Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

Tool kit to dismantle old manual lenses

I have an old Vivitar series 1 70-210/3.5 made by Kiron. But the lens seems to have some fungus in some of its inner elements. When I inquired at one of the shops here in India they quoted around $40 for cleaning it, which I think is really huge. So I thought of myself giving a try to clean it. I really do not know what I am venturing into, but aware that it is a pretty complicated design with 15 elements in 10 groups. Can someone please suggest me the tools needed to open it and to clean it? It will be great if you can point to a good, reasonably priced tool kit available at any of the online stores.

Once I procure the essential tools I may start another thread asking for suggestions about the "do"s and "don't"s while venturing into such an act.

Thanks,
Sunil

10-14-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest searching the Internet for existing "how to" guides, I have pulled apart SMC Tak 50 & 200 fixed FL lenses after checking the methods on line & on this forum, some are accessed via the rear & others from the front. Most of the tools used are jeweller style screw drivers phillips head & blade head, plus small pliers. Usually reassembly is the reverse of taking them apart, write down the steps you have taken & keep all the screws safe in labled bags etc.

I would think doing a zoom would not be for the faint hearted.

Good luck.

Regards Kevin

Last edited by kev.pride; 10-14-2011 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling
10-15-2011, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking for something like this? Favorite Classics / Repair Tools

Those lens spanners might come in handy at some point, in my experience....
10-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tmsunil Quote
<snip> When I inquired at one of the shops here in India they quoted around $40 for cleaning it, which I think is really huge.</snip>
I'm not sure if my math is correct, but $40 in US is about 2,000 rupees. Not sure what 2,000 rupees can buy you these days, but I had a Vivitar Series 1 100-500 zoom cleaned about 2 years ago for $120US. While the company I sent it to did a really amazing job, the outcome left a lot to be desired. Fungus comes in many forms and in my humble opinion, I'd keep my money and save up for something newer. Sometimes fungus etches the glass which is what happened in my case.

Cheers

10-15-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the exact same lens with a similar problem. It may be fungus growing under the front element, but I've been told it is more likely the front two elements separating. It's 9 round circles of various sizes (looks more like lens flare in a picture than spidery fungus).

I got a quote to disassemble and clean for $170! Since I only paid $40 for the lens, I declined. The only thing that bothered me was that the camera shop scratched thefront retaining ring trying to unscrew it. Only cosmetic, but still annoying.

I haven't decided what to do with it yet. Please let me know how your effort goes (with photos if you can).
10-15-2011, 10:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have to buy all the tools, they might cost about $40. So It's not such a bad price.

I have repaired stuck aperture blades on this lens, but not disassembled one from the front. Both ends have complications. The rear has the macro setting ring or whatever it's called. That adds some extra pieces to the process. As I remember, you only need small screwdrivers, but some of the screws are well-hidden. The front has the zoom, and it looks like you need a spanner tool for the ring around the front element.
10-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #7
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The front has the zoom, and it looks like you need a spanner tool for the ring around the front element.
That was obviously the problem at the local camera shop. They couldn't get the ring loose.

10-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
@Kevin, thanks for the tip, I will ensure that I do note down the order while taking things apart.

@Rense, that indeed is a nice link. Thanks,

@rormeister, $40 may not be that high considering the complexity of the lens. But I am not quite sure that the shop will do a decent job. I paid almost the same amount to buy it and I do not want to end up with a bad copy after spending $80.

@klh, I see a lot of copies of this lens in eBay with fungus. I wonder if some lens designs are more prone to fungus attack. It's still just a thought, and I do not know if I find enough time and energy to attempt it, But surely I will let you know the result if I ever try it.

@Dave, I know that the tools will cost even more, but if I succeed it will be fun and I will have a lens that I love. If I fail it will be a good learning. Thanks for the information about the lens. I will try get the small screw driver and the spanner that you mentioned.
10-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found some photos I took to help me remember the disassembly steps.

This is after removing the mount and aperture ring. I vaguely remember having to loosen some trim rings like the one with the red dot and arrow on it, and the larger one with focal length markings, to access screws hidden by them. A good source for the small common screwdriver for those tiny slotted screws is an eyeglass repair kit. There's a bearing that makes the aperture ring click at all the stops and maybe another one for the macro ring, so watch for those.

This is an assembly removed from the rest of the lens. I think removing the larger crosspoint screws just below the focus ring in the previous photo allows this section to pull out. I've also remooved the silver-colored slotted ring and some more screws visible in the last photo. The rear element is pointed up here and the assembly is resting in a lens hood for photographic purposes.

That rear assembly comes apart further to access the aperture blades. This is the part above (further from the lens mount) the aperture blades.

This is the lower section with blades in place.

And the same piece with the blades removed.

With so many elements, you can't see the actual surface with fungus, so you'll have to explore a bit. Many times the fungus is just above or below the aperture blades, but that is less likely with this lens because the aperture blades are in their own small assembly. The subassemblies in these photos have several elements in them, in tubes that unscrew in sections.

Last edited by Just1MoreDave; 10-15-2011 at 02:49 PM.
10-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's cool Dave. Did not notice it till today since I was a bit busy, sorry for that. With all these details now it's shame on me I do not get it right.