Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Problem getting started with new zoom lens

I posted the following in a different forum earlier and realized that it was probably the wrong place for it--apologies for cluttering up the site, but I am a beginner! Thanks for your patience.

Hi all,

I just received a brand-new SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] (no longer produced, and widely-known to be in fact a Tamron product), and I can't figure out how to remove the lens hood, which has been placed on the lens backwards for shipping/storage. I don't want to force it and damage the lens, but I'm going to feel silly walking around with a lens with a reversed lens hood on it. (Plus it would really be nice to be able to use said hood with this particular lens. . . .)

It looks like it's a bayonet mount, not a screw mount, and I thought perhaps that because of that it wouldn't necessarily be important whether one turned it clockwise or counter-clockwise to align the connections for removal--but the thing won't budge in either direction, or at least not easily.

Should the lens be put on the camera before I try and remove it? Is it better to have the lens fully extended, or collapsed? Any & all advice would be most welcome, and thank you.

Sincerely,

Neil Hughes
Athens, GA

04-21-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usually you turn it clockwise to remove it- and yes, mount the lens first

It's not likely that you'll damage the lens by applying a little bit of pressure to get it off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-21-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also this is a duplicate, closed.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/141248-problem-...zoom-lens.html

And I don't have a K-x, so the test wouldn't be helpful tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread