Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax selects new digital agency partner to increase brand awareness

News update from the official Pentax website:

DENVER, CO (September 17, 2010) PENTAX Imaging Company announced today that it has retained The1stMovement (T1M) as Digital Agency of Record (DAOR). The agency, recognized for its award winning digital campaigns, will furnish strategy, creative, media planning and buying, as well as production services across various online and offline platforms.

“The1stMovement’s breadth of agency services and innovations in digital media are well-aligned with PENTAX’s growth and direction,” said Ned Bunnell, President, PENTAX Imaging Company. “Digital marketing plays a vital role in our overall marketing and advertising strategy. The1stMovement is right-sized and perfectly situated to help us reach our goals.”

“T1M is thrilled to have been awarded agency responsibilities for PENTAX Imaging Company,” said Ann Van Orsdel, President of The1stMovement. “We look forward to applying the most innovative digital solutions to support the newest product lines. As an agency partner, it’s our job to bring out the best of the brand and we couldn’t have found a better fit than PENTAX.”

Among the reasons for selecting T1M as AOR, PENTAX sited T1M’s ability to unite outstanding creative with digital technology, along with its proven track record of success. Recently, the agency earned a variety of prestigious awards, including the Webby Award, Stevie Awards, ADDY Award, Horizon Interactive Award, Communications Arts Award and many more. Further, the agency was named by the Los Angeles Business Journal as “2010 Best Places to Work,” and the Denver Business Journal as a “Top Advertising Agency.” Another milestone was reached recently, when T1M earned multiple ranks within the 2010 Inc. 500|5000 list of America’s fastest growing companies early in its fourth year.

About PENTAX Imaging Company
PENTAX Imaging Company is an innovative leader in the production of a variety of digital cameras including weather resistant digital SLRs and stylish, compact, waterproof cameras, as well as lenses, flash units, binoculars, scopes and eyepieces. For over 90 years, PENTAX has developed durable, reliable products that meet the needs of consumers and businesses. With headquarters in Golden, Colorado, PENTAX Imaging Company is a division of PENTAX of America, Inc.

About The1stMovement
A full-service digital agency with offices in Pasadena, CA and Denver, CO, The1stMovement (T1M) uses emerging technology to push the boundaries of digital media. Founded in 2006, T1M has since gained recognition for its accomplishments within a wide range of well-established brands including Adobe, AT&T, Cisco, Comcast Entertainment Group, Dex One and Xcel Energy. The firm thrives on its ongoing pursuit of innovation, taking clients on an interactive journey where they engage, learn, and play. For more information, visit the1stmovement.com.

###

The1stMovement Media Contact
Gretchen Kihm Stegall
co/Trifecta Marketing Resources, LLC
o 847.681.0506 | c 847.922.5931 | Gretchen@trifectaresources.com

More...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-17-2010, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax...marketing? Holy Cow! The devil better get his winter coat.
09-17-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm glad for this.
A legacy brand name should keep its legacy marketing strategy.
09-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

]... pursuit of innovation, taking clients on an interactive journey ...

I like the description of where this company might be able to bring Pentax into.
New trends for a new venture?

JP

09-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As long as Pentax stays true to quality products at a inexpensive price, I'm all for it.
09-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would say that Pentax been doing a good job on the actual products. K-x was a success, K-r looks good and K-5 seems like a solid product for the pro market. Plus, they have a legacy of making good lenses and long-lasting bodies.

As long as they invest more on marketing to make new people more aware and keep the brand image of quality and cost/benefit, they will be good. The professional market just cares about the size of specs lists anyway... Pentax should keep exploring the entry-level market, like they did with the ist Ds and K-x, and like Canon did with the Rebels. It's a big potential market, and Nikon and Sony offerings are disappointing, not mention I believe Pentax has an upper hand in quality and features at this segment.
09-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #7

Does the complete absence of any personal brand advocacy feature from this agency strike anyone as counter to the "Be Interesting" approach? It will be very interesting to see if this agency can get the brand in more retailers which seems to be something that is wanted by both Pentax and by end users. It seems funny that the guy in the middle, the retailer, seems to not know this. In the end, if Pentax develops a greater brand foundation that will allow them to continue and grow that will be what matters.

09-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

finally some people took their heads out of their butts! Pentax needs to rise it's brand awareness and by quite a margin... as of now it's only folks with them already who are aware of how good the glass and package can be with Pentax. Average Joe Doe walks into big camera store and walks out with CaNion or what is even more insulting, with Sony.... I hope they will make a big fuzz and they'll finally get up there where they belong....
09-20-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

My only gripe, aside from the dismal 'release videos' we've all mocked, is the lack of WOW factor on the www.pentaximaging.com. The site is nice, I give it that. Navigation is easy but everything seems dumbed down and almost too simple, somewhat boring. There, I said it... Pentax' North America marketing is boring.

Sony and Olympus display in picture what the camera can do aside from text which commands interest. Nikon somewhat, Canon, well it's blah but I'm guessing the same sells itselfl. Show people what the camera can do, make it exciting to want to buy, get customers excited about it.

Break down the site into 3 categories on a splash page. Your P&S, the K-r surrounded by funky graphics, color range, appeal to that niche market PENTAX is so going after. Then show the K-5 covered in mud like the W90, thawing from a snow bank, a spread of 7 photos showing the new FPS. Give me a reason to click it. Displaying 17 cameras and color choices all on one page is kinda blah.

Anyway, that's my bit for the day.

PS, love the new logo Adam!
09-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Maybe it's too late now

but shouldn't that be The*1stMovement

but maybe it's not too late
09-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They got a huge task ahead of them the North American market only knows Canon, Nikon and Sony but on the other hand it's good to know that Pentax recognizes the image issue here is not where it should be at starting with the Kx and now with newer products to compete on more equal grounds they should grab some market share in each segment. I wonder how much market share Pentax expects T1M to grab? It'll be interesting to see what type of campaign they come up with, advertising ain't cheap when it comes to brand recognition.
09-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
My only gripe, aside from the dismal 'release videos' we've all mocked, is the lack of WOW factor on the www.pentaximaging.com. The site is nice, I give it that. Navigation is easy but everything seems dumbed down and almost too simple, somewhat boring. There, I said it... Pentax' North America marketing is boring.

Sony and Olympus display in picture what the camera can do aside from text which commands interest. Nikon somewhat, Canon, well it's blah but I'm guessing the same sells itselfl. Show people what the camera can do, make it exciting to want to buy, get customers excited about it.

Break down the site into 3 categories on a splash page. Your P&S, the K-r surrounded by funky graphics, color range, appeal to that niche market PENTAX is so going after. Then show the K-5 covered in mud like the W90, thawing from a snow bank, a spread of 7 photos showing the new FPS. Give me a reason to click it. Displaying 17 cameras and color choices all on one page is kinda blah.

Anyway, that's my bit for the day.

PS, love the new logo Adam!
I have to agree that the website needs some serious work. The screen with all the colour choices could be replace with one image that flips through colours or morphs. There are too many items there when the colours should just be a pull down menu when purchasing.
02-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hmm I wonder what happened to this partnership... are they still with Pentax after the Ricoh buyout?
03-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
Forum Member

As a current medium format Pentax owner who needs to sell his existing gear and would like to replace it with lighter, smaller gear (due to medical reasons) I am totally frustrated by two things - that Pentax Marketing/Partnerships really needs to focus on.

1 - No one, anywhere (except the big NYC dealers) carries Pentax cameras. I've been totally unable to go and look and and handle the cameras!
2 - Pentax keeps coming out with too many cameras. They are so similar in name that it takes hours (yes, HOURS) of research on line to even figure out what the differences are.

I asked my local camera shop why they no longer carry Pentax - they said service really went downhill after they were bought - no local reps that they could get hold of. They spoke highly of the cameras and lenses, but without adequate service, they cut the ties.

Rich M
03-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uswrdm02 Quote
As a current medium format Pentax owner who needs to sell his existing gear and would like to replace it with lighter, smaller gear (due to medical reasons) I am totally frustrated by two things - that Pentax Marketing/Partnerships really needs to focus on.

1 - No one, anywhere (except the big NYC dealers) carries Pentax cameras. I've been totally unable to go and look and and handle the cameras!
2 - Pentax keeps coming out with too many cameras. They are so similar in name that it takes hours (yes, HOURS) of research on line to even figure out what the differences are.

I asked my local camera shop why they no longer carry Pentax - they said service really went downhill after they were bought - no local reps that they could get hold of. They spoke highly of the cameras and lenses, but without adequate service, they cut the ties.

Rich M
I'll try to help - but, really?

Uhm, we all agree that Hoya Pentax USA shifted to a big box distribution channel and dismantled thier dealer rep system and network.

But too many cameras? They have five. Q (not yet a year old), K-01 (not yet a month old), K-r (well actually they don't have that one since it was disccontinued), K-5 and 645d. Including compacts and the Silver K-5 there are only 12 choixces.

Here's their USA internet website camera selection guide - PentaxUSA. It shouldn't take you "hours, yes HOURS" to research all twelve.