Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2010, 10:41 AM   #1
Inactive Account

software upgrade

I have a k100d software 1.00
i have been told a new upgrade version is avaiable is this an easy operation to undertake my self i have a computer system but bit novice ??????
kind regards jack

09-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #2

See this page:
Software Downloads : Support & Service : PENTAX

In general you should:
- prepare a formatted SD card
- download the compressed update file and extract it
- copy the fwdc156b.bin file into the card using a card reader or by connecting the camera to the computer
- turn off the camera and make sure its batteries are full
- put the card into the camera
- turn on the camera while pressing the MENU button. select "yes" when asked to confirm the update
- wait patiently until the process is finished (DO NOT INTERRUPT IT / TURN OFF THE CAMERA)

That's it...
09-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurosun Quote
I have a k100d software 1.00
i have been told a new upgrade version is avaiable is this an easy operation to undertake my self i have a computer system but bit novice ??????
kind regards jack
Do you mean the firmware that is in the camera itself, or the post-processing software that you use on your PC or Mac?

If its the firmware you're referring to, its easy. The instructions are on the Pentax website at http://www.pentaximaging.com if you're in the US. It is important to follow the instructions carefully. Its not difficult, but there are a few mistakes you can make along the way.

First, download the update file. This is a self-extracting zip file, with a filetype of .exe. Save the file on your PC and execute it. This will extract two files: the instructions and a file with a filetype of .bin. This (.bin) is the file that gets copied to your camera.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FULLY CHARGED BATTERIES IN THE CAMERA. If the batteries die while you are doing the upgrade, you may find yourself with a very expensive paperweight.

Since you have version 1.00 on the K100D, you must use an SD card no bigger than 2GB. The upgrade will allow you to use SDHC cards up to 32GB. I think the instructions say it must have 8MB free space, but most people use a freshly formatted card.

If you have a memory card reader on your PC, you can use that to copy the file. Otherwise, attach the camera to the PC using the USB cable.

Copy the .bin file into the root of the memory card. Do not put it in the DCIM folder, or any other folder. This is a common newbie mistake. The upside of this mistake is that it won't harm your camera. The upgrade just won't work.

Do not copy the .exe file that you originally downloaded. You're through with that file.

Turn the camera off. You can disconnect the USB cable, if you like. If you used a memory card reader/writer on you PC, put the memory card in the camera.

Turn the camera on, while simulataneously holding down the Menu button. The LCD on the back should say "Upgrading...". This process only takes a few minutes. This indicates that the upgrade has begun. This is where the danger of the battery dying or you foolishly turning the camera off comes in.

I believe it will say "Upgrade complete" or something like that. Turn the camera off. Put a different memory card into the camera. Turn the camera on while holding the Menu button. The LCD will display the new firmware version for a few seconds, before displaying the normal information.

BTW, it is important to be sure you download the right firmware. The firmware for the K100D and the K100D Super are different, even though the cameras are nearly identical. The Super already has SDHC capability, as well as SDM lens support. Your camera is smart enough to know the difference. If it sees the wrong firmware on the memory card, it won't try to upgrade.

One other caveat about memory card. This doesn't really have to do with the upgrade. If you have a card reader on your PC, and it is a few years old, it may not be able to handle SDHC cards. Some older readers are limited to SD cards, of 2GB or less. So, if you do the upgrade and try to use a 4GB card, you may find that it works fine in the camera, but your PC reader won't read it. In that case, either get a new reader, or use the USB cable.

Its easy. Good luck.
09-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

Hey guys, I didn't want to interrupt you but neither I want to start a new thread. Can anyone tell how long does the upgrade take?

09-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikheil88 Quote
Hey guys, I didn't want to interrupt you but neither I want to start a new thread. Can anyone tell how long does the upgrade take?
I don't remember the exact duration for my K-x update but it was a about a minute or two
09-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yotam Quote
I don't remember the exact duration for my K-x update but it was a about a minute or two
Thank you
09-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
firmware upgrade

thanks everyone for information it was a great help? all done great forum real help
kind regrades eurosun