Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji x-pro 1 - sad truth. But IQ is good.

Soundimageplus: FUJI X-PRO 1 - interim assessment

Last edited by ogl; 04-04-2012 at 07:42 PM.
04-04-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds like there's a lot of good and a lot of bad.

Kind of par for the course with Fuji lately.
04-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You need to do better than that. He's kind of joke on a couple of other forums I participate on. You might want to look at these:

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Mirrorless Camera Review

"Highly Recommended
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Verdict
The Fujifilm X-Pro1 is a fantastic camera, in every area it produces the results expected from a premium quality camera. The image quality is stunning, with excellent, and I really mean excellent pixel level detail, with excellent colour reproduction, great dynamic range, excellent high ISO noise results and excellent JPEG output straight from the camera. The lenses are excellent with great handling from the all-metal construction and the bright apertures help render beautiful bokeh. Handling of the camera is very good and although the camera is larger than most other mirrorless cameras, the solid metal construction, premium feel and numerous external controls with the hybrid optical / electronic viewfinder make it well worth the added weight."

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review - Conclusion | PhotographyBLOG

Highly Recommended
"Thankfully the X-Pro1's innovative image sensor and lack of low-pass filter lives up to all the hype and more, delivering truly excellent image quality. Noise is noticeable only by its almost complete absence throughout the ISO range of 100-25,600, while the Dynamic Range function helps to boost contrast and detail. The three lenses are all sharp from the center to the edges (individual reviews coming soon), while the fast maximum apertures make it easy to creatively throw the background out of focus. The X-Pro1 is certainly right up there with the best APS-C sensor cameras on the market, and some full-frame models too."

First Impressions: Using the Fujifilm X-Pro1: Digital Photography Review

Summary
You needn't have read this piece from start to finish to see that I'm very impressed with the X-Pro1. From what I've seen so far it looks like Fujifilm has avoided re-introducing any of the more egregious oddities of the X100. And while we've yet to subject it to our rigorous testing methodology, we've not found flaws of the type that plagued the X100. On balance I think it's safe to say that the X-Pro1 is a camera that gets much more right than it does wrong.

Operation and handling in the field are simply superb. This is a camera that gets out of your way and lets you devote your attention to making pictures. My chief complaints at this stage really revolve around the need for an improved MF implementation and better AF speed with the heavier 60mm f/2.4 lens. Whether either issue can be improved via a firmware upgrade remains to be seen.

The X-Pro1 delivers outstanding images with a JPEG processing engine that produces very pleasing color, excellent detail and a highly effective combination of sharpening and noise reduction. And I must admit that with its limited third-party raw conversion support, I don't feel I've yet to see the best of what this camera can produce. All of us in the dpreview office look forward to putting the camera through its paces in our testing studio to dig a little deeper. Our first impressions are very positive though, and I hope this article will reassure and encourage anyone that has been watching the X-series and waiting for Fujifilm to 'get it right'.

Fuji X-Pro1 Review - Part 2

"A week with the X-Pro1 was not enough. While it drove me mad on numerous occasions, it also thrilled me with its image quality and the possibility of a viable autofocus rangefinder-style camera. At roughly one-third of the price of an equivalent Leica system, the X-Pro1 is amazing value, but still a significant investment. The verdict for now: the X-Pro1 is a quirky gem."

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Review

"Fujifilm X-Pro1 Verdict

Quality: phenomenal! Razor sharp, precise colour capture.

Why you’d buy the Fujifilm X-Pro1: you want full manual control; you need access to high quality lenses.

Why you wouldn’t: maybe you want to wait for the zooms to appear! you want a stabiliser to shoot shake-free video; you want a swinging LCD screen.

A minor gripe: I found it odd that a camera with such high ambitions should stow its card slot under the camera: very tripod-unfriendly.

This camera is a wave-breaker. May the other companies take note!"

Zack Arias on the X Pro 1 (who I think is probably a better photographer than whoever Soundimageplus is):

Blog • Photography By Zack Arias ? ATL ? 404-939-2263 ? studio@zackarias.com

Fujifilm X-Pro1 – Additional thoughts ‹ roel.me

"First and foremost, the image quality from the X-Pro1 is fantastic and at present, I believe it is the best from any APS-C sensor on the market. The JPEG output rivals anything that my Nikon D3 produces and I understand it also beats the Canon 5D Mark II (which is also an excellent camera). Yes, I know these full frame DSLRs have been replaced by the Nikon D4 (B&H – Amazon) and Canon 5D Mark III (B&H – Amazon), however, to have an APS-C sensor camera compete with its bigger full frame brothers is quite a feat.

The Verdict

I guess it is no secret that I am quite pleased with the X-Pro1 (B&H - Amazon) and lenses – especially since I put down $3,500.00 pesos dollars of my own money to purchase one. I keep getting asked if I plan to replace my pro level DSLRs with the X-Pro1 and the answer is “no”. It excels at many things, however, there are times when I need a DSLR for work (birds in flight, quickly moving subjects, extreme temperatures, etc). Remember, use the right tools for the job, especially if you are a working pro.

Having said that, the X-Pro1 will become my main travel system given its lightweight, compactness, “stealthness” (hey mom, is that a word?) and superb image quality. In fact, for an upcoming assignment to Asia, it will be my main camera system – and it all fits very nicely into my ThinkTank Retrospective 5 bag.

Fujifilm have done an excellent job and I applaud them for thinking outside the box. Of course, the X-Pro1 won’t appeal to everyone and its high price tag does make it out of reach for some – but for those who value superb image quality in a compact (and classically styled) package above everything else, you may have just found camera nirvana."
04-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Sounds like there's a lot of good and a lot of bad.

Kind of par for the course with Fuji lately.
I'd say as D700 user this will retire that camera except for a couple of things I use it for. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I get the lenses, but based on what I'm seeing on another forum, from an IQ standpoint it's a better camera. It won't focus as fast, but I don't need it to. I had this and the D800 on pre-order. I cancelled the D800. It's definitely not a DSLR which to my way of thinking is a very good thing. If you are wedded to the DSLR concept then I'd skip it. Too bad Pentax couldn't do something like this. The ISO 6400 out this camera is amazing.

04-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

How spoiled we have become in the modern convenience world. When a camera doesn't have a knob in exactly the right place or color it fails miserably. No doubt this camera will fail for many. However for some people, especially people who shoot medium format film cameras and are accustom to working around a camera that has limitations, may find it a joy to shoot. It's hard to say. But one thing I have noticed in every picture I've seen is I don't see how easy and convenient it was for the photographer to shoot in the end results.

Last edited by tuco; 04-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
04-04-2012, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, it is definitely a camera for a specific audience and those people will be happy with it no matter what auto focus foibles it might have. It does seem like it has a few too many issues for an (almost) 2000 dollar camera.
04-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Well, it is definitely a camera for a specific audience and those people will be happy with it no matter what auto focus foibles it might have. It does seem like it has a few too many issues for an (almost) 2000 dollar camera.
Hey Leica will sell you a camera for $6000 that has no auto focus and it doesn't come with a diopter either. And really isn't very good above ISO 800.

Saying something is or isn't worth X (not pun intendeded) amount is a somewhat subjective judgement. If by next year they haven't sold any X Pro's then maybe I would agree with you. However, I remember a lot of people saying the X100 was overpriced. A year later it's the same price and according to Fuji they sold over 100,000 of them. So is it overpriced? I guess that's where each individual has to make that choice.

04-04-2012, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Agree 100%.

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
How spoiled we have become in the modern convenience world. When a camera doesn't have a knob in exactly the right place or color it fails miserably. No doubt this camera will fail for many. However for some people, especially people who shoot medium format film cameras and are accustom to working around a camera that has limitations, may find it a joy to shoot. It's hard to say. But one thing I have noticed in every picture I've seen is I don't see how easy and convenient it was for the photographer to shoot in the end results.
04-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Fuji lenses are very nicely priced, and cheaper than the DA Limiteds at the moment. I think I may go with the Fuji X-Pro2 in a few years.
04-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Hey Leica will sell you a camera for $6000 that has no auto focus and it doesn't come with a diopter either. And really isn't very good above ISO 800.

Saying something is or isn't worth X (not pun intendeded) amount is a somewhat subjective judgement. If by next year they haven't sold any X Pro's then maybe I would agree with you. However, I remember a lot of people saying the X100 was overpriced. A year later it's the same price and according to Fuji they sold over 100,000 of them. So is it overpriced? I guess that's where each individual has to make that choice.
I think you and I are on the same page. I am quite happy with my K5s, but I can understand people wanting something smaller and retro looking. As good as the K5 was, I waited till price was down to 1100 before purchasing, so early adopter/high roller I am not.

Clearly folks who are looking for D4 type shooting (high fps, fast/silent auto focus, don't care about the size of the camera) will not be buying the Fuji, even though comparitively its price is a bargain.
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Fuji is running at the cusp of the technological advancements insofar as hybrid DSLR developments go and so there's no doubts that its going to be a bumpy road for them based on that. However, I think the IQ comments from FF owners/reviewers are very significant as these likely give us a sense of direction as to where things are headed.

Having said that, I hope Pentax looks at similar technology in the near future for their own mount. I think that would be a great performance area to enter into.
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I think Fuji is running at the cusp of the technological advancements insofar as hybrid DSLR developments go and so there's no doubts that its going to be a bumpy road for them based on that. However, I think the IQ comments from FF owners/reviewers are very significant as these likely give us a sense of direction as to where things are headed.

Having said that, I hope Pentax looks at similar technology in the near future for their own mount. I think that would be a great performance area to enter into.
But to me, John, the biggest feature of the Fuji is just a really good jpeg engine. I think if Pentax had a similar jpeg engine on the K5, similar results would be obtainable.

Hybrid viewfinder isn't that big a deal to me, but then again I feel like as good as EVFs are, they still aren't as good as a high quality optical viewfinder.
04-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think Fuji has a good idea of who their market is. It's certainly not the biggest market, I'll grant that.

I haven't had a chance to use the camera yet because the body showed up yesterday and Amazon shipped the lenses a day later so they will be here tomorrow. There is another forum I participate on that a member posted some night shots at ISO 6400. They were pretty amazing. Or as he said: "This camera sees in the dark." I doubt I'll be using it that way though.

Anyway, this sensor looks to be truly amazing. Even Steve Huff, who undoubtedlywill pan the camera, admits the IQ phenominal. I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone but on the other hand to call it a failure or whatever is missing the truth. The camera isn't for everyone. They will sell a lot of them (supposedly they sold over 100,000 X100's). The people that like the camera will probably love it warts and all.

I think Tuco is right. It's a camera for people who really love the photography process. I don't know if that makes sense or not. I think it would a great (if expensive) camera for someone to learn photography on because you have to think about what you are doing. That's part of the fun for me. For others I can see how that would be really frustrating. There isn't one right answer.

I just know after using the X100 for awhile I really don't want to carry around a bunch of heavy camera gear anymore. The other thing I'm excited about is the quality of the JPEG output. Less time in front of the computer (unless I'm at work like right now) is always a good thing.
04-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I should have one in my hands later this week, so I'll see how much I agree with you, Stanley.
04-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I should have one in my hands later this week, so I'll see how much I agree with you, Stanley.
Well I have the body just sitting there in a box from Amazon waiting for the lenses................. It's a little frustrating. I even have the diopter, lens protection filters, ect.

For some reason Amazon shipped me the body overnight and the lenses USPS. I'm an Amazon Prime customer and when I asked them they really weren't sure how that happened. Oh well.... The 18 and 35 should be here tomorrow and the 60 who knows when.

I have some some really incredible shots with the 35. Very nice bokeh.