Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Potw 20 : 07/27 - 08/03
Posted By: Bramela, 07-27-2008, 01:14 PM

I will take up the baton if you like

POTW : This week from Today Sunday 27th July to Sunday 3rd August.

Lets keep up the high standard of shots we have seen over the past weeks.

Rules as before:
1) No theme just your favorite stuff.
2) Let's keep it to about 4-6 images per post just so the thread doesn't get too big each week .
3) Any Pentax camera is fine, film, P&S, DSLR (or Samsung DSLR)
4) Runs for 7 days <Sunday Date> to <Sunday Date>
5) Enter anything you shot last week or this current week until the thread closes.

Previous hosts: 1 Peter Zack, 2 Eaglerapids, 3 rmtagg, 4 Peter Zack, 5 daacon, 6 Bramela, 7 mtnbearhug, 8 dantuyhoa, 9 gawan, 10 roentarre, 11 daacon, 12 Kris, 13 mtnbearhug, 14 SCGushue, 15 daacon, 16 maxwell1295, 17 dantuyhoa, 18 daacon, 19 maxwell1295,20 Daacon, loop .....

Last edited by Bramela; 07-27-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Views: 20,048
07-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #2
Syb
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here are mine...

"A cup of tea, madam?"
"Thanks, George, and I'll have strawberry and mango ice cream after that."
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice start Bruce and great story, Syb!

Here are some pics from my lighthouse trip

07-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bruce - Thanks for starting POTW20 nice stormy picture ..

Syb - nice shots what are you doing in #1 ? #2 looks umm umm good

Georg - love #1 and #3 wow well done.

Here are few from the Prairie Boy as he is back home away from the ocean....it was hot and sunny here today. Thank God for CPL filters ...

All taken today with the DA* 16-50 and CPL

Click on image for larger view

Some Hey Hey Hay shots

A little look down the fence line

My chariot

Last edited by daacon; 07-27-2008 at 06:02 PM.
07-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ah those strawberry's (pretzels) are making me hungry! Nice set up Syb

Gawan, Nice shots. Great views from uo top. That is a big lighthouse. Love your shots around the area.

And in the lighthouse theme:
I took my new toy out very early this morning. Sunrise was at 5:45 or so and of course we're surrounded by the ocean. Off to Brackley Point Beach PEI at 4:30. Armed with too much stuff and the 1000mm Meade. Still trying to get used to this lens. Focus is an issue and I might have to get another body installed with a Katz Eye just for it's use. So to start Cove head lighthouse before sunrise. Da 16-45
Name:  IMGP2920pp signed.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  13.6 KB

Sunrise on the water as the sun was just clearing the horizon:

Great Blue Heron, getting ready for a day of fishing. These guys can stand in one spot like statues for endless amounts of time. I watched him for a good 20 minutes for some action and gave up. Of course he caught a fish as the tripod was going in the car
1000mm + AF1.7TC=1700mm f17

Lots of sandpipers around. I've tried to shoot these guys before and you just can't get close enough. They never stand still and take off if you're within 150 meters of them. This time they couldn't see me.
1000mm f10

Just for reference: heres's a shot of that Heron above Da 16-45mm at 45mm.
Name:  IMGP3018.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  41.5 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-28-2008 at 06:54 AM.
07-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Ominous sky there Bruce. Storms coming in. I heard there was snow in Sydney today. snow sliding with surf boards too.

Those shots could be taken here Dave. Although a caddie of that year would be rusted out with our salt air. Nice stuff.
07-27-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Peter - yeah hay fields are a staple from cost to cost - and I spent 10- years in Montreal - between the salt air and the salt they put on the roads there 10 years was about a car life for sure! (My Caddy is a '97) Here out west no salt on roads (although the last couple of years that have added a little salt) and well certainly no sea air to worry about I remember comming out here in '79 and seeing cars with no doors or hoods. Comming from the east yearly car safety inspections were a way of life - in Alberta haha as long as she ran back then

Now about your shots. I love the moon and lighthouse , the moon looks a little pixelated ? Maybe a dowlnoad / resize issue how does the original look ? I thought the Herring was pretty good and then I saw the distance at 43mm it is awesome ! I really like the sun on the water as well.

It was about 28 degrees today (Celsius of course) and then I was about to BBQ some Alberta Beef for supper (nice rib eyes ummmmmmmmmmmmm) then all of sudden the clouds opened up Bam ! Here are a couple of shots, it does not justify just how hard it came down , and how big the drops were. The hard rain lasted about 20 minutes off and on and now an hour later it is not raining - gotta love Alberta

Went out to the Garage and snapped a few

07-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Gawan: That's a lovely place. That first image is a cracker! (Trans: this is a good thing.)
07-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here are a series of pictures from the local farmers' market here in Chico. It is held every Saturday morning and every Thursday evening in the spring/summer season. A great place for people-watching.
P.S. How do you get them to line up one above the other instead of horizontally, folks?
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by kevindt; 07-27-2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: layout question
07-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow, what a great start to the week. Thanks all!
Syb : Tea in a Tree, that IS very different. And strwberries as well. Well done!

Gawan : great set of shots of/from/in the lighthouse. Very interesting.

Dave : Nice country shots. Out to take in some real country air by the look of it!

Peter : A really nice set of shots. Love the lighthouse (?) with the moon .Nicely done.
Yes, it is very cold here (for our standardss anyway) Snow, rain, wind, the lot.

Dave : Those street shots are just about exactly what we are experiencing at the moment. Rain and more rain. 28deg sounds alright though. We are about 5deg.

kevindt : Those shots from the markets are really interesting. Love the colours and the people. Very well captured.

Well done all, keep them coming they are very interesting.
07-27-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
From my Garden,

A couple from my garden on Sunday. Yes, we did get a little bit of sunshine.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-27-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

dave, Not a great day for the BBQ. Plenty warm but... We could use more rain here. It's been so hot as to be unbearable since the humidity can hover between 65-80%. You are right about the moon in that shot. I'll try resizing it and loading it again. Some shots turn out fine and others look terrible. I revised the post with a direct upload.

kevindt, A great series of Street shots. They look excellent. Welcome to the POTW's and lets see lots more! Love the kids shots and the expressions. The last one is fun as well.

Bruce, we can always count on you to post some great flower shots no matter the season

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-28-2008 at 06:48 AM.
07-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter, but sometimes I worry that it might get a bit repititive.
Just love Macro photography and having the Viv Ser1 105 macro makes it all that much more enjoyable.
Then again, I do come up with something different now and again, like the top of this thread.
Thanks for the encouragement Peter.
07-28-2008, 01:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shots already !

The theme "Metal and Flesh" stuck with me for a while so I came up with this

I made the outfit out of aluminum foil . Not much PP done to all my images . Nothing ruins the love of photography much faster than go out and machine gun everything thinking you can fix it later !

Gotta get some shut eyes . I will come back and comment . Thanks

Tran
07-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

kevindt - nice series. We like to go to the farmers market here as well. Great place for produce and people watching.

Bruce - great flowers and not to worry - it nevers gets routine to see things of beauty.

Peter yes the moon looks much better now. Humidity ? While we occassionaly get some humidity - generally it is a foriegn concept here. Hope you get some rain.

Tran - nice shot I like the creativity of metal. The water looks quite dark on the left hand side (looking at the picture)

Here are a few more from the Drive about the countyside (and yeah it could be anywhere in the big ole' country of ours ...)

Open Spaces

Uncontrolled Train Crossings ... the cause of a few accidents / deaths per year ...

A look down the tracks .. .