Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

I just want a good camera bag.

I´ve just bought a new Nikon D3200 Digital camera, its pretty sweet.

Can anyone recommend me a stylish and sturdy bag. Maybe something under £100 ?

Any help appreciated!

04-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a dedicated Pentax Camera and Field Accessories forum you can search and there is a recent thread The perfect camera bag and a review section of some bags and backpacks here. Good luck as the choices are almost limitless.
04-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on what you want. Something to carry all the lenses you might have, or a small go bag, etc.

I'm a fan of Domke bags. Made to last and made in the U.S. To some that's a plus and others not. I have the F-5XB in the ruggedwear canvas. It's small and can carry a 5d3 with 24-105 and one prime. If I leave the zoom at home, I can get a body and two or three primes. It wears on your shoulder or cross body.

This model is not the one to get if you have 3 zooms and some primes and filters, spare batteries, etc that you plan to take with you. Domke makes bags that will accomodate that stuff as well.

Do some looking around and don't be quick to save a buck. Look for quality and what meets your needs. I also have one of the free with the dslr kit special offer bags. I've used it about 1/100th as much as my Domke. The Domke looks like new, the free bag is coming apart at the seam, the zipper is on it's last leg.

Daacon is correct, lots of choices. Some folks are on a camera bag treadmill, always in search of the elusive perfect bag. I don't see the sense in that. No bag is perfect for everything.
04-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
No bag is perfect for everything.
Amen to that. I'm down to 4-5 bags that I use regularly. Each has it's own specific purpose.

04-25-2013, 09:36 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Bags only come in two sizes. Too big, and too small.
04-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #6

Im looking for a weatherproof bag ( not cover ) that i can stuff in my 65L hiking pack.
A bag that can hold : 3 filters / adapter rings. 55-300, K5, 50mm F1.7/F2. 18-135. 3 batteries + 1 charger. aaaaah i feel like its impossible!!!!!
04-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Pedri Quote

Any help appreciated!
Is this Nikon D3200 in addition to the Cannon EOS 650D that in your welcome post you said you just bought?

04-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I too recommend Domke bags.
They're top quality and easy to work from.
They make a size for every application.

Domke Camera Bags

Chris
04-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Domke x 4

I have a 40 year old collection of camera bags, backpack, two hip bags, including about 20 Tarmac, Lowepro, Domke, and others. In the last few years I have ONLY chosen the Domkes only.

I have three Domke bags, F2, F6, and F3X. I choose the bag based on the equipment I need. I can take up to two DSLRs with L plates attached, six lenses (depending on size), 12 filters, lightmeter, cleaning kit, green "the pod" with qr receiver attached, and small books with a kindle in the back pocket. They are the most comfortable to carry by a large margin. Like any bag greater weight weighs you down. They are very rugged. They have a short handle to carry them by when not worn over your shoulder.

They are waterproof to a large extent. The main flap covers the main pocket with extra material overlapping the sides. The fabric is a very thick cotton canvas that repels water. It might start to saturate the fabric if out in a heavy downpour for more than an hour.

Counter intuitively, the regular canvas bags are heavier duty than the "rugged wear" ones.
04-29-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rampage2k5 Quote
Im looking for a weatherproof bag ( not cover ) that i can stuff in my 65L hiking pack
There are only a very few soft sided weatherproof bags out there, ones which do not need covers. Basically that would limit ones selection to the LowePro DZ's. Literally anything else is simply weather resistant.
05-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Pedri Quote

Any help appreciated!
I have to admit that in over 40 years of taking photographs I have only owned three camera bags. The only name brand is a Lowepro Mini Trekker. One is a one camera rig that has the name Sun Valley on it. I think I got it at one of Marts some 40 or so years ago. It is still holding my Pentax Spotmatic II and some lenses.

The other has a leather tag sewn on the front that say "LTD" I don't even remember where or when I got it. That bag has thousands of miles on it. Probably a local camera store. When I got it I was able to put 2 Ricoh XRM's (Loved those cameras. Wore them out), a Pentax A* 3OOmm F4.0, a Tamron 70 - 210 F3.5 constant aperture, a Pentax 28 - 80 mm f3.5 - 4.5,(mounted on one camera) a Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro lens with matching extension tube, other extension tubes, and a Tamron 1.4x AF Teleconverter.. Each pocket on the side held 6 rolls of film and the front picket and top netted compartment held various nicknacks, filter wrench film leader tab recovery tool etc. This little bag has stood me well for over 25 years.
05-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Is this Nikon D3200 in addition to the Cannon EOS 650D that in your welcome post you said you just bought?
Next he'll buy a Sony and started looking for a camera bag!!

I have a Domke F-6 Rugged wear, you can drop in a gripped body, 3 lenses, a flash and some additional stuff.

I love my Domke
05-05-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I agree that there is a bag for each specific situation and one should have a few so they can choose for the particular outing.
I regularly select from the following:

Lowepro Slingshot 200AW - gets most use for my usual landscape rig and gear stays dry in fog/rain with the waterproof cover.
Lowepro Slingshot 300AW - larger version of same when carrying 70-200 and 300 teles
Lowepro Belt system with 4 cases - i may use just a single tele case on the belt to supplement my small slingshot bag, OR load all four cases with lenses, suicide-bomber style.
Humvee Photo Vest - Most convenient, LEAST fashionable. I can carry 6 primes in the pockets plus hat, gloves, headlamp, filters, phone, car keys, etc...
Pelican-style hard case(SMALL) - my entire landscape rig goes in here for times when it is raining or other gear will be piled on mine.
Pelican-style hard case(LARGE) - hold all my regular lenses plus, 70-200 tele, flash, batt charger. Great to padlock to a pillar at the event and use as a home base.
2 small shouder bags - for the kid's birthday parties or beach outing with camera plus one or two lenses max.
small fannypack-style single camera pouch - I rarely use this but have it when i cant keep the camera around my neck and need both hands free.