Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Single in January

In September 2010, Stillshunter set off a train with no breaks called "Single in September" in an effort to stem LBA.

In short these are the rules of the challenge:

-Choose one lens
-Take pictures with the lens each day and upload one of them to a gallery Called "Single in January"
- Do this every day for the hole month

FAQ:
Q: How do I participate?
A: Create an album called "Single in January". Go to your User Control Panel, and under Your Profile, choose "Edit Photo Albums". There you can create the album.

Q: Once I've created my album, where/how do I submit my album to be included?
A: There is no need to submit it as everybody participating in the challenge will be listed here (click me!) automatically because they are all called "Single in January". Note that your album will not show up until it contains at least one picture.

Q: Must I upload a picture every day?
A: No, you can upload it whenever you feel like, but you must choose one for each day

Q: What if I miss a shot?
A: Do not worry about it!

Q: What is a "safety shot"?
A: It is a picture that you take early in the day as a backup if you get too busy to get the shot you wanted

Q: What about all my other lenses, can't I use them?
A: Not for this challenge, but you can shoot with them all you want

Q: If I choose a zoom lens, do I have to stick with one focal length on that lens? Or can I have the entire focal range?
A: You can use the entire focal range

Q: Is it against the rules if I use an extension tube together with the lens?
A: Not at all, you are still using the same lens!

Q: How about mounting the lens reversed then?
A: You can do that! :-)

Q: Is it just for curing LBA?
A: No! You learn a lot from using a single lens for a month, why not choose one of your least favorite ones and get to know it better?
A: You get a new bunch of friends who also shoot one picture every day
A: If you choose a similar lens as someone else, you can compare shots, image quality and share notes *aawww* :-)

Q: Is it hard?
A: The first 7 days are easy. The next 7 will get you on your toes, the next 7 will make you head hurt and if you survive that till the end you will have a bunch of fantastic shots spread out over a whole month

Q: What about that gallery, I do not have enough space for my pictures!
A: Have you considered donating to the site? It will get you a bunch of space and keep the site advertising free! You know you love it like that :-)

Q: Any hints with regards to the Album?
A: Take a snapshot of your chosen lens? Make todays picture the album cover?

Q: Photobook!
A: Yes! What a great idea, a book with photographs chosen by the challengers. Just remember to save the original files so you will have good material for prints

Q: What is this Monthly Challenges group that I have been hearing about?
A: Oh that is the Monthly Photo Challenges group - currently we are talking about this Single in January idea here

Q: Can I have a look at past challenges?
A: Yes, you can find them here and here and the current 12 day contest here

Last edited by Zorglub; 01-19-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added more FAQ
12-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #2

In! Going to be super busy towards the latter part of January but then I'll just have to get creative and shoot something in the house
12-23-2010, 08:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was going to do the 12 days but life has gotten in the way, soooo I think I'll try this one and break in my k7 with the M 50 1.7 (to deal with the lack of light if nothing else)
12-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well explained Torben!
I think I will Pass on SIJ and try for another month.

12-23-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Cannot wait for my Vivitar S1 70-210 v3! This is going to be soooo much fun!
12-23-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

gotta admit the idea of using a zoom is appealing, but the prime will be a challenge.
12-23-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lisa, I will miss your fantastic shots in SiJ! I do not think that I have told you before but you are such an inspiration for me :-)

Eddie, I did SiS with the 60-250 and SiN with a 100mm and I think the prime was easier. Why? because with a zoom you have to worry about what focal length you are going to shoot with all the time. The prime forces your mind to "see" in that one focal length, which as the month progresses becomes more of a treat than a boon.

Hmm! I think that I will either use my DA 15 since I can't seem to get used to it or the DA 70 because I just love it! :-D

12-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Lisa, I will miss your fantastic shots in SiJ! I do not think that I have told you before but you are such an inspiration for me :-)
Holy Moses Torben...thanks for such a lovely compliment...I am humbled by it!

I think I may wait until the February challenge...if we have one.
12-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote

Eddie, I did SiS with the 60-250 and SiN with a 100mm and I think the prime was easier. Why? because with a zoom you have to worry about what focal length you are going to shoot with all the time. The prime forces your mind to "see" in that one focal length, which as the month progresses becomes more of a treat than a boon.

Hmm! I think that I will either use my DA 15 since I can't seem to get used to it or the DA 70 because I just love it! :-D
I shoot mostly primes now in any case unless i am shooting an event which needs the quick flexibility of the zoom. I didn't realise the idea would be to shoot one focal length on the zoom/ yep that would be a lot tougher
The da 15 is likely a tough one to get used to. for a long time the best lens i had was the da14 and i used it all the time, now not so much. i still love it's FOV, but i have better lenses for some of the purposes i used it for now
I'd love a 70 but it's reach may be a little long for a lot of what i shoot now.
looking forward to seeing your choice (i looked at the da 100 gallery nice work)
12-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well my excitement for the Vivitar zoom is mainly the "macro" capabilities. Sure it only does 1:2.5 but that's still a heluva lot better than my 1:4.5 on the sigma 28mm.
12-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think I'm going to wait for the February one also. Maybe by then I'll have other lenses in my arsenal.
12-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
axl
Veteran Member

Great, and I particulary like the FAQ section. Well done. Count me in! I went through September and November, doing the Xmas challenge now. I'm not sure about the lens yet but I think I'll give 77ltd a spin!
12-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Will you count me in please?

Last edited by woof; 12-23-2010 at 01:30 PM.
12-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Torben, nice explanation and better merchandising.
Funny how this has developed since the first challenge.
12-23-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
Inactive Account

If you can all stand looking at my dog and my trains for en entire month, I'm in. I don't go out much in January but I'm sure I can come up with Something.