01-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Oh... Adorama...

So, I bought a used M 28 F2.8 off of Adorama

It was listed with a Quality rating of D

D meaning Demo

here is what they say

D) Demo (Like New)
Like New with little or no signs of use.

Well it certainly is not like new.

First off, this (aperture lever?) when arrived was bent

it was where the red outline was, it is now looking normal after a tough mounting onto my camera

second, the aperture blades are sticky and oily

when pressing the DOF preview switch on my super program the blades lag unlike my M 50 1.4. More oil is visible in person.

I know it was used, but I paid extra for this "like new quality", and I feel a like i got shafted on the purchase. I thought when I ordered a used product from a reputable dealer with a set of guidelines for different levels of quality, i was safe, but I guess not. I ordered my M 50 1.4 from them at E+ quality, one step below D quality, and my M 50 is better in all quality, cosmetic, and mechanical.

I don't want this to seem like a topic for a rant, but yeah. Would it be easy for my to clean these blades myself, is it worthless to send it to get fixed because it would cost the same as the lens? Or should I tell Adorama to take it back (I don't know if they will considering its used)

01-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They will take it back, definitely not as described. I purchased a used DS body from them that ended up exhibiting some problems and had no problem with returning it to them a few years back.
01-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it back! They will refund and also pay the return shipping.

Steve
01-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Good to hear, I just repackaged it and printed out my order form to stick in the box.
Thanks.

01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have grown to respect Adorama as far as a new product seller with a wide variety of items, but they are no KEH when it comes to accurately rating the condition of their used products. I've bought from them before and found myself underwhelmed when my "demo" or "excellent" grade gear arrived. Nope, it wasn't even close.

I have never attempted to return a used item that I was unhappy with, but I agree with the others on this thread that they would probably do the right thing and take it back. Like I said, I think Adorama is okay for most everything else.

But if you want good used lenses and stuff, go with KEH ... that is, if you can put up with their deathly slow web site!
01-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I don't know where anyone figured an M 28 was a 'demo' anyway. 'Demo' means, 'New stock opened only in the shop,' I'd be inclined to suspect an outright typo on that one.
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for buying from Adorama. I hope you referred to PF in your purchase as the site has a relationship with Adorama.

PM Helen Oster, Adorama Ambassador to PF and a Senior Member. She will help you resolve this issue.

01-06-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Thank you for buying from Adorama. I hope you referred to PF in your purchase as the site has a relationship with Adorama.

PM Helen Oster, Adorama Ambassador to PF and a Senior Member. She will help you resolve this issue.
Hey, they always do make stuff right. We like them.
01-06-2010, 08:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I don't know where anyone figured an M 28 was a 'demo' anyway. 'Demo' means, 'New stock opened only in the shop,' I'd be inclined to suspect an outright typo on that one.
Haha, yeah I was thinking an old M series lens was probably graded by a new employee who thought it was a D...on a grade school rating scale (i.e. a-b-c-D)
01-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

Heh, I just emailed her after a quick scan to see if she was already in the thread - I missed your post though ...

For the OP, my prediction is that Adorama will make it right and you will be satisfied (I've seen it happen before ).
01-06-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't worry, this issue should be satisfactorily settled for you - must have been a misprint or mispackage. Let's hear from you the outcome of this transaction.
01-06-2010, 10:00 PM   #12

Original Poster
Yep I put a note in the box explaining the issues with the lens, and will be sending it back tomorrow, will let you guys know how it goes once i get word from them.
01-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Uhm, RML, I like them, too. Helen helped me extensively with my K10D in 2007. Was I unclear in my suggestion?

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hey, they always do make stuff right. We like them.
01-06-2010, 10:55 PM   #14

Original Poster
I've got nothing against Adorama, I have been very happy with them so far with my purchases.
01-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Moving to Everything Else as the lens is incidental to the thread.