Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 07:12 AM   #1

Help with older manual focus lenses

I have a older Tamron 70-210 adaptall lens from an SLR. I purhcased the adaptall for Pentax so I could use this lens with my new K-x but cannot figure out the setting on the camera to allow me to set the aperature rating. The camera will not auto detect the aperature setting. One of the guys at the local photography store said that the lens will work if you change a setting within the camera to allow for manual setting of the aperature. After looking through the manual and looking elsewhere online, I can't find the change.

Help please?

Last edited by newtothis; 08-01-2010 at 07:18 AM.
08-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sticky at the top of this section.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

The setting is under (C)ustom menu 4 22. Using Aperture Ring. It has to be set to 2.

Focus with the Aperture wide open then stop down to the aperture you want, the viewfinder will get darker as you stop down. Then hit the AV+- button to get the exposure.
08-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by newtothis Quote
I have a older Tamron 70-210 adaptall lens from an SLR. I purhcased the adaptall for Pentax so I could use this lens with my new K-x but cannot figure out the setting on the camera to allow me to set the aperature rating. The camera will not auto detect the aperature setting. One of the guys at the local photography store said that the lens will work if you change a setting within the camera to allow for manual setting of the aperature. After looking through the manual and looking elsewhere online, I can't find the change.

Help please?
Here's an article that I've written explaining the entire process: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-manual...ic-lenses.html

In a nutshell:
-enable the custom function
-set the camera mode to m
-press the green button
-focus
-shoot

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both very much. I appreciate the help.

08-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's an article that I've written explaining the entire process: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-manual...ic-lenses.html

In a nutshell:
-enable the custom function
-set the camera mode to m
-press the green button
-focus
-shoot
Except on the K-x you don't have to use the green button. You can use the AV+- button and set the green button to do something else.
08-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Except on the K-x you don't have to use the green button. You can use the AV+- button and set the green button to do something else.
Thank you for beating me to it.