Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2012, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Single in May 2012

We're still going, Stillshunter, this is your legacy.
This challenge is meant to help cure LBA, but instead, it has almost become a learning thread.

Feel free to pick a lens for the month, perhaps one you haven't used much before, and over the month learn how to extract every ounce of goodness out of that lens, and your camera, and also polish your own skills, with plenty of hints and tips from other users, and plenty of "to-die-for" shots just waiting for your critique.

Everyone is welcome, veterans and newbies alike.

It's spring in the northern hemisphere, and autumn "down under", so there's really no excuse for not getting out and about and taking photos.

It will foster camaraderie with other PF users, and forge great friendships!

And it is a lot of fun mostly (although a little pressure on us isn't really a bad thing).

I hope everyone will consider joining in.

--------------------------------------------------------

The basic idea of the challenge is
  1. Take a picture each day using the same lens for the whole month (it's ok / inevitable to miss a couple of days - so don't worry)
  2. Upload the picture to a "Single in May 2012" album in your album space on the forums or you can use Flickr (Single Challenge link) or other hosting service
  3. Post the picture to the daily thread here.
  4. Comment on other member's pictures. All comments will be warmly received from the basic "I like it" to "Well, I think you channelled Ansel Adams wonderfully!"
  5. Have fun, learn lots about your camera / lens combination, and yourself!
EASY!

You can freely select any single lens to use for the whole month, and it's OK to use extension tubes, macro add-ons, teleconverters etc. However, please include the lens details when you are posting your pictures.

If you are unsure how to post pictures please ask in this thread or check the threads from previous months.

There is no fixed theme for this month, but the group may be open to theme and inspiration suggestions

Jack.

04-23-2012, 02:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

might join in again for the month
04-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
might join in again for the month
yay!!
04-23-2012, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello.. M 85mm f2, unless I somehow break it in the next week.

04-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timh Quote
Hello.. M 85mm f2, unless I somehow break it in the next week.

Nice choice, look forward to seeing some portraits!
04-23-2012, 04:07 AM - 1 Like   #6

I'm in for the challenge in May with a SMC 85 SOFT :-)
04-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FlashGordon Quote
I'm in for the challenge in May with a SMC 85 SOFT :-)
Welcome aboard.

04-23-2012, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll be watching Tim's 85/2 as well as the 85 soft...

I on the other hand have a new F28mm f2.8, or maybe my FA50mm f1.4 which has been lonely with all the challenge work.
04-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I'll be watching Tim's 85/2 as well as the 85 soft...

I on the other hand have a new F28mm f2.8, or maybe my FA50mm f1.4 which has been lonely with all the challenge work.
Excellent choices there.
04-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Portraits? Well... I'm not much of a people person (in fact, none of my images this month have had any people in!) but I might try one or two!

Mattt, either is a good choice but I feel the 50 is probably more fun...
04-23-2012, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #11

I'm in, too.

I will go with something less extreme next month. Maybe a Helios 44? Or I have had this Takumar-A 28 f/2.8 for a couple of years now, barely used it, and I can't decide if it is crap or if the focal length just doesn't suit me. I might give it a try. Not sure yet.
04-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nono Quote
I'm in, too.

I will go with something less extreme next month. Maybe a Helios 44? Or I have had this Takumar-A 28 f/2.8 for a couple of years now, barely used it, and I can't decide if it is crap or if the focal length just doesn't suit me. I might give it a try. Not sure yet.
The Helios... I love it during the April Challenge! It's quite a versatile lens!
04-23-2012, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After a month with an ultrawide zoom, I think I will turn to a telephoto zoom for a change. I used my DA 55-300 for my first ever Single In effort a year ago January during a wickedly cold winter. I had to bump the ISO to get adequate speed much of the time. With the K-5 and much more light, the results should be quite different. I don't use this lens too much so it is probably due for a month long work out.
04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nono Quote
I'm in, too.

I look forward to many more nice Parisien shots!

QuoteOriginally posted by jmschrei Quote
After a month with an ultrawide zoom, I think I will turn to a telephoto zoom for a change. I used my DA 55-300 for my first ever Single In effort a year ago January during a wickedly cold winter. I had to bump the ISO to get adequate speed much of the time. With the K-5 and much more light, the results should be quite different. I don't use this lens too much so it is probably due for a month long work out.
You did very well with this lens, with good light your next month will be exceptional!
04-23-2012, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I'm in but at am still undecided about what to try.

There's a vivitar 70-210 (not one of the series 1) lenses that I picked up at the camera fair for a song that's been collecting dust since purchase.

My tamron 80-210 103a also has been severely neglected... and I loved that lens, for the what, three hours? that it got onto the camera after purchase...

There's also the 50mm 1.8 Meyer that I quite liked and feel like it needs some loving. But there's also a Volna 50/2 (i think?) that really deserves some proper air time.

I've been doing wide angle atm, so it might be good to go back into my zoomy telephoto comfort range.

Hrmm.. decisions, decisions. Thank goodness I don't have to make the decision ASAP!

Either way, count me in for one lens or another.. *snarf*