Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax MX-1 digital super zoom remote question

Hello All

As i said in my intro post, the answer I receive here is going to determine if I buy an MX-1 or not.

I have a Canon 5D MkIII as my every day 'work' camera, but want a pocket carry camera for my other main job ( pilot)

I do not want a interchangeable lens camera, as that adds the possibility of buying lenses and then the issue of having to carry them. I want a pocket P&S camera with a few 'pro ' functions.

I live on a small island (Jersey) that now has only two camera stores, neither which stock the MX-1 or my other contender the Olympus XZ-2

After having gone through all the camera comparison section on dpreview, the two finalists in my short list are as i just said, the MX-1 and the XZ-2.

This question relates to the remote function of the MX-1.

One of my important wants on the camera I buy is a remote function.

I see that the MX-1 does have remote function via IR, with front and rear sensors, but I see not mention of a physical remote port.

BUT I do know that there is a mini usb port on the MX-1 and I also know from here that the Olympus E series have a remote function via the mini USB.

Can anyone tell me if this is also true of the MX-1 or if there is a jack Plug remote socket that I have overlooked. ?
I would not be above opening the camera up if necessary and fitting my own hardwired remote socket if that were required..obviously loosing any warranty .

Your answer determines which I buy..No hard wire remote no sale, which is a shame as the MX-1 is my preferred option of the two

Thanks

Neil

06-11-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lately only the top end DSLR from Pentax will have physical remote wired port.
For MX-1 the answer is no.
Only IR receiver for remote function.
Manual is here http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/man-pdf/mx-1.pdf
Sorry.
Best of luck on your quest.
06-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, i did d/load the manual the other day, but saw nothing ..but that did not mean that there was not some undocumented remote wiring in the USB plug.

But if not..well bugger ..looks like it is the Olympus

Wanted it really for Time lapse, with my Giga Pro II intervalometer
06-11-2013, 03:40 AM   #4
Unregistered User

One idea is to buy a IR-remote, open it and solder a cable to where the button is connected and connect to the intervalometer.

06-11-2013, 04:02 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah too bad the MX-1 does not have built in time lapse shooting like the Q and the Pentax DSLRs.
06-11-2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Neilp Quote
I would not be above opening the camera up if necessary and fitting my own hardwired remote socket if that were required..obviously loosing any warranty.
Surgery to add a wired release port? Heaven Forbid! There is a MUCH easier way.
Make a wired release for any Pentax IR camera

I never had this gizmo fail to trip the shutter. I sold the unit shown in the above post as a bonus when I sold my K-r. The K-30 has a port, so I didn't need it. Or so I thought.... I might make another one as a winter project.
06-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Neilp Quote
Your answer determines which I buy..No hard wire remote no sale, which is a shame as the MX-1 is my preferred option of the two
There is no wired remote port on the camera, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Surgery to add a wired release port? Heaven Forbid! There is a MUCH easier way.
Make a wired release for any Pentax IR camera

I never had this gizmo fail to trip the shutter. I sold the unit shown in the above post as a bonus when I sold my K-r. The K-30 has a port, so I didn't need it. Or so I thought.... I might make another one as a winter project.

Neat does this work for BULB shutter release as well do you know?
06-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Sure. You have two options for bulb exposure in the Menu*. 'Press and hold' or 'press to open, press again to close'. If it is your hand doing the exposure, I recommend the double press option. If you are using an external timer (possible with modified IR remote), 'press and hold' is probably the better option.

*I know that the K-x, K-r, K-30 and K-5 all have this menu option. I would guess that the Mx-1 does too, but you should check that camera's manual for bulb exposure options.
06-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just searched through the Manual with the terms remote and also another search with bulb.

Could not find the option you mention.

Maybe if any MX-1 owners or someone going near a store that has an MX-1 could look for me, there are none in the two stores on the island where I live.

But still it is a lot of extra work since the XZ-2 has the functions I want with no hacking required
06-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Went for the Olympus in the end..no offerings from Pentax at the moment that fitted my requirements