Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Igilligan

Post your: 'It's just so wrong' photos here

I know we all have them... photos that are technically all wrong, but for whatever reason we like them anyway...
The composition is wrong, they are too dark or too light, the focus is off, the subject matter is just "wrong" or absolutely bland, the angle of the dangle is off...
BUT you like it anyway...

I will start with 'just so wrong' of mine... When ever if first get an old lens lens in the mail... I put it on the camera and snap a wide open shot of an old
chandelier that hangs right outside my patio door. It is just to get a feel of how it is gonna handle the OOF stuff and to see how sharp it is wide open...

04-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll play along. here's one I tool while sitting in the front yard shooting birst at the feederd and neighborhood lids. I've been doing most of my shooting in manual mode lately (thanks Brian Peterson) and went to a shady area from a very bright one without changing settings,

04-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess this may qualify. It is just a missed shot, I had the time, just didn't pay attention to the shutter and iso, oh well.....

04-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
Igilligan

thanks for playing Wayne...

A perfectly 'wrong' example, and I like it! It gives a 'mood' to a squirrel shot, you can't do that with proper exposure...

I too am famous for taking my first 'M' shot with the last settings... the wrong settings. Sometimes missing a 'one chance' shot in the process.
But sometimes creating a beautiful mistake. This is still one of my favorite mistakes with the Helios... lots of available window light in the bedroom for this shot... but the 'M' settings were for some outdoor shots that I had taken a couple of hours earlier. I saw my wife and daughter playing on the bed and just grabbed the camera / focused and snapped... None of the properly exposed shots even came close to this 'wrong' shot!

04-05-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Igilligan

Also a fine example

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I guess this may qualify. It is just a missed shot, I had the time, just didn't pay attention to the shutter and iso, oh well.....
But that one barely applies as it looks awfully good....
04-05-2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This one:

Flickr Photo Download: Mikko

He's straight off the airplane, you can't see my friend's face, etc... But I like it.
04-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Gus that is a great shot of your wife and daughter.

04-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Good idea!

The shutter button was depressed accidentally when I was moving (F 50 1.7)

Underexposed, noisy, camera shake - and I love it (Nokton)

Another underexposure, saved with contrast adjustment, I like (Tak 55 1.8)

04-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #9
Igilligan

Jay... that alarm clock shot is great... I can hear the bells ringing...

Come on you all... I know you are all very good, but surely you got some stinkers you love...
04-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
Damn Brit

Yessir Major Pita sir, at the double sir. Where would you like it shoved sir? Right up your what sir?

Left WB on flash setting. Oops!

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-29-2010 at 09:48 PM.
04-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here's an example of why having a 2nd shooter at an event is a really good plan, especially after 7hrs of shooting.

Bumped the green button and reset the camera to 1/6s @ f/2.8; wasn't paying attention to my background and got the paparazzi and my co-shooter in the frame; and missed on the pan attempt. Still kinda cool in a LSD trip kinda way...

Last edited by Venturi; 05-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
04-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Gus, I know I'm a little weird, but I really like your chandelier shot.
04-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I've posted these a while back under a "missed shot" thread, but they qualify here as well.
Up at our cabin last Fall, still learning the ins & outs of my (relatively) new DSLR camera at that point. packing the van to go home, when one of the kids yells "bear!".
I grabbed the camera off the front seat, and just shot - no mind to settings (like AF on). Maybe the only bear shots I'll ever get - and they suck - but they're MY bear shots!

Tim

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/general-pentax-photography/26...way-bear-1.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/general-pentax-photography/26...way-bear-2.jpg
04-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #14
Forum Member

Slow shutter speed pan of a moving vehicle at night. Most of it's just a dark but colorful blur, and the truck isn't completely in the frame. I find it compelling for some reason. I think the chrome hubcap is the key. Shot with K100D, Tokina AF193 19-35, ISO 1600, 1/10 second.
04-07-2009, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Hey, these are very artistic shots - yeah, I love that hubcap...

Here's something that was so wrong from the start: I had the wrong lens (DA70) and the wrong camera (ZX-10 with reluctant mode switch) set on auto focus... the idea would have worked better with a wide angle, prefocused shot. Who knows, maybe even a digital camera

But, I like the strangeness of it