Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
B&H Photo Contest: "People and Nature: Mutual Influence" ($200 prize!)
Posted By: Adam, 07-07-2010, 01:38 PM

The theme for the B&H Photo Contest is:

"People and Nature: Mutual Influence"

Show man's influence on nature, nature's influence on man, or man's presence in nature in your photographs. Be creative!

As a reminder, the winner will be awarded a $200 prize from B&H photo.

Rules for this contest:
  • One photo may be submitted per user
  • The photo must be taken between July 6, 2010 and August 1, 2010 (inclusive)
  • EXIF information must not be stripped. If none is present, please specify camera, date, and location.
  • Submissions that do not conform to the contest theme will be disqualified
  • Submissions must be uploaded to our special gallery section here
  • Maximum filesize is 1.5Mb; there are no restrictions on resolution.
  • Photos that are disqualified will be moved to the disqualified sub-category in the gallery. You may upload another photo if your initial submission was disqualified. Note that only photos not taken during the contest period, or not matching the theme, are disqualified.
Good luck! We will close for uploads on August 2nd.

CLICK HERE TO UPLOAD

View the:
WINNER

Found a forum post helpful? Add to the user's reputation by clicking the icon or reputation link beside his/her post!

PentaxForums.com is 100% user-supported. You can help cover our high server costs by donating or getting your photo gear from our affiliate B&H Photo, but only by clicking the button below before you buy! You may be eligible for free Site Supporter status as well!

Views: 47,792
07-07-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Based on the rules, I take it has to be a digital camera, but not necessarily Pentax?
07-07-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Film & digital are allowed: there are no restrictions there

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM   #4

I would rather hope that preference would go to a photo taken with a Pentax. Of course, with film there's no way to tell.

07-07-2010, 02:39 PM   #5

Man vs. Nature

This wasn't even a candidate in the voting. if you are just going to choose a topic, why go through the farce of a nominations and a vote?
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Nature & The Environment was chosen as the general category in the poll- that's what this contest is about, with a non-trivial approach.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-07-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The title and description are contradictory -
Title: Man versus Nature
Description: Show man's influence on nature or nature's influence on man in your photographs.

So how do the judges judge? More points for versus or influence?

07-07-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I don't see how that conflicts, but I'm open to clearer wording if some can be suggested.

BTW, there are no judges for this contest- we'll be voting for the winner as a forum.

Adam

07-07-2010, 03:08 PM   #9

So does it have to be shot with a Pentax camera?
07-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Film & digital are allowed: there are no restrictions there
So, how do I fudge the exif from my scanner?

Steve
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmac920 Quote
This wasn't even a candidate in the voting. if you are just going to choose a topic, why go through the farce of a nominations and a vote?
I agree this does not even come close to what we voted on what a farce.
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Forum Member

Why complain? Post your entry and see if the rest of us consider you a winner. I'll be back later with my entry.

Tim
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I don't see how that conflicts, but I'm open to clearer wording if some can be suggested.

BTW, there are no judges for this contest- we'll be voting for the winner as a forum.
My objection would be the word versus, which assumes opposition. It implies that it would be okay to have a guy holding up the carcass of some animal (as opposed to a woman holding the carcass) but not a photo of a person feeding an animal or planting a tree.

Why not "People and Nature"? Or "People and Nature: Mutual Influence"? Or something like that?
07-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmac920 Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I agree this does not even come close to what we voted on what a farce.
There's plenty that don't agree w/either of you. I think 'how' we got to this topic is just fine.
07-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Jeez guys! What you're niggling on the topic? Just focus your frustration squarely between the 1/4 of an inch viewfinder and the tip of your trigger finger.

Brief is clear - Man vs Nature....Anyway, I thought vision and interpretation were a major part of the photographer's trade.

I wouldn't care if the brief was "Tutus, eggbeaters and a truck driver" in a single frame. It's $200 and it's a challenge!! I'm not sure which part is confusing.

Last edited by stillshunter; 07-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Closed Thread