Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #1

Fireworks problem

Hello.
I'm new to photography and tried to photograph fireworks for the first time last night, but I have a bit of a problem I hope someone can help me with.

Name:  03.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  79.0 KB
Name:  05.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  52.5 KB

What are those blobs of light and how do I stop it?

Luckily I have another chance next Friday night

Thanks

07-08-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That lens flare. You can Google for advice, but to some extent, it's inevitable when shooting directl into light sources. Certainly, though, if you're using a UV filter, throw it away.
07-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

^^ You know, Marc, you've always had a knack for posting as I'm typing. Grrr. (just kidding

Do you have any filters on the front of your lens? If so, I suggest you remove them. This is light bouncing off some piece of glass, either a filter or a lens element itself, and causing an unwanted reflection in your final image.

If you used no filter on the front of the lens, is this a zoom lens? They (tend) to have more elements and thus more surfaces that light could reflect off. I recently took some shots with my 50-200 that I got unwanted reflections with, and yet with my 15mm and my 40mm prime lenses I got no such reflections.

You can see this sort of unwanted reflection taking sunrise/sunset shots depending on what lens/filter combination you are using.
07-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

By the way nice shots and a little work you can remove those blobs :-)

07-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
vic

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by khardur Quote
^^ You know, Marc, you've always had a knack for posting as I'm typing. Grrr. (just kidding

Do you have any filters on the front of your lens? If so, I suggest you remove them. This is light bouncing off some piece of glass, either a filter or a lens element itself, and causing an unwanted reflection in your final image.

If you used no filter on the front of the lens, is this a zoom lens? They (tend) to have more elements and thus more surfaces that light could reflect off. I recently took some shots with my 50-200 that I got unwanted reflections with, and yet with my 15mm and my 40mm prime lenses I got no such reflections.

You can see this sort of unwanted reflection taking sunrise/sunset shots depending on what lens/filter combination you are using.
No, I wasn't using any filters, but it was a zoom (Sigma 10-20).

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
By the way nice shots and a little work you can remove those blobs :-)
Photoshop is way beyond me

Thank you for all your advice. Buying a Pentax was worth it for this forum alone
07-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only real way to avoid it is to change your shooting angle. With a Constant light source (like the sun) and especially with an ultra wide angle lens, you'll be able to See when this is going to happen in the viewfinder. For instance, I did This on purpose.

K5JS7183_mSpir20f28_June7_2011 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

By changing the shooting angle, I can control If it's there And how much of it is there and where (to some extent) it is.

07-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That lens flare. You can Google for advice, but to some extent, it's inevitable when shooting directl into light sources. Certainly, though, if you're using a UV filter, throw it away.

Excellent advice that I learned the hard way.

Do you go naked with no filter?

07-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use a UV filter at the beach. Otherwise, never.