Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Contax lenses on K5

I am new at DSLR, but not Pentax, my fist camera was a Spotmatic. Since I have been a Contax guy (my wife to). But I made the jump to Pentax K5 last week and I love it.
I am considering converting some of my Contax lenses with the Leitax solution. Firstly the 28/2,8 then maybe my 85/2,8.
Does anybody have any experience with converted Contax lenses on a K5?

Love this forum/site.

10-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Enjoy digital!

Your Contax SLR lenses are still excellent, but converting them to Pentax via the (excellent) Leitax mounts requires some confidence if they are not MM. (Not sure about Contax N, if that's what you have... but Canon folks will give you their firstborn for those in any case!)

I've converted a AE 50mm/1.7, and an AE 28mm/2.8, and both were tricky and required an extra spring to "wrap around" the back element to keep the aperture actuator active while adjusting the stops.

The difference from shooting film with these lenses was how the DSLR magnifies the CA a bit, and is more susceptible to flare softening. Not sure why or if it's quantifiable, just "seems" that way in comparison to Pentax's own "DA" for digital lenses and coatings. The 50/1.7 was also a purple-fringe monster at high-contrast situations, but that's partly the DSLR to blame.
10-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning, and welcome to the Forum!

I have converted the same two Contax lenses (MM, 28/2.8 and 85/2.8) and they are perfect, and work extremely well, producing excellent results. Obviously, they are not auto aperture nor autofocus. However, you do get real time focus indication (the little red square and green diamond in the viewfinder), catch in focus, and they work in Aperture Priority (Av), Manual and Bulb modes.

I have a K20 and all is very well. Using a K5, I can only think of how fine the results should be.

Here are some links that may be helpful....
Hope that helps...

Even though I am an engineer, I did not want to butcher such a fine lens. So, I sent them off to Eric who is somewhat of a legend here on the Forum in repairing Pentax film bodies and lenses (he worked for Pentax for many years - now "retired"). I also used the Leitax mounts. The second lens, I started however one of the screws was frozen solid - so off to Eric again.

Last edited by interested_observer; 10-30-2011 at 11:13 AM.
10-30-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Your Contax lenses will function perfectly on your K5 and you can easily convert them to K mount and switch back at your leisure if and when the time comes. I'm lucky because living in China it costs me around $30-40 per lens to convert (all the removed bits are returned to me in a small plastic bag) and takes them less than 30 mins while you wait.

I've converted the 28/2.8 and 85/1.4 so far. The CIF is wonderful with the 85/1.4 (28mm is my landscape lens and doesn't need CIF) !

10-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #5

Original Poster
Wow great respons, thanks.

All my Contax lenses are MM, and the Leitax deskription of the conversion, seams straightforward!

On the used marked here in Denmark, you can find Contax lenses at a reasonable price and I like manual focus.

interested_observer: Thanks for the links.
Frogfish: What is CIF?
10-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pontax Quote
Wow great respons, thanks.

All my Contax lenses are MM, and the Leitax deskription of the conversion, seams straightforward!

On the used marked here in Denmark, you can find Contax lenses at a reasonable price and I like manual focus.

interested_observer: Thanks for the links.
Frogfish: What is CIF?
Catch in Focus.
10-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a few more items...

CIF is Catch in Focus or Trap Focus - Photography Rulez: Focus Trap or Catch In Focus

Leitax will convert the lens for you also. I have no idea if they provide quantity discounts on ordering multiple mounts, as that may be something of interest to inquire about. The screw heads appear to be not Phillips, but JIS - Japanese Industrial Standard. Also, at least one of the screws on the mount is glued in. I read somewhere that touching the head with a soldering iron should help. Leitax is now starting to have some links to converting zoom lenses. I don't know if you have all primes or a variety.

Here in the US, the wide angle Contax lenses, 25, 21 and 18mm are extremely expensive. 28 and 85mm - at least in the f2.8 version are pretty reasonable in price. Also, the faster aperture lenses are also expensive.

10-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

Right now there is an ad for six lenses: 18/4. 35/2,8. 50/1,7. 85/1,4(West Germany) 135/2 and /2,8. With original filters and lens hood. I don't know if they are MM or AE.
All for around US$ 1000.

But I don't have a 1000$
10-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is an extraordinary good price here in the US. Just a quick review of ebay completed sales....
18/4 - $700 to $800
35/2.8 - $320 to $420, although I see that someone paid $1100 for one a few days ago
50/1.7 - $145 to $300
85/1.4 - $600 - $650
135/2 - $1100 to $1255
135/2.8 - $188 to $355
So my calculator adds them up for the low prices to about $3050....

My wife would kill me - although I would like to duck the flying dishes (she is Italian).

10-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info.

Right now there is an ad for six lenses: 18/4. 35/2,8. 50/1,7. 85/1,4(West Germany) 135/2 and /2,8. With original filters and lens hood. I don't know if they are MM or AE.
All for around US$ 1000.

But I don't have a 1000$
Wow that's great - if you could p.m. me a link that would be brilliant ?!
10-31-2011, 12:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
Called the seller today, somebody made him a better offer, but they are still for sale. Anyway I can't afford them since I just acquired the K5.

Although my wife is not the dish trowing type, it would not go well if I bought them.

Link to ad: contax 6 linser + 2 huse, Yashica, Nikon - Linse - GulogGratis.dk

He did not seem to be a guy with great Contax knowledge.
10-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I am new at DSLR, but not Pentax, my fist camera was a Spotmatic. Since I have been a Contax guy (my wife to). But I made the jump to Pentax K5 last week and I love it.
I am considering converting some of my Contax lenses with the Leitax solution. Firstly the 28/2,8 then maybe my 85/2,8.
Does anybody have any experience with converted Contax lenses on a K5?

Love this forum/site.
You better use the Sony NEX for this. Seriously.
12-11-2012, 06:05 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Enjoy digital!

Your Contax SLR lenses are still excellent, but converting them to Pentax via the (excellent) Leitax mounts requires some confidence if they are not MM. (Not sure about Contax N, if that's what you have... but Canon folks will give you their firstborn for those in any case!)

I've converted a AE 50mm/1.7, and an AE 28mm/2.8, and both were tricky and required an extra spring to "wrap around" the back element to keep the aperture actuator active while adjusting the stops.

The difference from shooting film with these lenses was how the DSLR magnifies the CA a bit, and is more susceptible to flare softening. Not sure why or if it's quantifiable, just "seems" that way in comparison to Pentax's own "DA" for digital lenses and coatings. The 50/1.7 was also a purple-fringe monster at high-contrast situations, but that's partly the DSLR to blame.
I'm always late to the party, but I have a Contax NX in near-new condition that I'd like to sell in order to invest in a Pentax K-5 or K-5ii. I haven't researched my options too much at this stage but noticed your remark about Canon users loving the Vario-Sonnar series of lenses (which, sadly, can't be converted to fit the Pentax). Do you have any thoughts about where to post the lenses for sale? I'm hoping to avoid venues like eBay but am willing if they're the best.
12-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thecambrians Quote
I'm always late to the party, but I have a Contax NX in near-new condition that I'd like to sell in order to invest in a Pentax K-5 or K-5ii. I haven't researched my options too much at this stage but noticed your remark about Canon users loving the Vario-Sonnar series of lenses (which, sadly, can't be converted to fit the Pentax). Do you have any thoughts about where to post the lenses for sale? I'm hoping to avoid venues like eBay but am willing if they're the best.
First off, welcome to the forum!

As for your lenses, we do have a place here to list items for sale called the Marketplace. If you choose to list them there, please read the rules of posting first. We do not allow any solicitations for sales outside that area.