Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Custom image

hi, total Pentax newbie here

I currently have a Canon 550D (T2i), which I use only for video (I only take stills for testing lenses or for timelapses)
I'm thinking of the K-01 as a likely replacement (pending details on image processing and video codec)
shooting video, I won't be able to shoot RAW: I'll have to use a Custom Image setting baked into the image (from what I've seen, that's Pentax equivalent of Canon's Picture Styles), and that will throw a lot of information away

with Canon, there's a utility that comes with the camera that allows anybody to create custom picture styles that can be uploaded to the camera; using that (or something similar), Technicolor created CineStyle, and I created Flaat

I've looked around, but haven't found it: does Pentax have anything like that, or are Custom Images not really customizeable?
(if this can't be done, from what I see at the tests in dpreview, maybe using muted or setting contrast=-4 will be enough for what I want, but I could really do with a way to add a curve setting to the profile)

02-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Custom Image Settings are customizable in the camera. You can't create them on a PC and upload them.

That's how it works on a Pentax DSLR. The K-01 could be different, of course, we don't know yet.
02-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think as early as the K-7/K-x, there have been in camera Custom Image settings. Maybe even with the K20.
Natural, muted, landscape, reverse film and several others. You can adjust the tones, hues, contrast and other properties of any of these Custom Image settings to match what you like.
Photoscape has some interesting treatments in it's editing software. Lots of nice film like treatments.
02-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
I think as early as the K-7/K-x, there have been in camera Custom Image settings. Maybe even with the K20.
Natural, muted, landscape, reverse film and several others. You can adjust the tones, hues, contrast and other properties of any of these Custom Image settings to match what you like.
With my K20D the Custom Image settings are predefined but customizable in terms of contrast, sharpness, saturation and hue, and filtration and toning for B&W settings. For color I'm normally set at Vivid but I'll set contrast as appropriate for the light. (Lower contrast at 12000 ft than at sea level, eh?)

Keep in mind that these are JPG settings. They are stored in RAW files also, and carry-over as defaults in RAW processing, but can quickly be tweaked to your taste, along with whatever other goodies the RAW developer provides. And you can always shoop the hell out of your images. PP is part of the picture-making process.

02-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks a lot everybody

this could be a bit limiting: no matter how you play in-camera, all the Canon picture styles in my 550D (T2i) crush at least two stops of DR - on a K-5, I'd expect that to be closer to 4 (the sensor captures more DR, but the manufacturer designs the presets so that the camera delivers pretty pictures, and that means throwing away a lot of information)

you know when you shoot a still and then, when developing the RAW in the PC, you push up the curve and lots of stuff that was crushed in the shadows comes back to life? well, you can't do that in video: what's crushed in camera, is crushed forever
02-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samuel H Quote
you know when you shoot a still and then, when developing the RAW in the PC, you push up the curve and lots of stuff that was crushed in the shadows comes back to life? well, you can't do that in video: what's crushed in camera, is crushed forever
You can do something like that with the Pentax custom image settings and the D-range corrections. These settings will work with video too. By turning all dials to 11, you can lift something like 4 stops in camera. Details in this old thread, started by yours truly.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/143372-jpeg-shoote...ws-camera.html

And it works well without noisy shadows because of the amazing sensor in the K-5 / K-01.

BTW, I'd love to have a PC utility to design and upload fully custom custom image settings on Pentax. That's so cool.

Regards,
--Anders.
02-09-2012, 03:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks asp1880 - at least I see Pentax may have better in-camera controls for its custom styles
a custom curve setting would be better, but well, I'd have to play with all of this to know what can be done and where are the limitations

let's leave it all on hold until the other unknows are sorted out (downsampling, color subsampling, codec, etc)