Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
An Entry Level Point-n-Shoot of the Future ?

I read an article a couple of months back in Australia Digital Photography + Design about a young Australian Student Designer - Cory Sanderson - who is working on a neat sounding camera design, that is simple, yet still strives to instill the 'basics' when it comes to understanding why what you point-and-shoot at will look like it will... It essentially lives in a permanent AvTv type mode (hence the name )

I thought some others might at least find it interesting to see how some people are actually putting pen to paper with their ideas...

AvTv: Is this the camera of the future?
QuoteQuote:
His design for a new kind of camera, the AvTv challenges a few rusted-on conventions of camera design and is a contender in the 2011 Australasian Student Design Awards.
QuoteQuote:
Forget Auto mode, the AvTv would remain in a form of aperture priority and shutter priority all the time. Two sliders would be shown on the touch screen – aperture (Av) and shutter speed (Tv).

Slide the shutter-speed slider up and the aperture slider goes down to compensate. Slide the aperture slider down and the shutter-speed slider goes up. Move them together and the ISO compensates to balance the exposure.

As you increase the aperture value (Av) on the touch-screen the time value (Tv) decreases to balance the exposure.

The user quickly learns the relationship between the three most important variables in photography. Hit a screen button and you’re in manual mode and can slide in some exposure compensation with either slider.

Sanderson has also come up with some novel ideas to extend the camera’s shelf life. The CMOS sensor and processor can be removed from the original aluminium casing and upgraded as required.
Theres some really cool ideas in his design. If you set aside that he isn't trying to build the latest EVIL K-Mount that takes all retro glass AND 645 glass whilst simultaneously being no larger than a matchbox.. , its actually pretty neat I think. Particularly the replaceable sensor design etc. and the way it doesn't just wrap the whole process up in a "point in that direction and press here for instant photographic satisfaction" type scenario.

Anyway - apologies if this has been mentioned before - I just thought it was interesting seeing different approaches to different sides of the market (not the firebreathing chest thumping bleeding edge of Prosumers...). Posted in here cause wasn't sure if this should live in "General" or "Non-Pentax"... please move if inappropriately posted.

07-15-2011, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Ultra-nifty design idea! I hope it survives. I saw no details of the mount -- a C-CS-D-mount system would allow old cine lenses!
07-16-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, the article has quite a few example images and some of his original design sketches/doodles... interesting thoughts went into it.

There is also a great picture showing the changeable sensor package within the chassis... I might look to find a way to post up that pic, as its not on the website but it really is a definitive image as far as part of the coolness of the concept.

I also chuckled, because its not that different in terms of industrial design than what is vaguely suggested with the GXR platform (replaceable sensor...)
07-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I also chuckled, because its not that different in terms of industrial design than what is vaguely suggested with the GXR platform (replaceable sensor...)
That may be the Next Wave of photography, a proprietary answer to digital film. Whomever sets the standard will own the market for awhile. Maybe that is Ricoh's goal with the GXR, eh?

07-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Scanners Dead.. but I was playing with my Sigma seeing what sort of quality it gets with text on macro... not bad for handheld indoor ambient !

Nice image sketches on the interchangeable body concept... Also shows they did a good spread on it.. article continues for another page...

08-14-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks guys

Hi guys,

Im Cory Sanderson the designer of the aforementioned camera.
its really encouraging to hear some fellow camera enthusiasts enjoy some of my ideas.

What the magazine doesn't mention is that the camera was originally designed to be a learning camera for schools and uni's. I hope that the control interface helps the learner to understand that balance between the aperture and the shutter while experimenting with ISO

I believe that most people that buy slr's don't access these functions because there is a real learning barrier people struggle to get past.

I hoped that i would be able to develop an interface that even my grandma could understand

I believe in my design and am working on a video to further illustrate the capabilities of the avtv ... ill be sure to drop a link when its complete

Kind regards,
Cory Sanderson
08-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Cory, Thanks for the post and extra background info. The design (from what I read ) definitely looks like it would offer what you originally set out to do. I also think you are dead right on the reason people don't move past the Auto/Program Modes...

I'm glad to hear that you are pursuing your design - Please do pop in and keep us posted!

Cheers

Adrian