Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2011, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered an LX5 system and why i did that :p

As much as i love shooting larger formats DSLR> LF, i've been pretty much shooting with my iPhone 4 but needing a little more versatility and portability i ended up getting a Canon S30is for the zoom range.

While that sufficed for awhile i found myself needing something even more smaller (less attracting) as i spend my time at the malls A LOT and mall security usually follows me around LOL especially after being told a few times about their "no photography policy" which i abide by for a few minutes after the lectures BUT as i usually have quite a few shopping bags with me, i'm guessing that's why i'm never banned from the malls

I digress, so after tossing and turning all the options in my head, yes i even considered the Fujifilm X100, i just couldn't restrict myself to that fixed lens no matter how hyped that camera is right now excluding it's current asking price. In short the LX5 won

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Clicker; 06-14-2011 at 03:32 PM.
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some samples

I just cropped, resized, framed and alter perspective...colours are straight from the camera...i didn't use any of the accessories as yet those will come later.

Last edited by Clicker; 06-15-2011 at 04:58 PM.
06-15-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
rhe
Closed Account

The Panasonic Lumix LX5 is also my other camera. It is outstanding as a travel camera and for everyday use when a smaller size and weight is called for. I previously used the LX2 and have passed it along to my son who was delighted with the"hand-me-down".
06-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
Banned

I plan on getting the Leica version sometime later this year as a snapshot camera for my return trip to the philippines next year. I didn't have one this year and lugging the digital SLR around everywhere proved far too cumbersome. after trying a family members LX4 while I was there, I was impressed to say the least. its a great system and gives excellent results. I hope you enjoy it, I think you made a great purchase!

06-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Leica version supposedly has much better IO than this version? I read that somewhere but i'm just happy going out to shoot and hopefully capturing a few good memorable keepers. I'm hoping to probably add the GF1 and X100 shortly as it's the "collector" in me that wants more than needs but i can see this being one of my daily shooter, my iphone4 being the real daily shooter as it hardly ever leaves me

I'm waiting first to see what Pentax has coming before i move on the X100 and GF1which i probably will get as i've already gotten the K2M43 adapter but from my limited use of the LX5 thus far i'm quite happy and hopefully will start using it and showing some more samples soon.
06-20-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
Banned

I haven't heard of any real differences in terms of performance between the two. besides the obvious 'red dot tax' you get a three year warranty instead of a one year. you get a full copy of adobe lightroom with your purchase, and there are some body cosmetic differences and different firmware. thats about it as far as I know. I want the leica version mainly because I prefer the more simplistic body design. the standard 'less is more' leica style. even though the grip on the lumix is probably pretty helpful. but I think its fair to say that the price difference is mainly just to have that red leica logo. but I found out just how valuable a quality p&s can be for quick snapshots, as I found myself doing more of those on vacation than I thought I would, so I consider the price of the leica version worth it as it is, with or without the dot. seeing your lumix makes me want to nab a D-Lux 5 even more!
06-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm being distracted with the Optio H90, i know it's not even close but i'm trying to push it's limits something i'm trying to do hands-on on the fly...the only way to go sometimes.

07-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just ordered one too. The last straw was when my family threatened to disown me if I brought my K-5 to the 4th of July parade/fair. I brought it anyway and got some great pics, but it would have been nice to be a little more discrete.

I think what swayed me towards the Lumix instead of the Canon S95 is the AF and zoom capability in video mode, which apparently the S95 cannot do, and also the Leica technology being used in the end. I've seen a lot of reviews praising the IQ when shooting RAW, even though the consensus seems to be the jpg engine in the S95 is better.
07-13-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Started using the LX5

There's a lot of features to go thru most here are shot using iA, resizing and framing done via Photoscape

07-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

funny, I use my LX5 in full manual and occasionally in AV mode...I wish it had TAv mode
07-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is a shutter priority mode "S".
08-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Panasonic LX5 gets a new firmware update
+ details via dC Resource, dpreview, P-Blog, Le Monde, Imaging Resource, dpnow

source:1001noisycameras

The last Panasonic news for the day isn't about a new camera, but rather enhancements to an existing one. On September 13th, Panasonic will release firmware version 2.0 for their much-loved DMC-LX5 camera. It incorporates the following changes:
Improved ("extremely fast") autofocus speeds
Adds "active mode" to the Power OIS system, which improves image stabilization when camera shake is severe (movie mode only)
New High ISO noise reduction mode for ISO 1600/3200
Improved auto white balance in low light
Continuous AF with both half and full-shutter shooting
Focus areas can be saved for easy retrieval
Improved color, brightness, and contrast on the LCD

source: dC Resource
08-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Panasonic invites all users of DMC-LX5 to apply the updated firmware. The new firmware will be available worldwide at DIGITAL CAMERA LUMIX | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global, at GMT 5:00 on 13th of September, 2011.

Jason