Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

For Nex Owners - Specifically 5n

I'm contemplating switching to a 2 x 5n setup for travel and landscape shooting. I currently use a K7, and I'll keep that and maybe pick up a backup for the portrait work I do. I tried the 5n today in a shop and feel pretty confident the focus peaking will work with my four Limiteds and an adapter as a travel camera. As a landscape option, I think it's perfect for the way I shoot except maybe one thing: the auto bracketing doesn't seem to go past 0.7 either way.

So, my question is, does this sound crazy? Am I missing anything?

11-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Have you tried the NEX with the Limiteds mounted?

The thing is, because of the necessary mount-sensor distance of the K-mount lenses, once you stick an adapter on the body will be just as deep as your dSLR...

If you only plan to use DA lenses then I'd have a serious think about why you want the 5N over say a K-r/K-x, which will be very close to the same size, lets you keep AF, and will end up being a fair bit cheaper once you factor in an adapter that can adjust aperture (which you'll need for DA series lenses)...

(sorry I don't know about the bracketing...)
11-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #3

Don't think you can change the auto bracketing, but the same range in HDR mode seems to be quite effective.

On Nick's comment I have a K5, KX and 5N. The 5N with K-mount lenses mounted feels hugely different from the KX in size and weight especially with pancakes like the DA40. Compared to the E-mount lenses, the larger heavier K-mount lens doesn't bother usage and I'm confident of the maximum IQ for the minimum weight but the E mount lenses are nice as they are lighter. I told myself I won't acquire any E mount lenses, but the new ones seem to have excellent sharpness if you follow Christine Tham's thread. I also went shooting one day with my 5N and DA 60-250, which weighs 1.2kg, and monopod. Even with a gigantic lens, it felt a lot lighter than using the K5 and I was happy. Here's a shot.

11-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! My thoughts in red below...

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Have you tried the NEX with the Limiteds mounted?
No, but I have an adapter that I use for the E-P2, so I know what I'm dealing with.

The thing is, because of the necessary mount-sensor distance of the K-mount lenses, once you stick an adapter on the body will be just as deep as your dSLR...
I understand what you're saying, but the body won't get bigger overall. The bulk will still be far less. To clarify, I'm thinking of the bulk in terms of sticking two NEXs without lenses in a bag in the same spot I could stick a K-DSLR

If you only plan to use DA lenses then I'd have a serious think about why you want the 5N over say a K-r/K-x, which will be very close to the same size, lets you keep AF, and will end up being a fair bit cheaper once you factor in an adapter that can adjust aperture (which you'll need for DA series lenses)...

As landscape is my primary focus, I want the 5N for the SENSOR! I don't use AF for landscape shooting (tripod), so that is a non-issue. For travel/street, I like small and light, and even with the extra couple of centimeters for an adapter, it's definitely smaller than my K-7. And as for the adapter, I think I could use the cheap eBay ones and paint mark my f-stops on it with some trial and error. I appreciate all of your points, they are legit concerns...I think I'm good on these so far. Thanks!

(sorry I don't know about the bracketing...)

11-01-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply! I don't think I'd be sticking real large glass on the 5n...my biggest is the Siggy 50-150mm. Besides, I'd still have the K-7 for something like that. I'm really looking at a narrow band of photography applications that I think the Sony would fit...namely, an outstanding sensor in an ultra portable body that I will primarily use in A-priority mode and manual focus for landscape shooting from a tripod and walk around travel/street photography. I don't need the variety of external controls for either, and I primarily shoot in live view when using a tripod.

Since you have both K5 and 5n, can you comment a bit on the IQ between the two? Not worried about high ISO, but wondering if the Sony matches the Pentax for DR and recovering details in shadows, as the K5 is famous for. Thanks again!

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Don't think you can change the auto bracketing, but the same range in HDR mode seems to be quite effective.

On Nick's comment I have a K5, KX and 5N. The 5N with K-mount lenses mounted feels hugely different from the KX in size and weight especially with pancakes like the DA40. Compared to the E-mount lenses, the larger heavier K-mount lens doesn't bother usage and I'm confident of the maximum IQ for the minimum weight but the E mount lenses are nice as they are lighter. I told myself I won't acquire any E mount lenses, but the new ones seem to have excellent sharpness if you follow Christine Tham's thread. I also went shooting one day with my 5N and DA 60-250, which weighs 1.2kg, and monopod. Even with a gigantic lens, it felt a lot lighter than using the K5 and I was happy. Here's a shot.
11-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #6
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a NEX-5 and I'm planning on getting the 5N. I much prefer the NEX to the K-x so I'll be selling my K-x. The NEX is so much smaller and lighter, it also allows me to get compose shots in a way that would be very difficult, if not impossible with the K-x.

I also have a K-7, but I won't be parting with it. Different tools for different jobs.
11-02-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks JHD. @tsammyc - if you get a chance, could you pass on your impressions of the 5n vs K5 in terms of output at low ISOs? Thanks!

11-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote

That is a beautiful shot. Wow. I am stunned.
11-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
Since you have both K5 and 5n, can you comment a bit on the IQ between the two? Not worried about high ISO, but wondering if the Sony matches the Pentax for DR and recovering details in shadows, as the K5 is famous for. Thanks again!
Sorry, I haven't post processed on the 5N as I haven't upgraded my lightroom to 3.5 yet.
11-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #10

Thanks JHD. @tsammyc - if you get a chance, could you pass on your impressions of the 5n vs K5 in terms of output at low ISOs? Thanks!
I'd say that the K5 is still slightly head in dynamic range, especially since it can go to ISO 80. However, the 5N's HDR mode is more reliable.
11-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, I don't own a K-5, nor do I intend to. I have a K-x and a K-7. As for Pentax, I will sell the K-x and keep the K-7 for now.
11-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #12

How about aperture setting with the pentax lens adapter? A lens like the da15mm does not have an external aperture ring nor does the adapter seem to have one. So can you choose aperture with a lens like the da15 on the nex 5n with adapter?
11-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kolleiro Quote
How about aperture setting with the pentax lens adapter? A lens like the da15mm does not have an external aperture ring nor does the adapter seem to have one. So can you choose aperture with a lens like the da15 on the nex 5n with adapter?
Yes, there are some adapters that allow setting the aperture. AFAIK it's just a slide, no actual stops, so repeatability might be an issue.
11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you want to check DR etc. look here. Just totally ignore the overall scores which are a joke unless price and video control are crucial to you. Pentax K-5 vs Sony NEX-5N
11-06-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Sorry, I don't own a K-5, nor do I intend to. I have a K-x and a K-7. As for Pentax, I will sell the K-x and keep the K-7 for now.
Sorry for misunderstanding, I was asking tsammyc about his K-5.