Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
setting diopter

what is the best way to set the diopter so that manual focus is true to what one thinks is proper focus? doesn't seem to be coinciding with the green dot focus indicator.

10-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/141342-diopter-adj...ml#post1476641

Note that the focus indicator (green hexagon) is based on the autofocus system and thus unrelated to what you see in the viewfinder.

Last edited by baro-nite; 10-31-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Addendum
10-31-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Set it so that the thin (auto focus) framing lines in the view finder appear as sharp as possible.

That ensures that you see the focusing screen "in focus".
11-01-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I set it so the framing lines and also the info in the viewfinder is the sharpest. I wear trifocals.

11-01-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Set it so that the thin (auto focus) framing lines in the view finder appear as sharp as possible.

That ensures that you see the focusing screen "in focus".
To add to this, set your diopter with no lens on the camera,
11-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanks, set with no lens on camera, should camera be turned on ( a k-5 ) ? i guess i can try that, and to baro-nite, it is probably the red focus confirmation that i meant. i should probably turn that off. also, seems like i want to set the sliding diopter thing between two of it's stops for it to be really clear, which seems kind of a pain.
11-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Red indicator is not focus confirmation, it merely tells you which AF point is selected. So maybe that's your problem right there. The focus confirmation indicator is the green hexagon in the middle of the LCD display at the bottom of the viewfinder.

For adjusting diopter it shouldn't matter if you have the camera turned on or off. I prefer the lens-off method and find it more accurate to look at the matte texture rather than the grid lines.

Last edited by baro-nite; 11-01-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: typo
11-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #8

Original Poster
well, the green dot does light up for focus confirmation , even in manual mode, with an smc lens, on my k-5, i don't rely on it though. and the matte screen idea with the lens off worked great, seems like i have the lines in focus now. thanks.
11-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Found this thread earlier today and I reset the diopter on my k-x with the lens off as suggested rather than with an af lens mounted like I'd done before. I use a split screen so don't have the AF guides so I adjusted it 'til the pyramids had hard black lines around them. I've just got back from shooting a techno night using my old, old SMC 50mm 1:7 (mf) without flash and pretty much always on f2:ish and I'd say I've increased my hit rate by a good 20%. I've spent the last year setting myself the challenge of not letting the camera do anything for me (always set to 'm', not using the green button for metering but doing it by eye, and not using the focus-confirm green hexagon.) Yes, I'm a masochist but I figured that that method would give me a better understanding of how to make my camera and lens take the shot that's in my mind's-eye. I do now after a year use the GB and auto lenses and love them, but I don't regret having gone about things the way I have.

That said I still can't believe the difference setting the diopter has made, I felt tonight that my 30 odd year old lens and entry level body were an extension of my own eye and that I was starting to reach the end of the plateau in skills I've been on for months now. I really can't believe that I never particularly considered the lens closest to my eye when I'm shooting...

Last edited by wildweasel; 11-05-2011 at 10:13 PM.
11-06-2011, 04:49 AM   #10

Original Poster
wildweasel, have you tried the magnifiying eyecup? not sure if it fits the kx, i think my favorite lens is the k35 f3.5, aside from the dfa 100wr, which both i use manually, i only get maybe a third of my shots in really good focus using manual focusing, setting the diopter has helped though, the slrs had larger viewfinders maybe ? making it easier to focus with them than dslrs? wish they would concentrate on making good , large viewfinders for dslrs.
11-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Not heard of those magnifying eyecups before, but one's on my to-buy list now. I looked them up and they do fit the kx and seem to have positive reviews. SLRs definitely had larger and brighter viewfinders; I've never really shot on film but I know some guys who do and there is quite a difference when I peer through the VFs on their cameras. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it goes when I get one.