Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
Banned

Pentax lenses on Canon EOS

I have 100+ Pentax lenses(m42,K,F,FA&DA)plus a dozen or so Tamron Adaptall,s,as I am tired waiting for Pentax to state whether the K5 will be fully tethered(as good as Canikon with onone camera remote +iPod) I would like any comments by anyone who has used their Pentax lenses on a Canon EOS.I shoot mainly macro flora and female portraiture and sell 100% of my work and would love to be able to tether camera and interact with my female subjects up close and away from camera.PLEASE to not make any comments on how K5 can be juryrigged to tether.

12-22-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
kryss,

You can spend $35 on a K-to-EOS adapter. And another $35 for a M42-to-EOS adapter. Both can have focus confirmation capability that’s of dubious value.

I have both of these and use them with a Canon 7D and a Canon 5DMK2. There are significant limitations when using these lenses on Canon.

--The 7D is more accommodating because it has a smaller internal mirror box that allows the aperture lever of K-mount lenses and some M42s to clear.

--For use with the 5DMK2 you would have to perform radical surgery on your K-mount lenses chopping off the lever. There are instructions online.

--For both Canon bodies, the use of these lenses are only in stop down mode and manual focus. I have found that to be OK for a special lens or two (like my Voigtlander 125mm) but tiresome over the long term. So, I have begun purchasing EOS mount lenses that replicate the focal lengths of my K-mount lenses.

If tethering while shooting macros and portraits is your core requirement, consider simply using a K20D. It's a fine camera, plenty capable of producing professional work. I still use mine, especially for closeups and selling fine art. That's far cheaper and easier than purchasing a Canon and trying to extract added value from your large Pentax lens collection.

An alternative is to sell just about all your equipment and purchase a 645D. While I'll still hang on to my Canon 7D for sports and wildlife, I'm debating very much doing that right now.

M
12-22-2010, 01:51 PM   #3
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
kryss,

You can spend $35 on a K-to-EOS adapter. And another $35 for a M42-to-EOS adapter. Both can have focus confirmation capability that’s of dubious value.

I have both of these and use them with a Canon 7D and a Canon 5DMK2. There are significant limitations when using these lenses on Canon.

--The 7D is more accommodating because it has a smaller internal mirror box that allows the aperture lever of K-mount lenses and some M42s to clear.

--For use with the 5DMK2 you would have to perform radical surgery on your K-mount lenses chopping off the lever. There are instructions online.

--For both Canon bodies, the use of these lenses are only in stop down mode and manual focus. I have found that to be OK for a special lens or two (like my Voigtlander 125mm) but tiresome over the long term. So, I have begun purchasing EOS mount lenses that replicate the focal lengths of my K-mount lenses.

If tethering while shooting macros and portraits is your core requirement, consider simply using a K20D. It's a fine camera, plenty capable of producing professional work. I still use mine, especially for closeups and selling fine art. That's far cheaper and easier than purchasing a Canon and trying to extract added value from your large Pentax lens collection.

An alternative is to sell just about all your equipment and purchase a 645D. While I'll still hang on to my Canon 7D for sports and wildlife, I'm debating very much doing that right now.

M
Hi Miguel,It would be 7D if I move so no problem with aperture lever and in either macro or portraiture I don't thing infinity focusing would matter.I would like to know more of how 20d handles tethering and what is required.
12-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To tether the K20D you need the Pentax Remote Assistant utility. I don't think are third-party tools. Then via cable you can control the camera & see output from a computer. I've used a laptop connected to a LCD projector for presentations & classes.

I believe with an eyefi card you can do this wirelessly as well as trigger Lightroom ingestion. Search this site for an informative thread.
M