Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Before and After"

OK boys and girls it's contest time again.The theme is "Before and After".Many Pentax cameras have on board editing--filters that can change a picture on the spot before it is even downloaded to a computer.Some have more than others but the picture doesn't have to be really changed that much to qualify or win.The rules are simple.No PP allowed.Just change the picture with the camera features.Make it lighter-darker--saturated--or any other option that your camera can do.It doesn't have to be fancy.Just do it.I'm thinking $100 for first--$50 for second--$25 for third and since I won two Pentax remotes in the forum give away I will give one for fourth prize.Depending on the response I will post a closing date for the contest at a later date.Here are some examples of the theme for the contest.
Name:  007-1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  117.7 KB
Name:  008 (2)-1.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  232.2 KB
Name:  008-1.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  94.4 KB
Name:  011-1.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  109.4 KB
Name:  016-1.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  51.1 KB
Name:  017-1.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  71.7 KB
Name:  befr-2.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  214.3 KB
Name:  befr3.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  204.8 KB
Right now I'm going with 5 "Before and Afters" per person but I may change that upward depending on how the contest is going.Have fun---get familiar with what your camera can do all by its lonesome--charliezap

09-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent idea for a contest, refreshing and quite out of the ordinary I must say.

I made this one a good while ago with the K-x. I think it was selective colour, high contrast and some kind of geometric warping thing. It was fun.

The next one was meant to be a website banner. It never got that far though. I think I even did the crop in camera but I honestly can't remember.

Regards,
--Anders.
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Anders for the kind words concerning the contest and being the first to kick it off."The game is afoot."--Ok folks--No PP to help you out.Just you and the camera.----charliezap-
10-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Before/After of the Grand Canyon diesel locomotive, edited in-camera.

Attached Images

10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One more, love shooting these trains. Come on everyone, jump in and give it a try. The nice thing is you can take a photo that normally you would erase, experiment a bit and you have a keeper. Bob
Attached Images

10-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Hollywood Stones (Rolling Stones Cover Band) - Meant to focus on the feet... That was the shot i was looking but my lens felt otherwise

Before

After - Converted into a banner...
10-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Can we enter more than once? Or change our entry?

BEFORE:
[IMG]
[/IMG]

AFTER:
[IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited by sealonsf; 10-14-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added a question
10-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There aren't that many entries so far so at this point in time you can submit 5.I may even up that depending on the response.--charliezap
10-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Before
[IMG]
[/IMG]

After
[IMG]
[/IMG]
10-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Before
[IMG]
[/IMG]

After
[IMG]
[/IMG]
10-17-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll enter.

Bike Ride

becomes...

Technicolor Bike Ride

K20D and SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 28mm with Polaraizer.

On camera RAW processing to change the White Balance and skew it to the purple/magenta side. I also changed the scene mode and in that sub-menu upped the saturation, shifted the hue slightly, increased contrast and also sharpness. I then took the resulting jpeg, brightened, one notch of blue filter, then made an illustration out of it, and finally gave it a medium HDR treatment to bring out the Pencil lines even more. That obviously made a whole bunch of different files, with resaving the jpegs in between. Interesting to know you can do all of that, but much more work than doing it via computer software. It would be much more useful if the alterations could be cumulative without having to save after each step, because I found that the order of the adjustments made a huge impact (i.e. HDR before Illustration wasn't a very good combo, but Illustration first gave a better result). Maybe more modern cameras can do that.
10-31-2011, 06:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Well a good start. Here's my first Entry - don't play with the filters much it was fun. Fall is here we were away for a week and upon our arrival home I noticed all the leaves had fallen off our trees and bushes. So the yard work consumed a few hours yesterday.

Had to buy a new rake - no idea where the one we had went ? How does someone loose a rake ??? Here's the original

A little posturization filter

11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #13
Closed Account

Autumn view from our deck before all the leaves fell

K5 "Extracted Color" filter. This was a first try with the creative filters. Both were cropped and lightened.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The contest has been running for a month and a half and the response has been dismal.I may change the theme to one that everyone can participate in.I know that the on board filters limits the playing field so I will ponder something for everyone.Suggestions for the contest will be appreciated.--charliezap