Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2009, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Jinfinance Split Image Focus Screen is good :)

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I bought the Jinfinance split image focus screen for my *ist DS as an aid for using manual focus lenses.

I really like it a lot

I recommend it

Install guides are here

R.J. sent me their new double 45 degree split screen

It works fine

Here is a pic of the viewfinder, it's not a very good pic but I think you get the idea.

The *ist DS has a bright penta-prism (as opposed to a dark penta-mirror) so manual focusing is a treat. Though I'm not sure if this screen would help any in a penta-mirror rig.

I got a little dust in mine because I didn't set up a surgical sanitary environment (I should have taken the time) but otherwise install is easy as pie - especially since the *ist D series are meant to have user swappable focus screens.

So that's that. A quick review. This sub-thirty-dollar focus screen is nice for me

Have fun!
Craig

09-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for your quick review. I recently ordered a Jinfinance focusing screen for my K-m/K2000. It was delayed on the shipping for like 4 days since he had to make the shim for me. Hopefully it will arrive by next week, I'm excited to test it out.
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good luck Just clean everything triple well, read the install guide twice before the screen arrives and buy all the necessary tools. Then simply relax when you install it, it's easy as long as you take your time.

If you are already a camera repair guy disregard my n00bie advice
09-02-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

How's the accuracy? I'm especially interested in accuracy of micro-prism collar; if that's accurate, then split-screen is probably accurate too Also, what about blacking out?

09-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The accuracy was spot on for me and my *ist DS, it did not require a shim.

As for the black out, well I used it with an f/8 lens briefly and it was doable. I also used it with the 18-55 DA (autofocus) lens and the screen's focus coincided with the camera's autofocus.

It's cheap and reversible. Also pretty easy to install. If you like to use manual focus lenses I'd definitely try it.

Cheers,
Craig
09-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Yeah, I know, I have one but not from jinfinance. I bought one a while ago, and I'm pretty sure I just picked a random seller I had to play around with shims for a while - and right now it works fine for split-screen, but I rely more on microprism, and microprism is a pita to adjust... So now I'm looking for one that's gonna work straight out of the box with no shims.
09-02-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
pbo
Veteran Member

Aw! He doesn't have double-split prisms anymore... I wanted one Well, will have to wait, I guess!

09-03-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think you have to contact him to ask for a double split screen. You can get the "toolkit" for a few bucks additional as well.

The toolkit was a couple finger cots and a couple tweezers, but it worked for me. I wish I would have had a bulb blower as well like the instructions stated.

Oh one thing I should mention - the screen comes with like a clear plastic film on both sides, almost like protective tape. I had to dawn a finger cot and remove it, that was kind of a pain in the aRse but I'm sure it's necessary for protection. I only mention it so you won't accidentally install the screen with the film on it.

Have fun
Craig

Last edited by spystyle; 09-03-2009 at 03:40 AM.
09-03-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For others in the same boat as me - I mailed him - he has no screens for K7 yet, But planning to make them.
09-03-2009, 04:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe you could make one by removing the focus screen from an old broken K1000 or ME, I see them for $10 broken on eBay sometimes.

Maybe trace your screen onto it's screen then use a belt sander to shape it? I read that here in PentaxForums.

Maybe a dremel could be used?

In a worst case scenario you are only out 10 bucks.

I would wear medical gloves when handling the screens to avoid fingerprints on them. And eye protection while cutting to avoid particles in the eyes.

Good luck!
Craig
09-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I think you have to contact him to ask for a double split screen. You can get the "toolkit" for a few bucks additional as well.

The toolkit was a couple finger cots and a couple tweezers, but it worked for me. I wish I would have had a bulb blower as well like the instructions stated.

Oh one thing I should mention - the screen comes with like a clear plastic film on both sides, almost like protective tape. I had to dawn a finger cot and remove it, that was kind of a pain in the aRse but I'm sure it's necessary for protection. I only mention it so you won't accidentally install the screen with the film on it.

Have fun
Craig
Hehe, I did contact him, and he told me to just buy the single-split version and include a note that I want the double-split version.
I have the "toolkit" from my previous screen, and I know how to install it I've heard of someone installing the screen with the film
09-19-2009, 01:02 AM   #12

my jinfinance´s focusing screen is not OK..

hello dear colleagues. Yesterday I installed new diagonal split circle focusing screen into K20 and all of my 6 lenses are not usable with it. When I am using AF, my picture is sharp, but screen shows something different-I am out of focus. When my hand is guided by split circle or micro prisms, photos are blurred/out of focus. Can somebody help me? Thanks in advance
09-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I have the same screen, and have had the same problems. By accident I discovered that when I'm not using my glasses, but contacts, it was suddenly spot on. You should also try to adjust the diopter adjustment in the viewfinder, as this also seems to affect the split-screen image in some way or another. (Place on tripod, AF on a high contast target, adjust diopter slide until good)

There could also be some problems related to a shim we should have, as the screen is 0,03mm thinner than a real Pentax one.
09-19-2009, 03:53 AM   #14

hello freeload. I tried what you described, but unfortunately it doesnt helped me. I am not wearing glasses. I moved slider completely to - value(right side) and still circles are not in line. When I align them, I have backfocus issue(tested on Yvon´s Bourque AF adjustment chart).

Any ideas?I am going to write Pentax importer in Slovakia if shims are available to purchase. everybody I know and has DSLR is canikon, so no help available...
09-19-2009, 04:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found that my Jin Finance screen is very accurate in my "*ist DS" but it get's a little tricky at apertures larger than f/2 at close distances (such shallow depth of field)