I have had a great evening testing an old and strange lens I got in a lot.
I would love any information about this lens if anyone knows.
I mounted it on my favourite bellows ( as seen in picture) but also added about 56mm tubes. This allowed it to reach infinity and the great thing is that it also works as a 1:1.3 macro ( or similar) It is quite sharp, has a very high resolution and colors are outstanding. 16blades gives a very smooth bokeh too
When I got it I couldn't move any of the controls so I took it apart and cleaned what I could and now it works pretty ok. its still quite dirty inside but I havnt found a way in to that place between the front elments yet.
I mounted it in reverse on the bellows because that was the only way i could fix it to the bellow. This way I can still control the aperture and the distance/focusing mecanism works well as a sunblocker. The weird little arm that sticks out is the focusing control. I have been plying with the idea to drill a small hole and attach some kind of arm to control the aperture with. Maybe tomorrow.
The pictures have been treated in LR but only Exposure and Tone + a little sharpness, not that it really needed any, and finally downsized to 1024.

This is a closeup of my headphones.

This is a dried rose and I played around with the tones to give the colors some extra contrast.

One of my poor green friends almost wide open.

A 15 seconds take from my balcony. In full size it is extremely sharp but that doesnt really show well when downsized.
Best of all is the blue colors on the "Ströms" sign. Much better controlled then with any other lens I have tried.

Just a closeup with ( I think ) some extra tubes. The drills are 1mm's.

A shot that was extermely sharp and honest. Again it doesnt work well downsized but still :/

Last edited by aliasant; 02-18-2011 at 06:11 PM.
02-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Aaah I can finally see your pictures. The fact that you have reversed it and it still delivers the goods makes it a suspect for being a symmetrical lens, interesting.

Here's my above-mentioned plastic lens, picture as-is no crop no nothing.
02-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
Aaah I can finally see your pictures. The fact that you have reversed it and it still delivers the goods makes it a suspect for being a symmetrical lens, interesting.

Here's my above-mentioned plastic lens, picture as-is no crop no nothing.
That is awfully charming
Looks a bit like someone made a terrible tiltshift simulation for the first time using photoshop....
I like it sort of..

yesterday I took my old lens apart completely (except the blades) and cleaned all the glass and metal.
After putting it back together again it looks very nice but I think it lost its sharpness at smaller apertures ( 4.5 -5.6) At 8 its very nice.
Most impressed with the colors. Maybe that is because it has no coatings what so ever?
I also did some research online and found that it is probably about 100years old. I found one old wooden camera that had the same lens but Im not sure if it was the exact same one. I did find a lot of versions of this lens and they all looked like newer versions with improved focusing and aperture mechanisms. They also looked a lot cleaner and with their paint still on, more or less

I did also try it not reversed but I think it was slightly worse so I went back to using it in reverse.

One peculiar thing I noticed is that it gives quite grainy images.
First I thought I had set ISO to perhaps 800 or even more but when checking it said ISO 80.
Very odd.
Must be the glass they used ?2
Edit: After more testing now that I cleaned all the glass, I think its not that grainy but slightly more then more modern lenses I use. ( 70-80's)

Another very nice thing is that its macro ratio almost exactly matches my Tokina 90mm f2.5 that has a macro ratio of 1:2.
This one does Macro 1:2 but at about 45cm distance (almost twice the distance) and used with an extra 50mm tube it does 1:1 from almost the same distance. Will be interesting to do some bug macros with it.

I took a testshot to show colors and whatnot. Wide open and with a flash.
The second is a 100%'ish crop

Last edited by aliasant; 02-19-2013 at 10:21 AM.
02-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Sorry for spamming but Im completely fascinated by this old lens.

I went out on my balcony because there were a bunch of seagulls making a terrible noise and I wanted to see if i could shoot any of them.
I set the lens at f8 and ISO 200 but forgot to change the exposure.
I had it at -3
The shots were of course underexposed so I gave them +3 in LR.
Nice having the K5 when this happens

Almost all shots turned out really sharp. For a lens like this anyways.

Both images are 100%crops with as little LR as possible.
Just a boost in exp, Black at 6 and LR default sharpness and denoise.
On the last I did paint in som blue between the clouds just to add some color.

Ooooh damned spring were are you?

04-06-2011, 07:43 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Canon FD 50mm f1.2

I'm not really sure if this is trully the "impossible" since I use this lens quite a bit, but since the register distance for the FD lenses is shorter than Pentax, I suppose this is the right place. Since these Canon lenses are quite a bargain it was worth my time (4-5h) to do this conversion.

Canon FD 50mm f1.2, 1977-1978 vintage (excuse the lazy product shot ).

The following was done in order to make this possible (everything is fully reversible):
- Obtain a 2.5mm thick Pentax-K mount
- I got very lucky here, the mount's diameter was perfect
- Mill the inner side flat
- Drill and bore for the screws
- Fabricate a "finger" from thin steel to mount on the plastic aperture ring with two custom-cut screws. The "finger" telegraphs the aperture ring movement to the internal aperture leaver. This was probably the trickiest part.
- Ground 0.5mm off an internal focus stopper so that the lens could move an extra 0.5mm towards the camera sensor for infinity focus.
- Remove most of the FD mount, shortening the lens considerably (around 6mm)
- Mount the new Pentax mount
- Look for a replacement bearing ball for the aperture ring (totally unplanned)
- Adjust infinity (the lens could originally focus to around 50 meters, I could have milled the mount more but this was easier)
- Shim the filter ring 0.5mm so that it did not catch on the focusing helicoid assembly.

Another "pretty" lens - a few pics attached. All shots but 1st are wide open at f1.2, unprocessed.
Attached Images

Last edited by photocanadian; 04-07-2011 at 03:52 AM.
04-07-2011, 12:24 AM   #129
Veteran Member

WoW
Nice conversion but pictures of the job would have been even better

I have made a conversion of a Canon FD Bellows so that I can use it on my Pentax but still using FD lenses. I had a FD 50/1.4 that i used on it for fun. The bellow can set the lens to open and it will close down when i take the picture. Still havnt really found a good FD lens to match it but I have an old FD 100-200mm on the way. Was planning to only use the mount from that one and attach an old Large format to the FD mount and that then goes onto the FD/Pentax Bellows...

Anyways.

If you have any pictures of your delicate transformation that would be really nice. Seems to have been quite the challenge to get everything right.
04-07-2011, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

Let me know if this helps. The bellows sound like a great idea - it would be nice to see some pictures of the conversion as well I am especially curious how you solved the aperture coupling to the camera.

Pictures:
1) Internal aperture coupler and the focus stopper
2) Focus stopper highlighter
3) Focus ring coupler and back side of the mount
4) Focus ring coupler engaged onto the internal aperture coupler
5) Cutout for the 3 screws holding the mount to the body lens

QuoteOriginally posted by aliasant Quote
WoW
Nice conversion but pictures of the job would have been even better

I have made a conversion of a Canon FD Bellows so that I can use it on my Pentax but still using FD lenses. I had a FD 50/1.4 that i used on it for fun. The bellow can set the lens to open and it will close down when i take the picture. Still havnt really found a good FD lens to match it but I have an old FD 100-200mm on the way. Was planning to only use the mount from that one and attach an old Large format to the FD mount and that then goes onto the FD/Pentax Bellows...

Anyways.

If you have any pictures of your delicate transformation that would be really nice. Seems to have been quite the challenge to get everything right.
Attached Images

Last edited by photocanadian; 04-07-2011 at 03:50 AM.
04-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vw_michael Quote
Let me know if this helps. The bellows sound like a great idea - it would be nice to see some pictures of the conversion as well I am especially curious how you solved the aperture coupling to the camera.

Pictures:
1) Internal aperture coupler and the focus stopper
2) Focus stopper highlighter
3) Focus ring coupler and back side of the mount
4) Focus ring coupler engaged onto the internal aperture coupler
5) Cutout for the 3 screws holding the mount to the body lens
Nice.
Thanks for those pictures and the descriptions.
Next time I find a nice ol FD lens I wont sell it but try this conversion instead.

My bellows conversion is much simpler but I was lucky having a thick PK mount with built in spring for the aparture lever.
I used one from an old Vivitar zoom ( 80-200 built by Kobari I think. SN# starting with 78)

Last monday I finally sent back my Pentax K5 for unspottification/swap so im without a real camera for now and its truly killing me.. I used my old Samsung S850 for the snaps and it has to do.

As you can see on the pictures the little aparture lever from the mount is almost in the right position but not quite. I simply bent it closer to the lever on the bellows. I did something else but it was a while since. Nothing major though. Quite simple. The PK mount isnt perfectly attached yet. I need to make new holes and find better screws. Will do that one of these days when Im bored of climbing the walls. That K5 better get here soon!.

Last edited by aliasant; 02-19-2013 at 10:22 AM.
04-07-2011, 04:50 AM   #132
Veteran Member

Thanks for sharing, that's quite ingenious - I guess making the bellows a little longer is not an issue unlike when converting a lens. I'll try that someday as I have a couple neat FD lenses (28f2.5,35f2,100f2.8) if I get bellows like that. FD lenses seem to cost less that cost of gas to get them lately thanks to spring cleaning fever .

Nice.
Thanks for those pictures and the descriptions.
Next time I find a nice ol FD lens I wont sell it but try this conversion instead.

My bellows conversion is much simpler but I was lucky having a thick PK mount with built in spring for the aparture lever.
I used one from an old Vivitar zoom ( 80-200 built by Kobari I think. SN# starting with 78)

Last monday I finally sent back my Pentax K5 for unspottification/swap so im without a real camera for now and its truly killing me.. I used my old Samsung S850 for the snaps and it has to do.

As you can see on the pictures the little aparture lever from the mount is almost in the right position but not quite. I simply bent it closer to the lever on the bellows. I did something else but it was a while since. Nothing major though. Quite simple. The PK mount isnt perfectly attached yet. I need to make new holes and find better screws. Will do that one of these days when Im bored of climbing the walls. That K5 better get here soon!.
04-07-2011, 04:58 AM   #133
Veteran Member

.....I guess making the bellows a little longer is not an issue unlike when converting a lens. I'll try that someday as I have a couple neat FD lenses (28f2.5,35f2,100f2.8) if I get bellows like that. FD lenses seem to cost less that cost of gas to get them lately thanks to spring cleaning fever .

Exatly

That 100mm 2.8 is probably a good choice for a bellows.
There are plenty of really good FD macro lenses as well that could be used but those might be harder to find.

Im getting that 100-200mm next week and if I have my K5 back by then I will try that combo.
I do think that putting an old large format lens on a Canon mount and keep the aperture mechanism in the canon mount might make a really interesting lens that would go from infinity to macro. Im not sure if it works having the aperture blades from the mount infront of the large form lens though. I think the blades need to be inbetween the glass's in a lens and not infront of the it?
Worth trying anyways. Shouldnt be to hard to strip all the glass from a canon lens and put a large format lens in there.
04-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #134
Veteran Member

I think it'll work - do this test: mount a lens on your cam, and put a sheet with a small hole near the front glass surface. Voilla, an instant aperture reducer. It is for the same reasons that lenses with cracked front glass can still take ok pictures:

Dirty lens article

(only if your stomach can take it )

Exatly

That 100mm 2.8 is probably a good choice for a bellows.
There are plenty of really good FD macro lenses as well that could be used but those might be harder to find.

Im getting that 100-200mm next week and if I have my K5 back by then I will try that combo.
I do think that putting an old large format lens on a Canon mount and keep the aperture mechanism in the canon mount might make a really interesting lens that would go from infinity to macro. Im not sure if it works having the aperture blades from the mount infront of the large form lens though. I think the blades need to be inbetween the glass's in a lens and not infront of the it?
Worth trying anyways. Shouldnt be to hard to strip all the glass from a canon lens and put a large format lens in there.
04-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #135
Veteran Member

I think it'll work - do this test: mount a lens on your cam, and put a sheet with a small hole near the front glass surface. Voilla, an instant aperture reducer. It is for the same reasons that lenses with cracked front glass can still take ok pictures:

Dirty lens article

(only if your stomach can take it )
Thats a great test
Im a son and grandson of opticians so I already had some clues that this was the case but I have never seen a test prove it like that one