Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Stuck lens on KX
Posted By: gbh, 09-11-2011, 09:17 AM

I just joined this site and also just bought my Pentax K-X DSLR camera. The Advertising indicated that I could use my old manual lenses, so when I mounted my zoom lens on the KX this morning I found that I cant get it all the way on, nor can I get it off. I have read several posts on the subject and determined it must be the dreaded Ricoh Pin. I have tried everything that I found on the net, except for sawing the lens off and overpowering the lens. It appears that my Ricoh Pin is the long pin and not the ball type. I have tried for over an hour to work it down with a feeler gage with no success. Has anyone had this happen with the Ricoh pin being the long type and were successful in getting the lens off. If so, please let me know how to do it PLEASE.

George
Views: 7,736
09-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try switching the camera AF lever back on to see if it provides some counter force to pin so the feeler gauge will have a better chance.
09-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From what I have read. The Ricoh pin sticks when the lens seat all the way on. Are you sure that you put the lens on with the red dots aligned?If you didn't then the lens could be on 180 degrees out. Have you checked the similar threads at the bottom of this page? One or two of them talks about just that scenario.
09-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Had this problem many times before. I had lenses with Ricoh Pin that supposedly to be fitted to my Super Program only, but many times I forget this and fit them to my K20D. The pin is a brass needle, about 1mm, so it could be bend somehow using adequate force . Facing the camera from above, right hand on the grip and left hand on the lens, try turning the lens harder (to off position), with a little tilt on the left side (where the pin is). Camera mount are designed to withstand much tension, so worry little.

Good Luck!

Last edited by minahasa; 09-11-2011 at 10:46 AM.
09-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
gbh

Original Poster
I have tried the feeler gage and It didn't work. I have tried moving the AF/MF switch and it didn't work. I also tried turning the camera on and moving the AF/MF switch and it didn't work. I have tried to take the lens off by turning it with my hands and it didn't work.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

George
09-11-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gbh Quote
I have tried the feeler gage and It didn't work. I have tried moving the AF/MF switch and it didn't work. I also tried turning the camera on and moving the AF/MF switch and it didn't work. I have tried to take the lens off by turning it with my hands and it didn't work.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

George
The 'turn the lens harder' idea works only if you use raw power and guts for me this is less risky than sawing, but it's your call.. oh yes, make sure you did this while pushing the release lens button on the camera.
09-11-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Using a hammer is ill advised, but sometimes it would let you feel better! I myself would get a second set of hands to help hold the camera body and press the button and twist/tear the darn thing off. Unfortunately most lenses are only accessible from the back end off the lens (for the mount pics and such at least).

05-23-2012, 05:40 AM   #8

ok
i now have a similar problem with a k-01
the lens is a sirius 28mm f2.8, and it attaches & detaches easilly on my old ME-F

it WILL NOT come off the k-01

help
05-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
gbh

Original Poster
It happened to me also. I tried every one of the suggestions on this site and the only thing that worked for me was:

> I obtained a rubber strap wrench
> Put the strap wrench around the lens
> Pressed the lens release button
> Gave the lens a quick snap turn with the rubber strap wrench
and the lens came off.

I was then able to put the lens that came with the camera back on and I was also able to use the other lenses that I had, including the one that was stuck. I had no damage to the camera. May sound drastic, but it worked and worked well. I hope you have the same success that I had.

George
05-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #10

i will give this a go

so much for the 'myth' of lens compatability on Pentax cameras
i have scrapped my plans to pre-order a K-30, so i could have made use of my existing lens collection
i have ordered 2 new EF-S lenses for my Canon 500D instead
i will continue to use my Pentax ME-F & my Pentax ME-Super as 35mm film cameras, but no new Pentax !!!!

if i ever free-up the K-01, my wife can have it, as a 'point-and-shoot' camera, set permanently on 'auto'

Rob
05-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob-48 Quote
the lens is a sirius 28mm f2.8
Not a Pentax lens.... and truth be told, it did fit on your camera which is more than you can say for any F-mount lenses on your 500D. I guess I've just been lucky that out of 20 some lenses picked up a pawn shops and garage sales, all but 3 have worked... two of those were Minolta mount because I'm an newbie and couldn't tell the difference and one is a Vivitar that has a larger flange but mounts to my extension tubes and would mount to my Kr if I just removed the flange with a screw-driver. Much like your Sirius would have worked had you removed or otherwise disabled the Ricoh pin found on some off-brand lenses that don't fully comply with the standard but happened to fit Pentax cameras "back in the day".
05-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #12

i have used pentax cameras since 1974 -- i think it was a k1000, or something like that, with a little zoom lens
i have owned pentax cameras since 1980/81
NEVER before have i had this problem with any lens, INCLUDING THIS ONE
it is NOT the lens
it IS the K-01 -- what a waste of money -- not to mention the 30mm f1.4 lens, and the 35mm DA lens, that i bought to use on it -- good money after bad
"back in the day", i have invested a lot of money, and time, on pentax products, and my budget necessitates that i use 3rd-party products
i will continue to use my ME-F & ME-Super, until they 'die', and that will be it
05-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i will give this a go

i have scrapped my plans to pre-order a K-30, so i could have made use of my existing lens collection
i have ordered 2 new EF-S lenses for my Canon 500D instead
i will continue to use my Pentax ME-F & my Pentax ME-Super as 35mm film cameras, but no new Pentax !!!!

if i ever free-up the K-01, my wife can have it, as a 'point-and-shoot' camera, set permanently on 'auto'

Rob
Huh??
05-24-2012, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Huh??
Not worth it... As they say in the tech support world PEBKAC.
05-24-2012, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Huh??
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not worth it... As they say in the tech support world PEBKAC.
Oh. I get it now.

Is that something like CYHANL?