Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

sync off camera flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've tried searching the forums but cant find the answer even though I'm sure it's an easy one. I recently purchased a vivitar 285hv and want to use it off camera (k110d). What type of cord/cable do I need to fire this and how does it work? Does it have to be a pentax cable or can I use one of the cheaper ones on ebay? I've been into photography only a few months but taught myself to shoot in manual from the beginning, as I've seen this may make a difference from some of the forums I've read. Thanks

10-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have a couple of options.
Hotshoe extension cable - basic undedicated one, should be quite cheap, or radio triggers, again reasonably cheap, and both options should be readily available on eBay.
10-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The cable doesn't need to be Pentax. Mine is similar to this. It works fine for the last 3 years. The "universal" type like this will likely work too (I don't have direct experience, however).

A basic cord that carries only the sync signal will work with the 285HV but I suggest you get a cord that supports p-TTL (the two above) if there is even a remote chance that you later get a p-TTL flash.

The photo below shows a Vivitar flash. But the cord does support p-TTL. I use it with my Pentax 540 flash too. BTW, the flash bracket is recycled from a broken Sunpak 522 flash. It's very light (the handle is hollow).

10-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help. I have a few options now. Much appreciated.

10-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A cord is a device destined to be inadvertently tripped over or yanked on at some point. Get some radio triggers.
10-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IIRC, Vivitar made an extension cord that allowed the auto flash sensor to sit on the camera hot shoe. This made off-camera flash exposure automatic.
10-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
IIRC, Vivitar made an extension cord that allowed the auto flash sensor to sit on the camera hot shoe. This made off-camera flash exposure automatic.
Wouldn't that only be useful for TTL? The key distance is the flash-subject distance and I can't understand why an auto flash sensor would benefit from being mounted on the camera. Camera-subject distance is irrelevant and there's no real need for the camera and the flash unit to communicate.

10-28-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
You are right: Amazon.com: Vivitar SC3 Sensor Cord for 285 & 285HV Flash Units: Camera & Photo. No longer available new, but used ones can be found.
10-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have the Vivitar remote sensor cable. It allows you to choose an auto sensor setting appropriate for your f-stop and then bounce the flash beside or behind you, or move the flash away from the camera, and still get a correct exposure. The sensor remains aimed at the subject instead of whatever direction the flash is pointed in.
10-28-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Wouldn't that only be useful for TTL?
Not necessarily. TTL (and p-TTL) uses the light sensor(s) in the camera body. The flash's light sensor is not used thus where it is located or what direction it is facing doesn't matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The key distance is the flash-subject distance and I can't understand why an auto flash sensor would benefit from being mounted on the camera. Camera-subject distance is irrelevant and there's no real need for the camera and the flash unit to communicate.
That is very true. But in general, especially when you hold the flash with one hand and the camera with another, the difference between the flash-subject distance and the camera-subject distance is negligible. With the light sensor on top of the camera, facing the subject, you can aim the flash head anywhere, e.g. backward to bounce off a wall behind, or upward to bounce off the ceiling, and still get decent exposure. Note that the most popular Vivitar flashes (283 and 285) can not swivel.

I think Sunpak had the best design with the dedicated modules. The modules can be shared by different flash models, from hotshoe mount (433D, 444D, ...) to ring flashes (DX-8R, DX-12R) to hammerheads (555).
10-29-2010, 02:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm so used to doing my off-camera auto-mode flash with the AF280T that it never dawned on me that the 285 doesn't allow for swiveling.
12-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Forum Member

Greetings!
fyi, both the Sunpak Auto 383 Super and the Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1, among others, allow both tilting and swiveling heads.