Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #1

Recommended Photo Editing Software?

Just bot a used K20D. It did not come with any software, so I will appreciate your recommendations for what I should use! Thanks!

07-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Lightroom 4 but there are also many other options that might be to your liking.
07-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks, SpecialK. Your links were a great help...and helped me see what was here in the Forums.

07-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Corel Aftershot Pro
07-02-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can download a trial version for most programs.

Please dont forgot there are 2 kinds of editors for photography, one is often called a RAW converter but the can handle JPEG as well often, basicly they give you the same controls you have in a darkroom when you develop your photo so you can change colours brightness contrast and things like that but most of the edits are there to make really develop the photo. With the other kind of program, you are talking about pixel editors, programs like Gimp, Photoshop fall here under, they are meant to change and move pixels around in an image so the tools aren't tailored for photography, but since you can do so much more with them it might be what you're looking for.
If you just want to clean up your photo a bit then look at the RAW converters, they are cleaner and therefore easier to learn.
07-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Mac computer that came with iPhoto software. I usually shoot in jpeg and have been pleased with the simplicity of use and the results obtained with iPhoto. I haven't been tempted to use the software that came with my Pentax cameras. I print up to 8 1/2 X 11 inch size and like to make slide shows on DVDs. I might even try to enter pics in competition one day. What I strive for is maximum sharpness in my work even though many experienced photographers often prefer softer shots in some applications. It seems that the people in this, and other threads, don't use iPhoto. Is it too primitive? My needs are quite basic. I don't need to stitch several photos together or any other complex stuff. In my quest for sharper images and good color rendition can I do better if I dump iPhoto?

07-03-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're more interested in photo editing than overall workflow, then I'd recommend Photoshop, preferably CS5 or higher, as they leverage the GPU and have great selection tools. It's expensive, though, so if that's an obstacle then photoshop elements or lightroom are good alternatives.
07-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you're more interested in photo editing than overall workflow, then I'd recommend Photoshop, preferably CS5 or higher, as they leverage the GPU and have great selection tools. It's expensive, though, so if that's an obstacle then photoshop elements or lightroom are good alternatives.
But lightroom is very different program then photoshop though...
07-03-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks for the comments Adam, but apart from their lesser flexibility, what's wrong with iPhoto and the Pentax-supplied software with respect to sharpness of image?
07-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing, but you don't need software to make an image sharp. Start with a basically good image, and editing programs will also output a basically good image. Differences in IQ between different programs are miniscule and almost completely subjective, but differences in capabilities and ease of use can be *enormous*.

Best analogy I can think of is to film camera. All film cameras (of a given film format) are capable of essentially the exact same image quality. It's the difference in capabilities and ease of use that makes one film camera better than another.
07-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Marc:

I have gotten used to iPhoto over the last few years and it more than meets my needs. If, as you say, it gives image quality that is comparable to that which can be obtained with Photoshop, etc. then I think I'll keep using iPhoto even if it is less efficient to use. After all, if post processing gets too easy, my brain might atrophy. I fight that every day.
07-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

can you use selective editing with iphoto, sharpening for example if not that would be one reason when it comes to sharpening and i know 8 different ways to sharpen in photoshop.
07-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm with Adam on Photoshop. But I also agree with him that it is expensive unless you can qualify as a student or instructor. Every program mentioned can do lots to help you fix or process your photos. Photoshop is the industry standard, but it's sibling Lightroom, is cheaper and an excellent choice.
07-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes Anvh, you can use selective editing with iPhoto. However, there is only one way to sharpen and image. iPhoto allows you to alter color temp. color tone, contrast, exposure, saturation, as well as remove red eye, do retouching, reduce noise, etc. So it's quite flexible, at least for my average needs.