Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Internet legend and complete and total bunk.
In body IS is invoked the moment the camera is turned on and stays on the entire time the camera is powered up.
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO TURN OFF IN CAMERA SHAKE REDUCTION.
What happens when you press the "SR off" button then?

11-18-2010, 04:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Internet legend and complete and total bunk.
In body IS is invoked the moment the camera is turned on and stays on the entire time the camera is powered up.
IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO TURN OFF IN CAMERA SHAKE REDUCTION.
?
I was always of the belief that my K-x turns it off automagically the instant that an OS/.. lens is attached.
With the inbuilt lens stabilisation taking over the whole role, mainly because it's superior.

Is that not so?

Plus if eg. HDR, or certain Drive modes is enabled, ... AntiShake is killed.

Also what Erik says here -- (in K-x at least, user can do it manually at any time via the INFO button);
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/122890-confused-2.html#post1270701

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-18-2010 at 05:37 AM.
11-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
I was always of the belief that my K-x turns it off automagically the instant that an OS/.. lens is attached.
I don't have a K-x, but I can say with relative certainty that nope, that's not how it's going to work. Pentax has never released any stabilized lenses so there is nothing built into the lens mount or its communication protocol that would allow the camera to ever know whether a lens is stabilized or not.
11-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K-x (and similar bodies) will disable SR everytime it considers that you're going to use it on a tripod. Not because of overheat (what actually overheats is the CMOS sensor, not the magnetic apparatus), but because when on a tripod, SR can actually mess the photo as there's just really small shakes and it tries to compensate for that.

So the camera disables SR when you: set timer, set HDR, start video, etc... Every situation where you would normally be using it on a tripod. In some modes you can still turn SR on again, if you will.

11-18-2010, 08:43 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
I don't have a K-x, but I can say with relative certainty that nope, that's not how it's going to work. Pentax has never released any stabilized lenses so there is nothing built into the lens mount or its communication protocol that would allow the camera to ever know whether a lens is stabilized or not.
That might be too, I don't use Pentax lenses anyway. I was only going by what Sigma themselves indicate for their native OS equipped lenses, specifically those for Pentax platforms. (and they are adding the function along with HSM to more of their range now, including K)

They state it (S.OS) does not work on ist* series and K100D though, so there must be some form of K-mount communication, surely?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 11-18-2010 at 08:52 AM.
11-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #21
Pentaxian

That might be too, I don't use Pentax lenses anyway. I was only going by what Sigma themselves indicate for their native OS equipped lenses, specifically those for Pentax platforms.

They state it (S.OS) does not work on ist* series and K100D though, so there must be some form of K-mount communication, surely?

.R.
I have the Sigma 150-500 with HSM/OS, but there is no note about automatically disabling the body system, nor does it.

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-18-2010 at 09:07 AM.
11-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I have the Sigma 150-500 with HSM/OS, but there is no note about automatically disabling the body system, nor does it.
Hehe, I'm sure you'd quickly know if it didn't too by the red-slashed Green hand.
Then they must mean that their OS works in cooperation with the in-cam SR on Sony and Pentax bodies, sans conflict. ?
Do you find it good on that lens? Worth the extra cost over non-OS?

.R.

11-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erik Quote
What happens when you press the "SR off" button then?
I believe what he means is that the sensor is always held suspended in a magnetic field when the camera is on. If SR is on, it moves in reaction to camera movement. If it is off, it does not react.
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Hehe, I'm sure you'd quickly know if it didn't too by the red-slashed Green hand.
Then they must mean that their OS works in cooperation with the in-cam SR on Sony and Pentax bodies, sans conflict. ?
Do you find it good on that lens? Worth the extra cost over non-OS?

.R.
As posted above, it's one or the other. I use the in-body SR because I like to see how steady I can be with my technique, the lens can be damaged if swapped when OS is on (according to Sigma), and I'd have to edit more of my exif data list...