Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

I think my mirror is locked on my P3 but i'm not quite sure

Hi. i have a Pentax 3 and have had it for a year and have only used it a few times because i haven't gotten batteries. I'm not sure what is wrong with it. When i look through the camera i can see fine and the numbers show up. But when I move the lever it doesn't lock up after i hit it more than once like it normally does and it advances the film without a problem. But when i hit the button to take a picture nothing happens. The last time that this happened to me i brought it to a store and they said all that was wrong was the batteries needed to be replaced. But i just got the batteries an hour ago and i don't think it is them.
Please help, thank you

03-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It sounds to me like you have a problem like I do with my P3n. The film advance lever does a great job advancing the film, but the shutter is never cocked and won't fire again. I took off the bottom plate of the camera (four screws) and I eventually figured out what part of the mechanism does not reset properly. It's the black piece, shown here in its properly cocked position:

When the arc at the end of that piece is not pressed up against the chrome wheel above it, the advance lever won't stop advancing and the shutter doesn't reset for the next frame. When you advance the film, the black piece moves toward the back of the camera like it is shown here. It just doesn't always return to its proper location as shown above.

My camera needs frequent exercise before starting a roll, but after that works fine. If it doesn't reset, I can just pop the bottom plate off and move the lever. Probably using the thing more often would help. You could always get it serviced.
07-29-2018, 03:19 AM   #3

It worked!

Thanks for the tip. Had a problem with my MEF body locking up- had not used the poor thing for ages. Manipulated the arm in the photo and bingo! Probably needs a drop of sewing machine oil on the pivot mechanism but nonetheless I put it back as was and it works.
02-03-2019, 09:44 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
It sounds to me like you have a problem like I do with my P3n. The film advance lever does a great job advancing the film, but the shutter is never cocked and won't fire again. I took off the bottom plate of the camera (four screws) and I eventually figured out what part of the mechanism does not reset properly. It's the black piece, shown here in its properly cocked position:

When the arc at the end of that piece is not pressed up against the chrome wheel above it, the advance lever won't stop advancing and the shutter doesn't reset for the next frame. When you advance the film, the black piece moves toward the back of the camera like it is shown here. It just doesn't always return to its proper location as shown above.

My camera needs frequent exercise before starting a roll, but after that works fine. If it doesn't reset, I can just pop the bottom plate off and move the lever. Probably using the thing more often would help. You could always get it serviced.

Thank for the valuable tips!

I am experiencing a similar issue now, after getting the mirror unstuck. How did you get that black piece unstuck and stay in the locked position? I can push it down with a small screw driver but then it pops back out.

02-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't have working batteries any more so I can't answer this question.