Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 04:18 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh GRD (any flavour): come on down!

I don't see much love for the absolutely wonderful GRD. Most use it for street, and its perfect for that...

Most of the time, though, I use my GRD3 for whatever seems good. Love it.

macro

'scapey stuff

early morning

long exposure

05-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Crikey... am I the only GRD user amongst Pentaxians?
05-07-2012, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

Clearly one of the most underrated cameras and probably the best compact on the market. The level of customizability (is that even a word?) gives any pro-level DSLR a run for its money (even the otherwise excellent K-5). Built quality is amazing. Wonderful lens, too. I have the GRDIII and consider it THE compact backup for Pentax users.
05-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
Clearly one of the most underrated cameras and probably the best compact on the market. The level of customizability (is that even a word?) gives any pro-level DSLR a run for its money (even the otherwise excellent K-5). Built quality is amazing. Wonderful lens, too. I have the GRDIII and consider it THE compact backup for Pentax users.
Thanks for commenting. I too regard it as being underrated. Of all my small sensor compacts, its one I would never consider selling (unless I replaced it with a 4, but I understand they have some issues... so maybe not). I managed to break the little latch that secures the battery inside its cover, but a few layers of tape and a bit of persistence sees it start up after every recharge. I just love it. You got any shots you want to show?

05-08-2012, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Actually, I completely agree. Even with large(r) sensor cameras becoming more compact by the day, I still couldn't part with my GRDIII as it's truly pocketable and delivers incredible IQ even at higher ISO. The black/white is particularly appealing I think. There's something about the way Ricoh process b/w. And I can't stress enough the advantage of being able to customize literally pretty much any button or dial on this camera. In terms of operation, the GRD blows pretty much any camera out of the water. Again, I'm really surprised there aren't more users in the Pentax community. Having used this for quite a while now, I think the Ricoh-Pentax merger makes a lot of sense now as the two brands have a lot in common in terms of design philosophy. Below are some random examples. I have a whole lot of street shots and shots of people but I can't really post those. Sorry about the orientation in #1 and #4 btw. Never really understood why jpeg's always end up in horizontal orientation when posted online...??

Btw, may I ask what issues with the GRDIV you are referring to? Haven't really been following that one although I would consider upgrading at some point for the benefit of quicker AF, which I guess is pretty much the GRDIII's only relative weakness (although perfectly fine).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR DIGITAL 3  Photo 
05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amaurosis Quote
Actually, I completely agree. Even with large(r) sensor cameras becoming more compact by the day, I still couldn't part with my GRDIII as it's truly pocketable and delivers incredible IQ even at higher ISO. The black/white is particularly appealing I think. There's something about the way Ricoh process b/w. And I can't stress enough the advantage of being able to customize literally pretty much any button or dial on this camera. In terms of operation, the GRD blows pretty much any camera out of the water. Again, I'm really surprised there aren't more users in the Pentax community. Having used this for quite a while now, I think the Ricoh-Pentax merger makes a lot of sense now as the two brands have a lot in common in terms of design philosophy. Below are some random examples. I have a whole lot of street shots and shots of people but I can't really post those. Sorry about the orientation in #1 and #4 btw. Never really understood why jpeg's always end up in horizontal orientation when posted online...??

Btw, may I ask what issues with the GRDIV you are referring to? Haven't really been following that one although I would consider upgrading at some point for the benefit of quicker AF, which I guess is pretty much the GRDIII's only relative weakness (although perfectly fine).
Thanks for posting, its good to see what others are doing with theirs. Street photography usually defeats me, especially with a wide lens when you need to get up close and personal.

To be honest I do not remember what the issues were with the IV. They were minor, IIRC. Those in seriouscompacts.com who own them seem to love them, but they dont seem to generate the same enthusiasm as the III. I was considering getting one because of the image stabilisation but I have found, much to my surprise, that I dont have very many issues with OOF shots. I expected that I would, because I find it difficult to keep my hands steady... So the drive to upgrade evaporated pretty much right away.

Slow AF is a bit of a pest but I've been using snap focus a lot so its not that much of an issue. I even managed to snap a gull in flight, using snap set to infinity. Its not a fabulous shot, would have been better with a longer lens, but I was gobsmacked that this little camera, with no IS/SR, could do this

06-26-2012, 08:10 AM - 2 Likes   #7
JPT
Pentaxian

Some really nice pictures here so far. Looks like the GRD III is a great model. I'm also a big fan of the GRD. I've had the first model and bought it on the first day of release and got the third last one in the shop. It's the perfect travel camera. It seems to capture the atmosphere of places. Here are some of it's characteristics.

Small sensor - You have to keep the ISO low for clean pictures and the fast lens helps you do that. Even then the dynamic range is limited by modern standards. But when you learn how to use it, even the limitations can produce interesting results. I like the blown highlights in this picture, for example.

Enormous depth of field - Means you don't have to worry about focus too much and the whole scene will be captured in natural-looking way. Also, for this kind of shot, such a small camera doesn't bother people. They just get on with what they are doing.

Great bokeh - Bokeh is only really noticeable when you're very close to your subject but it's very smooth. I think there are seven aperture blades.

Very low barrel distortion - Makes it very good for architectural shots and the corners don't lose definition because of distortion correction.

Design - The best thing about it is the design, though. It's a pleasure to use and even just to hold. After about seven years of use, I sometimes wish I had the improved sensor, screen and electronics of the newer models, but I honestly can't think of anything I'd change about the physical design. One last picture.

Last edited by JPT; 06-26-2012 at 08:31 AM.
06-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice demo of the capabilities of the GRD. I haven't been out with mine, lately, but am heading to Sydney this morning and will take it, rather than any of the big cameras. I prefer unobtrusive on city streets and railways.
06-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some nice images here. Unfortunately the Ricoh line has not been available in Canada, though i think that is changing. I always like the GRD particularly for it's b/w (I think there are lot of fans over at RFF for this reason)
06-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Some nice images here. Unfortunately the Ricoh line has not been available in Canada, though i think that is changing. I always like the GRD particularly for it's b/w (I think there are lot of fans over at RFF for this reason)
Its worth having for any reason at all, eddie
06-27-2012, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Reposted direct from seriouscompacts.. could not be fussed retyping everything

I was set to have morning tea and lunch in the Sydney CBD with a couple of friends (we only catch up annually if that), it was a long train trip for me, 3 hours, so at least part of the time was spent in taking pictures Besides, I nearly ran my phone battery flat listening to "Power of One".

Anyway, the Ricoh served well as always, though there were a lot of duds from the moving train.

Down past Gosford (I was too busy with my audiobook before that) and rumbling alongside Brisbane Waters (which have nothing to do with the capital of Queensland)

Crossing the Hawkesbury River (part of the larger Brisbane Waters, really)

I was glad I changed trains at Gosford instead of waiting until later

Some time later, arrived at Town Hall Station, which is named for this building, but which is underneath the Queen Victoria Building, where I was meeting my friends.

I was an hour early (deliberately, wanted to do some photography) so wandered about the QVB for a while before settling down in a coffee shop to wait.

One of the two clocks suspended from the roof

And the other

Lots of floors

And a gorgeous stained glass window

I did try for some people shots on the street but they were mostly duds, so not posting...

Then too much talking and catching up and walking to a new location for lunch... so all I have is after lunch

An empty wine glass

07-10-2012, 01:05 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tom being contented on his new cat tree platform.

10-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is one from mine. Sadly I sold it. Gonna get another one someday. It's handling is superb.

Ok, one more

Last edited by RyanW; 04-20-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: relocated photos
10-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice, Ryan. If I did not have the 3 already, i would definitely get the 4 with image stabilisation. And I love how flexible these cameras are!!
10-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
JPT
Pentaxian

Ryan - Nice shots. I really like the cool tones of the second one.

Kyteflyer - The shots of the QVB interior are nice too. It's a very elegant building. I love the GRD for architectural interiors.