Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My thoughts on the Panasonic GH2

Hey all,

I recently bought a Panasonic GH2. I chose it over the K-5 because I needed improved video more than I needed improved IQ. Don't worry - I'll find an excuse for the K-5 soon enough

I've started blogging about my experience with the camera - and mostly about how it works as a still camera, not a video camera. I thought that I'd share this with the forum since I'm drawing comparisons with the GH2 to the cameras that I know - the K20d and the K-x - as well as the DA Limiteds and DA*s. Click here if you are interested.

Thanks

01-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Panasonic. The comparison with the K-x is very helpful.
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Please take some photos with the DA 40mm Limited mounted on your new Lumix. I would love to see how the Lumix does with Pentax lenses!
01-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm facing the same decision and have really struggled with it. I'm actually an Oly/Leica shooter and really love the color and quality of the files I get from both and everything I see from the GH1 (and GH2) just don't impress me... but for video, it's the bee's knees. I already bought the adaptor to try the pancakes on the GH2 if I can ever get my hands on one.

I'm going to read your blog... I'd love to hear more about what you think of the sharpness and color coming out of the GH2...

01-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey, DRabbit, nice web site. I really love your photos.
01-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
I'm facing the same decision and have really struggled with it. I'm actually an Oly/Leica shooter and really love the color and quality of the files I get from both and everything I see from the GH1 (and GH2) just don't impress me... but for video, it's the bee's knees. I already bought the adaptor to try the pancakes on the GH2 if I can ever get my hands on one.

I'm going to read your blog... I'd love to hear more about what you think of the sharpness and color coming out of the GH2...
My initial impressions is that the sharpness is there with Panny 20 F1.7.

Colors? The jury is still out, as it is dark and grey in our of the world right now. I do have shots with the DA21, M50, and DA70, but all under artificial light...

M50 F1.7

Taken with the DA21 IIRC

DA21, with sunlight coming in through the window:

Last edited by johnmflores; 01-09-2011 at 10:38 PM.
01-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Snofox!

John...
I'd likely skip the 14-140 lens as my husband has it already for his GH1 and I'd rather use a lot of the lenses I already have (even though I realize I'm giving up the OIS). I tried the 14-140 on my EP2 and hated it. Love the 20 f/1.7 though (have that one already).

Whenever I see samples from the GH2/GH1 they appear so dull. I think your shot of the hotdog cart man is about the best of what I've seen out of the GH2 by far in terms of sharpness, contrast and color (which gives me hope). I saw a sample over at DPR today that also showed a lot of noise in the sky at base ISO, which really concerns me. Can you comment on that?

I think the biggest reason I'm torn is that 1) I wanted something weather-sealed. I love to shoot in the rain and snow and going out there with my M8, EP2 or K-x probably isn't all that smart... and 2) I really wanted to love the K-5 for video because of how good their shake reduction system is for video in the K-x... it's amazing really.

Honesty, I don't think anyone can make the decision for me. I think I'm going to remain torn... unless I win the lottery. LOL

01-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DRabbit Quote
Thanks Snofox!

John...
I'd likely skip the 14-140 lens as my husband has it already for his GH1 and I'd rather use a lot of the lenses I already have (even though I realize I'm giving up the OIS). I tried the 14-140 on my EP2 and hated it. Love the 20 f/1.7 though (have that one already).

Whenever I see samples from the GH2/GH1 they appear so dull. I think your shot of the hotdog cart man is about the best of what I've seen out of the GH2 by far in terms of sharpness, contrast and color (which gives me hope). I saw a sample over at DPR today that also showed a lot of noise in the sky at base ISO, which really concerns me. Can you comment on that?

I think the biggest reason I'm torn is that 1) I wanted something weather-sealed. I love to shoot in the rain and snow and going out there with my M8, EP2 or K-x probably isn't all that smart... and 2) I really wanted to love the K-5 for video because of how good their shake reduction system is for video in the K-x... it's amazing really.

Honesty, I don't think anyone can make the decision for me. I think I'm going to remain torn... unless I win the lottery. LOL
I certainly wouldn't call the GH2 dull. FWIW, I shoot RAW and pull what I want out of the photo with LR3. I have heard grumblings about Panny's JPG engine but I haven't shot enough to comment on. Others call Oly's JPG engine the best, but I can't comment on that either.

As I've written, my initial impressions are that the GH2 is not that far away from the K20d - ISO1600 usable, decent DR, etc. There are definitely times where it feels like a P&S versus a "proper" camera, but it takes good photos. I will likely take it on my next motorcycle assignment. It should be fine as long as I keep it dry.

If only the K-5 had manual video controls....
01-10-2011, 03:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Now if you just go and join my forum, you'll be complete.
01-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I did a quick test the other night with the following cameras:

GH2 with 20 F1.7 @ ISO800, F1.7, 1/60
K20d with DA40 F2.8 Limited @ ISO800, F2.8, 1/20
K-x with DA35 F2.8 Macro Limited @ ISO800, F2.8, 1/25

One of the cats was sleeping in a chair, so I took a bunch of shots. I know this is web resolution, but can you tell them apart?

Pardon the mega size, I wanted to make sure you could pixel peep

Not the best subject, but the cats are the only ones in the house that will sign the model release!
01-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #11
Banned

I am glad I purchased a GH2 instead of the K-5 since I have only used my K-7 in the 100-800 iso range and I have not seen any difference in the K-5 in that range. Video mode is much more important to me since video clips have a much bigger impact than stills IMHO. Some still rate the Canon MK2 better than the GH2 only because of the shallow DOF with the FF sensor but for me it would be a showstopper trying to keep people in focus not to mention my Pentax lenses would not work with the 5D because of the aperture pin hitting the mirror. I prefer the sharper video quality of the GH2 than the 5D MK2 and the DOF is just right with fast F0.95-F1.4 lenses.
01-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Took the GH2 out for a snowshoe today. The light was great today in the late afternoon, and I finally got to take some photos outside of things that were not grey! Hurrah!

While the GH2 may not match the best APS-C cameras, it does pretty well:

01-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote

While the GH2 may not match the best APS-C cameras, it does pretty well:
in fact GH2 sensor will not match any Sony sensor since 10mp CCD generation.
01-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
in fact GH2 sensor will not match any Sony sensor since 10mp CCD generation.
Is that observation from personal experience?
01-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think you missed the part about joining my forum.