Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1818 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #1141
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello Sigma 10-20 Club. New member here. I haven't had the chance to properly shoot my new baby, and I might not have a good chance for a while... I'm sorry to introduce myself with some 'test' pics taken around the house. But I'll come back with better ones, at some point... (Thanks to Ernest for being such a good and patient adviser!)

Last edited by causey; 02-17-2011 at 10:12 AM.
02-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #1142
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Hello Sigma 10-20 Club. New member here. I haven't had the chance to properly shoot my new baby, and I might not have a good chance for a while... I'm sorry to introduce myself with some 'test' pics taken around the house. But I'll come back with better ones, at some point... (Thanks to Ernest for being such a good and patient adviser!)

Hi Stefan, and welcome to the 10-20 World. Your introductory pics are splendid, boding welll for what is to come down the road. I like the aura of positivity you exude in your post. Can't wait to see your next images.

Best!

JT
02-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #1143
Veteran Member

Three more...

02-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #1144
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Love the first one. Perfect for the idea of walking right into the picture.

02-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #1145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
Love the first one. Perfect for the idea of walking right into the picture.
Agreed. No EXIF, is this @ 10mm Stefan? Great composition, with surreal look to it as well.
02-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #1146
Veteran Member

The stairs are photographed at 14mm, f5.6. The other two are 10mm, f8. Thank you!
02-21-2011, 01:15 AM - 1 Like   #1147

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure if I ever post here before.. but here's some pics taken w/ this lens. I own this lens for almost a year now and it's definitely my favorite landscape lens (mainly since it's my ONLY ultra wide lens )

All taken handheld @ 10mm, K20D + CPL + Grad ND

View the EXIF

View the EXIF

View the EXIF

Big Apologize for the watermark

02-21-2011, 09:58 PM   #1148
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverelantra Quote
Not sure if I ever post here before.. but here's some pics taken w/ this lens. I own this lens for almost a year now and it's definitely my favorite landscape lens (mainly since it's my ONLY ultra wide lens )

All taken handheld @ 10mm, K20D + CPL + Grad ND

View the EXIF

View the EXIF

View the EXIF

Big Apologize for the watermark
Those are great images. The ND Grad really enables you to preserve detail in the sky, which really makes these images stand out--nice work. I want to get a ND grad for my 10-20 Siggy--can you tell me where you bought yours? Thanks

JT
02-22-2011, 01:26 AM   #1149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Those are great images. The ND Grad really enables you to preserve detail in the sky, which really makes these images stand out--nice work. I want to get a ND grad for my 10-20 Siggy--can you tell me where you bought yours? Thanks

JT
although a GND would be typical for long exposure use, it's not bad at all at fast apertures. CPL would be nicer I would think. too bad it's not that as affordable as the GND's.
02-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #1150

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote

JT
Thanks JT.. yes you're right, I use Grad ND to avoid overexposed sky. I use Tian Ya GradND, It's a cheapo Chinese filter I bought it online for US$ 6, on the 2'nd pict I use my friend's Hitech +0.9 GradND (and he bought it online too). IMO I don't see big difference on both filters.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
although a GND would be typical for long exposure use, it's not bad at all at fast apertures. CPL would be nicer I would think. too bad it's not that as affordable as the GND's.
CPL is a must for most landscape shots.. I use CPL stacked with GradND, and I should say my Kenko pro 1 CPL is quite affordable, costs $50 BNIB. Mine free of charge (my friend gave it for free since it's surface full of scratches )
02-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #1151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silverelantra Quote
Thanks JT.. yes you're right, I use Grad ND to avoid overexposed sky. I use Tian Ya GradND, It's a cheapo Chinese filter I bought it online for US$ 6, on the 2'nd pict I use my friend's Hitech +0.9 GradND (and he bought it online too). IMO I don't see big difference on both filters.

CPL is a must for most landscape shots.. I use CPL stacked with GradND, and I should say my Kenko pro 1 CPL is quite affordable, costs $50 BNIB. Mine free of charge (my friend gave it for free since it's surface full of scratches )
I'm not sure if we have a good chinese el' cheapo CPL available. right now the best ones cost about a brand new DA35/2.4 lens. if you happen to know one, give me a buzz. I have 2 CPL filters, 49 and 58. but I need a 77mm which is costly.
02-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #1152

Isn't the conventional wisdom that you should never use a CPL with a UWA lens? With the field of view you will end up seeing the polarization of the sky across the frame (and I can see just that in the posted pictures). I would think stacking a CPL and a ND grad would cause awful vignetting as well.

I'd also never use a cheap filter, unless you don't care about image quality. Even cheap UV filters degrade image quality.
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #1153
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Silverelantra, I love your photos, especially the third one, where the stones recede from view and disappear into the deep.

As for polarizers: I bought a ~USD20 linear polarizer for my Sig and it seems to work just fine. A LOT cheaper than a CPL. I'm not sure if a higher priced LPL would offer a better image. These two were taken with the Sig at 10mm with a linear:

Snowmounds

Snow Texture

02-22-2011, 11:34 AM   #1154

QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Silverelantra, I love your photos, especially the third one, where the stones recede from view and disappear into the deep.

As for polarizers: I bought a ~USD20 linear polarizer for my Sig and it seems to work just fine. A LOT cheaper than a CPL. I'm not sure if a higher priced LPL would offer a better image. These two were taken with the Sig at 10mm with a linear:

Snowmounds

Snow Texture
Both shots are dark (snow is grey), and you can clearly see that half of the sky is darker blue than the other.
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #1155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by qtopplings Quote
Both shots are dark (snow is grey), and you can clearly see that half of the sky is darker blue than the other.
My aim in these photos was to show the texture of the freshly fallen snow, which was fluffy and feathery, and the gentle undulations of the snow-covered riverside bedrock. The snow color shown here is as close to what it was in nature (as seen through my neutral gray sunglasses) as I can get it. The sky wasn't a uniform hue, but instead graded from a lighter blue near the sun to a darker blue to the north.